Lingering in bed

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
davep700

Lingering in bed

Post by davep700 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:50 am

Do you allow yourself to linger in bed without your mask on? I'm talking about a state where I feel like I'm not sleeping, I feel mostly awake, and won't fall asleep again, and remove the mask.

I wonder if this is a state of being awake but too tired to lift my head up, or if it I'm actually going in and out of stage I sleep, for instance? This morning I checked the clock when I removed my mask... then lingered in bed for over an hour.

I know some people say they always stick to a rule of being on their feet to put on or remove their masks.

Is everyone always that strict?

BlackSpinner

Re: Lingering in bed

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:54 am

Sit up, put your feet on the floor before taking your mask off. If you are in bed laying down, mask must be on.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:57 am

+1.
You may THINK you will stay awake.
It's a trap.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:58 pm

100% every time I am lying down the mask is on. No exceptions no reason for there to be. When I am lying down, I has OSA even if I am awake.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:45 pm

[quote="davep700"I know some people say they always stick to a rule of being on their feet to put on or remove their masks.

Is everyone always that strict?[/quote]

Probably best to listen to the posts above, but I too take my mask off if it's close to 7:00 a.m., and I know I'll be getting out of bed soon. Fortunately, I don't have other health issues; sleep apnea is in the low-moderate range, and my BP is low, so I'm not concerned that I may fall into a light sleep for 30 minutes or so.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Take a towel to bed with you to dry your hands. If you remove your mask before you get up, you are paddling in DeNile, wipe your hands.

In the last year I find it difficult to unwind and sleep, sometimes it takes 4 hours in bed before I sleeo, when I do sleep I wake up at 1 to 1 and a half hours. As the night progresses the Sleep times get longer. I tend to lay in bed and enjoy the electric blanket. BUT if I take off the mask, I'm up and out of bed in one minute. The mask goes on before I lie down and after I set up to get up, never take a chance of sleeping without your XPAP. JIM
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:30 pm

If you have access to data I'd suggest to watch a few days of numbers at a low pressure during that same time frame after first waking just to get a (very) loose idea how you do. Based on your sleep study, how low does your oxygen go during events? You may have a bit of wiggle room, but I wouldn't assume that without data. I sleep without my machine when sitting upright and dozing. Never recline without it. Everyone's different as to what they can do without harm. I personally would feel like crap if the last part of my night that I woke up to was unmasked.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:41 pm

Lucyhere wrote:[quote="davep700"I know some people say they always stick to a rule of being on their feet to put on or remove their masks.

Probably best to listen to the posts above, but I too take my mask off if it's close to 7:00 a.m., and I know I'll be getting out of bed soon. Fortunately, I don't have other health issues; sleep apnea is in the low-moderate range, and my BP is low, so I'm not concerned that I may fall into a light sleep for 30 minutes or so.[/quote]

+1...Usually the TV goes on too.

GettingBetter

Post by GettingBetter » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:50 pm

Why borrow trouble?

Mr Nifty

Post by Mr Nifty » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:32 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:Sit up, put your feet on the floor before taking your mask off. If you are in bed laying down, mask must be on.
Agree 100%
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016
Masks I have tried
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow, Dreamwear -Nasal

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:54 pm

davep700 wrote:Do you allow yourself to linger in bed without your mask on? I'm talking about a state where I feel like I'm not sleeping, I feel mostly awake, and won't fall asleep again, and remove the mask.

I wonder if this is a state of being awake but too tired to lift my head up, or if it I'm actually going in and out of stage I sleep, for instance? This morning I checked the clock when I removed my mask... then lingered in bed for over an hour.

I know some people say they always stick to a rule of being on their feet to put on or remove their masks.

NO! N..O......NO!!!

AND.......YES. I'm always that strict.

Besides, I can't sleep without being masked up and my machine blowing air on my face anyway.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:04 pm

I go by the same rule.
It's MY rule, too; because I really don't enjoy what happens if I cheat.
I'm not a germophobe, but apneaphobe, yes!

DeniseR7

Post by DeniseR7 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:04 pm

I, too, wear my mask anytime I lie down - even when I nap.

mariejeanne

Post by mariejeanne » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:52 am

Been reading CPAPTalk for 30 min this morning... Mask still on! LOL

Mudrock63

Post by Mudrock63 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:21 am

I think every time you sleep without your mask it is a risk and a setback. I unconsciously removed the mask halfway through the night twice early on treatment. Felt really bad the following day, and still yucky for a few days afterward. Get up, or put the mask back on.