Made it through first six weeks of CPAP!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
weroberts75

Made it through first six weeks of CPAP!

Post by weroberts75 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:07 am

I am a new user on CPAPtalk.com. My CPAP therapy began on January 6, 2016. I’ve picked up lots of good advice here, so I thought I’d briefly share my experience.

I started with the Swift FX nasal pillows. I had good periods of sleep, but never more than a few hours. Perhaps due to my history of mouth breathing, it was very difficult to maintain the correct tongue position and avoid mouth leak. I tried a chinstrap, but all it did was create jaw tension and anxiety. Also, due to my narrow nasal passages, the nasal pillows created a lot of noise in my nose. After three weeks I had to try something else.

I then switched to the Mirage FX nasal mask, which was much quieter. Breathing with it felt much more natural. I also discovered that using Breathe Right strips under the mask helped me to get a better airflow and a better mask seal. In fact, I was getting a perfect mask seal every night before I finally gave up on the nasal mask. My mouth just isn’t made to stay closed completely, even when all of my breathing is through my nose. I needed a mask that would let me breathe the way I was designed to breathe.

Two days ago I switched to the Quattro Air full face mask. I’ve made a lot of adjustments with the headgear the past two nights, but the mask seems to be comfortable now and gives me a good seal. I slept for six hours straight last night without needing to adjust, and that’s a miracle for me. Today I feel great, the best I’ve felt in a couple of months. I’m looking forward to seeing where life goes from here.

OkyDoky

Re: Made it through first six weeks of CPAP!

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:23 am

Welcome. It's great when things start to come together and help us get the results we need. If you don't have your Clinical manual yet here is a link to it. https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf
And if you want to monitor your data let us know and we will help get you set up with Sleepyhead.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:55 pm

Thank you! I have the manual and other literature they gave me. My focus hasn't been great, but now I'm at a point again where I feel up to reading a bit more, so I'll check it out.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:32 pm

weroberts75 wrote:Thank you! I have the manual and other literature they gave me. My focus hasn't been great, but now I'm at a point again where I feel up to reading a bit more, so I'll check it out.
they probably didn't give you the manual that OkyDoky suggested you get.

Last edited by palerider on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:54 pm

Maybe a back up machine. Nobody can have just one.

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:07 am

palerider wrote:
they probably didn't give you the manual that OkyDoky suggested you get.
You're right! OkyDoky's has a lot of extra pages. Thank you for pointing that out.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:50 pm

weroberts75 wrote:
palerider wrote: they probably didn't give you the manual that OkyDoky suggested you get.
You're right! OkyDoky's has a lot of extra pages. Thank you for pointing that out.
and lots of extra, valuable information.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

weroberts75

Four months of CPAP now!

Post by weroberts75 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:27 am

It's been four months now. I couldn't get a good seal above my nose with the Quattro Air, so I switched to the Amara View.

I got tired of air leak under my nose with the Amara View, plus I wasn't getting enough air through my nose and my AHI's were higher.

This past week I switched to the Mirage Liberty. After using it for four nights, I am getting a good supply of air through my nose again.
Also, my AHI's last night were 0.3. That's only one every three hours! They have never been that low.

I am now in love with the Mirage Liberty. For me, it is no less comfortable than nasal pillows. However, it has the benefit that it
doesn't wake me up in the middle of the night when my mouth falls open.

Billy
Edmond, OK