Mask Leaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kls278

Mask Leaks

Post by kls278 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:56 pm

I currently have an Amara Gel full face mask and repeatedly throughout the night I wake up with air blowing in my eyes. Has anyone tried the mask liners or have any suggestions to stop the leaks? I've been using the Cpap 6 months now and still feel exhausted. Started with a nasal mask and doctor wanted me to use full mask because I tend to breathe through my mouth due to a deviated septum. The Amara was the only option I was offered.

Thanks!

Sheriff Buford

Re: Mask Leaks

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:56 am

Mask liners can help and worth a try. You can make some temporary ones out of some old t-shirts. Full face masks are what you need if you can't stop mouth breathing, but you should be able to try on and select any mask you want. I am not sure where you are getting your mask, but you used the term "only one I was offered". Try out the Resmed F10. It is a very popular mask and it is very light weight. Try on a bunch of masks (wherever you get them). If you bought shoes, you'd put them on and walk around a bit. Do the same for a mask. Try on the mask on and have them hook you to a display machine with the pressure set at your therapy level. Heck, get on the floor and roll around a bit. I went thru 6 or 7 masks until I found one that was comfortable and was leak-free. Hope this helps!

Sheriff

kls278

Post by kls278 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:23 am

Thanks Sherriff! When I say its the only one I was offerred it is because my insurance contracts through a local medical supply delivery company. When I went in because the doctor wanted me to switch to the full face mask the respiratory therapist only had the amara to offer (I did have an appt and she had plenty of time to order more). Once she determined the size she thought I needed she checked under pressure and it leaked so she tightened the straps. She made it very clear she did not think I needed the full mask because she had originally decided on a nasal mask for me. I've been dealing with them for 6 months now and each time they order replacement supplies its a different cost. I was due for a replacement mask in December while i was still covered under my deductible but the person who does the ordering took off the whole month so back to 100% out of pocket. I cant keep missing work to go back so I have decided now I will just have to order my own elsewhere.

Mr Nifty

Post by Mr Nifty » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:46 am

Xpap therapy does not benefit you if you have major leakage issues. My DME has a limited amount of masks available. I tried everyone of them and all had MAJOR leaks. So I am paying out of pocket to have productive therapy. I accept the masks and supplies the DME gives me due to insurance full coverage. I than sell them online. This money covers the masks supplies I need.
Some online xpap websites give you a 30 day trial. This is how I found a mask that actually works for me. I use a resmed mirage activa lt. It's a nasal mask you wear loosely. Some how it doesn't leak much. I am a side sleeper. I also use a resmed chin strap. I am training myself to only wear a chin strap some nights. And it seems to be working.

I'"m still in search of a full face mask that doesn't leak. The Mirage quattro ffm is the best I have tried thus far.

Each person has a unique face and also how they sleep on a pillow. The perfect mask for me may not be perfect one for you. Just don't give up and keep trying.
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016
Masks I have tried
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow, Dreamwear -Nasal

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:00 pm

kls278,

So the doc says you need a full face mask, but the respiratory therapists things you would probably be ok with a nasal mask.

Some questions:

1) What make and model is your machine?

2) If your machine records full efficacy data, what does the leak data indicate when you wear a nasal mask?

Here's the thing: If the leaks with the nasal mask are in the acceptable range and you don't wake up several times a night with air blowing in your eyes from a mask leak, you'd be better off using a nasal mask. But if the leaks with nasal mask are often official Large Leaks and they last for relatively long periods of time, then you will need a FFM. But unless the doc or the respiratory therapist looked at some of detailed leak data, they're just making guesses about what you need.

mralaska

Post by mralaska » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:24 pm

In my (soon to be changed) profile picture I am wearing a hacked up mask that came with a used CPAP machine but it was too large for me and kept riding up my nose to blow in my eyes. I removed the over-head strap from my camping headlamp and used it to add a chin strap to the mask. Obviously not enough power to use as a real chin strap but it did help keep the mask in place until I could find a better fitting mask solution.

Do not believe a word I say until Pugsy or PaleRider has had a chance to review!

Cheers,
Paul

otrpu

Post by otrpu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:34 am

kls278,
Take look at my smaller sized FFM. Link is in my equip listing below. Hope you find what works for you.

Cheers,
otrpu