Surprised at How Good the Resmed Bag Was for Traveling

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Thatgirl

Surprised at How Good the Resmed Bag Was for Traveling

Post by Thatgirl » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:55 pm

I travelled by plane with my PAP for the first time since having it recently. I had a roller bag I checked, and my Resmed bag and a small backpack I carried on. When I had all three bags, I tried to hang the Resmed bag around the handle of my roller bag. It flapped all around. Only on my return trip did I realize the velcro strap on the back was literally placed there exactly for mounting it to roller bag pull handles. Nice touch, Resmed. Throwing it out there in case anyone else traveling with their machine is a naive as I was.

Usually ~EPAP 6, IPAP 12
Loving Sleepyhead!

palerider

Re: Surprised at How Good the Resmed Bag Was for Traveling

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:11 pm

Thatgirl wrote:Only on my return trip did I realize the velcro strap on the back was literally placed there exactly for mounting it to roller bag pull handles. Nice touch, Resmed.
I like the fact that Resmed machines are just better engineered, down to the quality and design of the cases they ship with the machines. while respironics bags are really quite flimsy and offer no padding, resmed bags are well padded, with individual padded pockets, and nice touches like the velcro net, extra pockets, and that handle strap for roller bags

the engineering is even more visible inside the units.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:18 am

palerider wrote:
Thatgirl wrote:Only on my return trip did I realize the velcro strap on the back was literally placed there exactly for mounting it to roller bag pull handles. Nice touch, Resmed.
I like the fact that Resmed machines are just better engineered, down to the quality and design of the cases they ship with the machines. while respironics bags are really quite flimsy and offer no padding, resmed bags are well padded, with individual padded pockets, and nice touches like the velcro net, extra pockets, and that handle strap for roller bags

the engineering is even more visible inside the units.
I can't comment on the Respironics bags, but I think the ResMed bags are great! I've got three from three different machines and agree that they are well built and engineered. Aside from their intended purpose for which they work perfectly, occasionally I will use one as a carry on for personal items as well.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:49 am

I have several Philips Respironics machines and cases, and just got the Resmed a couple weeks ago. The carry case for Resmed is far superior. The PRS1 gets packed into a soft bag that is relatively short and wide compared to Resmed. There is very little padding, the hose fits in a net in the lid, and things tend to flop around. The PRS1 machine stays assembled to the humidifier when packed. In the Respironics setup, the taller thinner bag is better padded and has compartments for the blower and humidity chamber, and a netted compartment for the hose. It is a lot better to carry the thinner bag which resembles a laptop case rather than a shoe box.

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:17 am

Most people never travel with a cpap. I suspect that is one reason why companies like Philips Respironics don't bother to provide a decent travel case with every machine. Also, it offers them the opportunity to up-sell you on a proper travel-case.

This didn't use to be the case for Philips Respironics. My travel apap is an older M-series. The standard case for it is decent (but still not perfect) for travel. It has a nice form factor, too, which allows it to easily fit inside a larger case, if desired, or carried over the shoulder much in the same way one would carry a camera bag.

Kudos to Resmed for providing a decent travel case with every machine.
I'm workin' on it.

GettingBetter

Post by GettingBetter » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:25 am

My F&P Icon has a very nice travel case. Room enough for hose, mask some cleaning wipes and filters. I thought all CPAPs came with a travel case. Huh.

Mr Snuffy

Post by Mr Snuffy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:34 pm

My PAP will be used more on the road than at home. I travel over 280 days a year. I have had my PAP for just over a week and will be flying again tomorrow. So far it has not been a problem.

I usually have 2 checked bags, a backpack for my laptopS and now add my PAP to keep my hands full. I am loaded down when traveling because it will be months before I am able to get back home. I have had the airlines want to check my backpack and I have to let them know I have 2 laptops (work and personnel)along with several lithium batteries in my bag. Most the time they hear this and it is okay to carry on. Now with my second carry on (PAP) I am not sure what I will do when the space on the floor in front of me is taken by my backpack and there is no overhead space left.

I have the Resmed air sense 10 bag also and do like the compartments and padding. I just hope it can put up with being lugged around for the next few years. So far i like it but may either have to find a replacement in time or something better if there is anything out there.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:49 pm

I wonder if carrying a cpap helps in getting early boarding.
Maybe not; but certainly worth a shot.

Thatgirl

Post by Thatgirl » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:54 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I wonder if carrying a cpap helps in getting early boarding.
Maybe not; but certainly worth a shot.
Not sure about early boarding, but as a medical device it would definitely have priority for overhead storage space.

Usually ~EPAP 6, IPAP 12
Loving Sleepyhead!

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:52 pm

Thatgirl wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:Not sure about early boarding, but as a medical device it would definitely have priority for overhead storage space.
If you are traveling inside the US or to and from the US, that would be true. If you flight originates outside the US to a non-US destination you better check to make sure they won't charge you for an extra bag and see if there is any special privs for carry on.

Not sure what Resmed you are using (equipment stuff is not showing on the forum for anyone right now, just signatures).

For me, the S9 VPAP the bag is great. Enough room to put a few extras like an extension cord w/5 outlet on the end, phone charger. Don't travel much though.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:05 pm

Airsense 10 Autoset for her; original, small case.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:19 pm

Hose_Head wrote:Most people never travel with a cpap. I suspect that is one reason why companies like Philips Respironics don't bother to provide a decent travel case with every machine. Also, it offers them the opportunity to up-sell you on a proper travel-case.
Respironics seems to do the "cheap with addons" pricing scheme.

with the 60 series, they'd sell the base machine, "you want a heated hose?, pay extra for a new humidifier cover" "you want a travel case? pay extra for one" etc.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:33 pm

Not all foam is the same.
I like the high density foam used in my Resmed cases, even the S9's.

Mr Snuffy

Post by Mr Snuffy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:42 pm

Krelvin wrote:
Thatgirl wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote: Not sure what Resmed you are using (equipment stuff is not showing on the forum for anyone right now, just signatures).
ResMed Airsense 10 auto w/airfit p10

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:59 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Not all foam is the same.
I like the high density foam used in my Resmed cases, even the S9's.
they don't even use any appreciable amount of foam in the respironics bag. (can't call it a case, it has no structure.)

the sides are, at most, 1/4th as thick as resmeds, and you can roll the whole thing up into a cylinder about 8" long and 2" in diameter.... without any effort.