SleepyHead Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

SleepyHead Question

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:28 am

Hey there:

I started using sleepyhead software and when I put SD card in my reader, I put it on write-protect as recommended, and saw data perfectly. But then, when I put it back in my machine and after I turned off write protect, it's now not reading data to the card.

Any thoughts?

Do they lock it if they know we are reading it ourselves?

Do I now need to ask them for new card?

Thanks,
Bob

amenite

Re: SleepyHead Question

Post by amenite » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:09 am

What machine? And I am assuming you meant "...now it's not writing data to the card". Not sure which machine you are using but my PRS1 (both 460 and 560 models) never cared if the physical SD card switch was in the locked or unlocked position - the machine always wrote data to the card either way. So try re-seating the card one or two times, gently remove and re-insert once or twice and see if that helps.

As for a new card, there is nothing special about these data cards and you can pick up a small capacity generic SD card 1GB or 2GB for less than $10 as a tester. If it works you've got a spare to deliver to your DME or doctor or any provider than asks for your data.

Diamondminek

Post by Diamondminek » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:29 am

i think i am having a similar problem, while also breaking card readers at a rate of knots. used it twice fine, went to read it a third time and am only getting summary data - time used and ahi.

amenite

Post by amenite » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:41 am

If you've ever seen the innards of one of these card readers they are often constructed very very minimally and would not be too hard to damage. Try to be gentle with them and use only the minimum force required to remove and insert the cards. It helps to have at least one spare blank card around for testing - without that you really can't know if it's the card, the reader, or the operator's error

mralaska

Post by mralaska » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:10 am

When I was using the standard SD card and forgot to turn off the write protection my machines would pop up a card read error or something like that. Even if I remembered to turn off write protection I sometimes had to remove it and turn the switch on and off again.

I since changed to a Flashair/Flashpap combination and been much happier. Any SD card I tried in them worked but I don't know how large a card they will support. The card readers have worked for years for many members but they were not actually designed to remove as often as we tend to do which was one of my motivations for switching to the WIFI card.

Do not believe a word I say until Pugsy or PaleRider has had a chance to review!

Cheers,
Paul

Mr Nifty

Post by Mr Nifty » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:16 am

I've had to slide the slider a few times from lock to unlock to get it to do what I wanted.
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016
Masks I have tried
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow, Dreamwear -Nasal

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:27 am

Some computer operating systems will write a file to the SD card. The S9s do not like that and will require a reformat of the card.
The card readers can be delicate and easily damaged.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Diamondminek wrote:i think i am having a similar problem, while also breaking card readers at a rate of knots. used it twice fine, went to read it a third time and am only getting summary data - time used and ahi.
If you are getting summary data, then the machine is indeed writing to the SD card.

It sounds almost as if you didn't fully insert the card into your machine before using it. And then at some point, noticed the card was not fully inserted and pushed it in all the way. At that point the CPAP would have written the summary data to the SD card.

In other words: Machines that record flow rate data record that data directly to the SD card. And Resmed machines record all detailed data directly to the SD card. If the card is not in the machine or if it is not fully inserted into the machine, the CPAP can't record the detailed data to the card and that data is lost.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:07 pm

Guest wrote:Do they lock it if they know we are reading it ourselves?

Do I now need to ask them for new card?
no they don't, they can't know you're reading it.

unless your card has gone bad, just reformat it and then let the cpap do what it wants to with the card.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:08 pm

Diamondminek wrote:i think i am having a similar problem, while also breaking card readers at a rate of knots. used it twice fine, went to read it a third time and am only getting summary data - time used and ahi.
sounds like you forgot to put the card back in the machine properly, data is written directly to the card, and if you forget to push it in till it clicks, then the detailed data can't be written, but the next time you do push it in good, the compliance data will be written from the machines memory (that's all the machine stores).

like Robysue said.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:10 pm

Mr Nifty wrote:I've had to slide the slider a few times from lock to unlock to get it to do what I wanted.
that doesn't do anything. the sider is just a piece of plastic, like the old 'write protect' sliders on 3.5" floppies. there's no mechanical, or electrical connection in the card, all it does is trip a switch in the reader itself.

just taking the card out and putting it back in is the only thing that actually did anything.

Eddy

Post by Eddy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:51 pm

One must be somewhat careful with the SD card. The memory in the SD card is fairly immune to damage but you should keep your fingers off of the metal contact on the card. Walking on a wool carpet can generate thousands of volts of electricity that can destroy the SD card. Electrostatic discharge (the spark that shocked somone) can occur when you insert the card in a card reader but is less problematic. I try to make sure that I touch a bare metal part of the computer to discharge any potential charge. Damage is most often done by touching the metal contacts.

I am fimiliar with this problem because I am an electronic engineer and also use SD cards in photograpy and have "sucessfully" destroyed a few due to improper handling. Not often but it does occur. If card was damaged you would get nothing written in the CPAP and would not be capable of reading the card on your computer. I am not sure how your CPAP reacts to a damaged card. The Airsense 10 shows "preparing card..." after SD has been removed and reinserted. I do not know if it would flag a bad card or not.

Additional Comments: Jan 17, 2016 Split Sleep study results w/o CPAP AHI=83, W/CPAP AHI=29. Pressure in APAP 15-20 cm
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. Mark Twain

Was Mark Twain a CPAP user?

amenite

Post by amenite » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:25 pm

Eddy wrote:One must be somewhat careful with the SD card. The memory in the SD card is fairly immune to damage but you should keep your fingers off of the metal contact on the card. ...
Also worth noting that a static discharge that is too small for one to detect with tactile sensation or visually is sufficient to damage many electronic components. And if damaged in this way components may not fail immediately or in any predictable way. Always ground yourself, esp in winter or other low humidity environments, prior to getting anywhere near these things. If unsure touch a metal wall plate to ground yourself, or the metal screw holding a wall plate on to an outlet or switch (assuming your electrical system is properly grounded). And as stated above never touch the metal contacts