Totally OT: Happy Dance

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BlackSpinner

Totally OT: Happy Dance

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:18 pm

We are getting a grant from the city to upgrade our insulation, electrical and plumbing!!!

$22000 !!!!!

The only strings attached is that if we sell the house within 20 years it has to be paid back which is no issue at all.

The roof is going from R6 to R50!!!!!!
The old now illegal plumbing lines are going to be replaced.
The electrical brought up to code.
Furnace parts are being replaced!

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Okie bipap

Re: Totally OT: Happy Dance

Post by Okie bipap » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:46 pm

I'm happy for you. I know what it takes to keep an older house going. My daughter bought a 50 year old house last year and had to do a lot of work before she could move in. She still has a lot to do, but she's getting there slowly.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

GettingBetter

Post by GettingBetter » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:25 pm

Fantastic news. It makes sense for a local government to offer these grants for the good of the community.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:26 pm

Can't wait to read Goofyproofie's comments on that grant ! Congrats & enjoy, just be careful when you screen the contactors and check their references is my advice.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:46 pm

Gasper62 wrote:Can't wait to read Goofyproofie's comments on that grant ! Congrats & enjoy, just be careful when you screen the contactors and check their references is my advice.

It is all about saving money - keeping the housing stock in good shape, keeping seniors and disabled people at home and currently, keeping the trades working. We live in an oil industry area and we got given a lot of government money for infrastructure upgrades to keep the economy going. This grant will have money going back into the community paying the wages of the trades people.

We are also at the edge of a really grotty area and the city doesn't want it to creep over into ours.

WE got a long lecture on screening contractors with pages of details. We don't handle the money - we need to get at least 2 quotes for everything and they bill the department. This is not the first house I have renovated, the problem with getting older is that your joints don't let you do it your self anymore. It is very frustrating.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:51 pm

As long as you are dancing, wait while I dig out my fiddle. (I wish)

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:02 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:As long as you are dancing, wait while I dig out my fiddle. (I wish)

The belly rolls still work (sort of) as well as the shoulder shimmies and the snake arms and rib cage isolations/rotations. The hips and knees are more then a bit stiff however.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:20 pm

Oh, I forgot you could belly dance.
{{{cheering}}}

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:41 am

Totally Happy Dance worthy!

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:17 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:We are getting a grant from the city to upgrade our insulation, electrical and plumbing!!!

$22000 !!!!!

The only strings attached is that if we sell the house within 20 years it has to be paid back which is no issue at all.

The roof is going from R6 to R50!!!!!!
The old now illegal plumbing lines are going to be replaced.
The electrical brought up to code.
Furnace parts are being replaced!

Part of the reason for the grant is to make your home more energy efficient. Giving grants such as this so that you will use less energy is good for the environment and if it reduces electrical load, for example, then it's cheaper than building additional generation capacity.

Still, a 20-year commitment is an awfully long time. I don't know of anybody who knows where they will be living in that kind of time frame; on average people move every 5 years or so. Is that payback pro-rated?
I'm workin' on it.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:39 pm

I suppose the required commitment is intended to encourage long time home ownership;
as neighborhoods with a high percentage of rentals also suffer from patterns of higher crime rates
and plummeting real estate values.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:00 pm

Nothing against BlackSpinner personally but, I hate her town and it's continued cruelty to Lucy the elephant, they suck ! ~~ https://www.thedodo.com/community/friends_of_lucy/

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:13 pm

Hose_Head wrote:

Part of the reason for the grant is to make your home more energy efficient. Giving grants such as this so that you will use less energy is good for the environment and if it reduces electrical load, for example, then it's cheaper than building additional generation capacity.

Still, a 20-year commitment is an awfully long time. I don't know of anybody who knows where they will be living in that kind of time frame; on average people move every 5 years or so. Is that payback pro-rated?
Yes it is a long commitment but most people in the neighbourhood have been there longer. Also if you do sell your house is worth more. The houses here sell for over $325,00, the house across the street just sold for over $400,00. $20,000 is peanuts but since we can't get those peanuts from a line of credit at the moment they are nice peanuts (if we had a mortgage we could get it ) . My parents have lived in this house since the early 80's and gave it to my disabled sister. We aren't moving.

There is no prorating but there is also no interest.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:17 pm

Gasper62 wrote:Nothing against BlackSpinner personally but, I hate her town and it's continued cruelty to Lucy the elephant, they suck ! ~~ https://www.thedodo.com/community/friends_of_lucy/
To bad it has health issues other wise it would make a nice stew.

Michelle-OH

Post by Michelle-OH » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:11 pm

Gasper62 wrote:Nothing against BlackSpinner personally but, I hate her town and it's continued cruelty to Lucy the elephant, they suck ! ~~ https://www.thedodo.com/community/friends_of_lucy/
That is horrible, I have seen her 'story'. She deserves so much more, that sanctuary in TN is amazing.