first night, first timer

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dontknowhowtodeal

first night, first timer

Post by dontknowhowtodeal » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Last night was my first night and I am a first time user. I, like most people I suppose, didn't want to be diagnosed with sleep apnea. I am having difficulty wearing the mask because I feel claustrophobic after several minutes. The first time I put it on, I could only take it a few minutes before I ripped it off. I repeated my attempts hoping that it would get better and when it didn't, I got very upset because my friends who have a CPAP say they slept well the first night. I only managed a total time of use of a little over an hour. How do I conquer this feeling of claustrophobia?

Wulfman...

Re: first night, first timer

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:14 pm

dontknowhowtodeal wrote:Last night was my first night and I am a first time user. I, like most people I suppose, didn't want to be diagnosed with sleep apnea. I am having difficulty wearing the mask because I feel claustrophobic after several minutes. The first time I put it on, I could only take it a few minutes before I ripped it off. I repeated my attempts hoping that it would get better and when it didn't, I got very upset because my friends who have a CPAP say they slept well the first night. I only managed a total time of use of a little over an hour. How do I conquer this feeling of claustrophobia?
First of all, it would help if you would fill out your profile with the exact equipment (make and model) you're using and the settings.
Second, the vast majority of the users on this forum have taken control of their own therapy. We've tweaked our settings to optimize our therapy.......pressure, exhale relief, humidity, etc.

Too often the doctors and DMEs just hand this stuff to the users and expect them to figure it out on their own. That's where they hopefully find this forum and get their therapy on track.

Claustrophobia can be caused by many things.......pressure too low or too high, Ramp pressure too low or Ramp time too long, Heated Humidity (HH) set too high, exhale relief the wrong settings, etc., etc., etc.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

dontknowhowtodeal

Post by dontknowhowtodeal » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:30 pm

thanks for the response. I have filled in the profile to the best of my ability, which is poor right now as I don't know the lingo. I have an Amara View minimal contact full face mask, which isn't on the list as far as I could tell. And the temperature of the air may be part of the problem. I did notice that the temperature did change, got warmer. Also, I am not sure whether I should breathe through my nose or my mouth, The mask is supposed to accommodate both. Also, I was not instructed on how to change any of the settings and I don't know how to interpret whether a setting is wrong or not.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Your Machine didn't show up. Some links are broken. If it is a Respironics you can find a REF# on the blower unit and that identifies it. Be sure and take out the water before you turn it over. If it is a ResMed unit there is usually a name on front or top. You can type the name and number in the Equipment comments section and it will show. Do you have a heated hose?
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Right now, the important thing is to get used to the mask so that you can wear it all night, every night. To desensitize your face to the mask, try wearing it during the day while you are doing something to keep your mind off your mask. Watching TV in the evening is a good time to practice this. You don't have to have your CPAP turned on, or even connected for that matter. Just wear the mask. Subconsciously, you should start accepting the mask and trusting that you won't suffocate with it on.

After you have success wearing the mask for a week or so, we can start talking about specific things concerning your therapy/machine.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:45 pm

You should be able to download the clinical manual with this link.

https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf

You'll need to determine (and note in your profile) which specific machine you have. A "plain" Airsense is a straight-pressure CPAP that collects no useful data. An Elite model is a straight-pressure machine that is fully data-capable. And, an Autoset model is a fully data-capable model that can be set to run in a range of pressures.

It is usually recommended that the new user set up the machine in a comfortable environment where they can wear it while watching television or something like that. That way, you can become more accustomed to wearing it while awake or taking naps.
Yes, this is a new way of sleeping and breathing, but you can do it.
You'll get used to the new terminology in short order. It's like learning anything else.

And, if they gave you a machine that doesn't collect data, you should see about getting it exchanged for the Elite or Autoset.
If you have a data-capable machine, you can use the "Sleepyhead" software to convert your nightly data into easily readable reports to be able to track your progress.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

SleepyVegas

Post by SleepyVegas » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:49 pm

Welcome, this forum has a wealth of information and it is a great resource and users with a wide breadth of knowledge. If has not been mentioned, try to get acclimated with the mask not while sleeping. It can help with the new "alien" attached to ya . If you could share your machine settings as well or what is your pressure settings. More often, it is common to have too little pressure with machines having a ramp time on.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:02 pm

dontknowhowtodeal wrote:Also, I am not sure whether I should breathe through my nose or my mouth, The mask is supposed to accommodate both.
It's best to breath in and out through your nose as long as you have no difficulty nose breathing. The mask you have will prevent you from losing therapy pressure if while asleep you breath through your mouth. Mouth breathing is something that is difficult to prevent for some people and that is why there is a need for FF mask. But some people that start with a FF mask have discovered that they can use nasal masks with some adaptation. The important thing is preventing leaks that lose therapy.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

dontknowhowtodeal

Post by dontknowhowtodeal » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:30 pm

I am indeed grateful for all your responses and welcome the suggestions. I am sorry about supplying the name of the products but they are not on the list in the profile.
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for her with Humidity/Climate Line
The tubing I am assuming gets heated.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:40 pm

The Autoset is a great full data machine. Just add Autoset to the comment line where you already have ResMed Airsense Autoset10
That way it will be in each of your comments.
With the climateline tubing attached it goes directly to auto settings and this is fine for most people. Good news is that you can put it into manual and adjust the humidity level and tube temperature separately. The manual that Wulfman linked to shows you how to do this.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:41 pm

dontknowhowtodeal wrote:I am indeed grateful for all your responses and welcome the suggestions. I am sorry about supplying the name of the products but they are not on the list in the profile.
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for her with Humidity/Climate Line
The tubing I am assuming gets heated.
That great. That's a fully data-capable machine. Lots of data available.

Den

User since 05/14/05

dontknowhowtodeal

Post by dontknowhowtodeal » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:50 pm

All I know about my settings is that it is set to go from 5-15. If I don't use the machine but only put the mask on, won't that effect my compliance?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:53 pm

dontknowhowtodeal wrote:All I know about my settings is that it is set to go from 5-15. If I don't use the machine but only put the mask on, won't that effect my compliance?

You are correct. Compliance hours only count when the machine is on and you are using it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:57 pm

dontknowhowtodeal wrote:I am sorry about supplying the name of the products but they are not on the list in the profile.
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for her
it is:
AirSense™ 10 AutoSet For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

dontknowhowtodeal

Post by dontknowhowtodeal » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:07 pm

I am going to try again tonite wearing it to sleep but this time I will lie on bed instead of sitting in my recliner chair. Advice anyone?