Cleaning question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
K5MOW

Cleaning question

Post by K5MOW » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:17 am

Good morning all

Just wanted to ask a quick question. Is it safe to use white vinegar to clean your mask hose and water chamber.

Thanks Roger
Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea

Airsense 10 Autoset AirStart 10 CPAP

Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask

Roger

Cardsfan

Re: Cleaning question

Post by Cardsfan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:22 am

My sleep Dr told me 1/3 vinegar, mix with 2/3 water. I do that, then wash with baby shampoo to get rid of the vinegar smell. Baby wipes (non alcohol) work well too for a quick touch up.

Avoid alcohol and anti bacterial soaps.

SleepyVegas

Post by SleepyVegas » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:47 am

I wipe my mask every morning, and drain the water chamber. Once a week, I use a mixer of vinegar, and water, 1/4 to 3/4 water on the chamber, hose and mask. Then wash it all in a baby wash, rinse them and let air dry.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:27 am

My opinion is that soap and water alone are just fine. Maybe use hot water if your skin is oily. If your tank gets a film or mold or whatever then search in the box above for salt trick.

I don't think vinegar mixed with water can do any harm, it's just another PITA thing to do.
Here's what I found about the salt trick - there's a couple of different techniques:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108168&p=1031955&hi ... k#p1031955

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:08 pm

If you look at the mask cleaning instructions for your mask, it says not to use it. I don't use it to clean my masks. I wipe down my mask every morning with baby wipes, then wash the mask every week or two in baby shampoo. As Noddin' stated, a little won't hurt. In fact, I do use it as a part of my boiling mask cushion reciepe.

Sheriff

LJ Mpls

Post by LJ Mpls » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:44 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:If you look at the mask cleaning instructions for your mask, it says not to use it. I don't use it to clean my masks. I wipe down my mask every morning with baby wipes, then wash the mask every week or two in baby shampoo. As Noddin' stated, a little won't hurt. In fact, I do use it as a part of my boiling mask cushion reciepe.

Sheriff

Sheriff, what is your boiling mask cushion recipe? I'm having trouble with the chemicals in the mask/tubing and want to off gas it so I can use it, this sounds like it might help. Thanks, LJ

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:08 am

Funny that this just came up again. I only use distilled water in the chamber, and some time ago, I'd read a post from someone saying that it wasn't necessary to clean the chamber since it is only being filled with clean water. (I'd also read it wasn't necessary to clean the hose, since nothing but clean air traveled through it). I found out last night that that is just not true. My chamber nearly ran dry around midnight last night. I got up to fill it, and with half open eyes, thought I saw some kind of debris inside. I rinsed it out, but it still didn't look right. I poked inside of it with a Q-tip, and picked up a red tint. I then started rinsing it out with vinegar and dish washing liquid. It still looked like there was something on the bottom. That's when I discovered that the chamber opened up. I didn't realize that I had the Resmed cleanable H5i chamber, with the large tabs on each side that snap out. Well, I was pretty horrified to find a coating or red slime all over the metal part of the chamber. I thoroughly cleaned it with bleach. Needless to say, I'll be returning to the cleaning procedures I had used when I first got on the hose.

Related Information - I just found a video that shows how to open the chamber that isn't suppose to come apart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scg8Nc9LkRo

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:57 am

LJ Mpls wrote:
Sheriff Buford wrote:If you look at the mask cleaning instructions for your mask, it says not to use it. I don't use it to clean my masks. I wipe down my mask every morning with baby wipes, then wash the mask every week or two in baby shampoo. As Noddin' stated, a little won't hurt. In fact, I do use it as a part of my boiling mask cushion reciepe.

Sheriff

Sheriff, what is your boiling mask cushion recipe? I'm having trouble with the chemicals in the mask/tubing and want to off gas it so I can use it, this sounds like it might help. Thanks, LJ
Here it is thanks to M'olhms, Sheriff
Boiling Mask Cushions
To boil my cushion, I wash it first, followed by a vinegar/water soak for 20 minutes. Then I take a small pan, put enough distiller water in it to cover the cushion, add a tablespoon or so of baking soda, and bring to a boil. Then I turn the heat down to a simmer, drop the cushion face-side down into the water and let it simmer for 3 minutes. Then turn the cushion over for 1 minute, and over again for another minute. When finished, rinse well and let air dry. It should look like new again and have that new feel to it. Like I said, I have been able to extend the like of my cushion for many months by using this method. My signal for needing to do this is when my normally well-fitting cushion becomes leaky.

Oltremare

Post by Oltremare » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:38 pm

Sheriff Buford wrote: Here it is thanks to M'olhms, Sheriff
Boiling Mask Cushions
To boil my cushion, I wash it first, followed by a vinegar/water soak for 20 minutes. Then I take a small pan, put enough distiller water in it to cover the cushion, add a tablespoon or so of baking soda, and bring to a boil. Then I turn the heat down to a simmer, drop the cushion face-side down into the water and let it simmer for 3 minutes. Then turn the cushion over for 1 minute, and over again for another minute. When finished, rinse well and let air dry. It should look like new again and have that new feel to it. Like I said, I have been able to extend the like of my cushion for many months by using this method. My signal for needing to do this is when my normally well-fitting cushion becomes leaky.

I followed your advice. I boiled the cushion with distilled water and baking soda.
The cushion is like new. Tonight I'll try to sleep with it but I'm sure it will be beautiful.
Good advice for me.
Thanks so much!

I hope you will forgive my language errors. To write in English I use a translator online. Thank you

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:53 pm

I use mostly unscented soap and water, but if there is a touch of mold,
I kill it with white vinegar. I also clean hard water deposits with it.
Time to dig out the big jug. My distiller and my steamer are both full of gritty film.

Sonnyboy

Post by Sonnyboy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:21 pm

Oltremare wrote:
Sheriff Buford wrote: Here it is thanks to M'olhms, Sheriff
Boiling Mask Cushions

I followed your advice. I boiled the cushion with distilled water and baking soda.
The cushion is like new. Tonight I'll try to sleep with it but I'm sure it will be beautiful.
Good advice for me.
Thanks so much!
Does this recipe work for P10 pillows, Dreamwear cushions, Dreamwear frames?