First Night was Pathetic

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rube8514

First Night was Pathetic

Post by Rube8514 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:48 am

Hello All,

First time CPAP user here. I "used" the machine for the first time last night for a couple hours. I have the 'APAP' machine so it automatically adjusts the pressure throughout the night. I have the full face mask that covers my nose and mouth. I honestly felt fine with the mask on, but I could NOT fall asleep and I just laid there for like 3 hours. I have to get up early every day so I don't get much sleep as it is so I took the mask off after the few hours of not getting to sleep. I end up falling right asleep...what's everyone think? I really did not mind the mask....It was tolerable, as comfortable as it can be. Of course, I am going to give it another go tonight but it was definitely discouraging...

Mr Nifty

Re: First Night was Pathetic

Post by Mr Nifty » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:06 am

Don't give up. You are on cpap therapy for a reason. It can take time to get used to it. Perhaps you would feel more comfortable with a nasal mask. I use a full face mask only when I have sinus or congestion issues.
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016
Masks I have tried
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow, Dreamwear -Nasal

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:14 am

Some people wear the mask (alone) while watching TV before bed... they get used to it without being so aware of it... of course it will take a little time to do that, but you sound like you're at least not-uncomfortable with it, which is great!

Rube8514

Post by Rube8514 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:17 am

I thought about the nasal mask but I mostly breathe through my mouth...but I am not against it.

I honestly don't think it's THAT BAD for being uncomfortable...I really just couldn't sleep....was it the mask/machine...was it just me...I have no idea...But I will definitely put her back on tonight.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:46 pm

It's a new experience for your body and brain; some adjustment is normal. Your mind will settle down if you keep the mask on and continue therapy.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

library lady

Post by library lady » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:50 pm

My entire first week was just as you describe. Follow the above suggestions to help your brain adapt. Wearing the mask and using the machine while awake, either reading or watching TV in the living room, will help train your brain so that it recognizes that this stuff on your face (mask, air blowing) is OK. Good luck! If you have further problems after this adjustment, come back here and let us help you. That's what we're here for.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Michelle-OH

Post by Michelle-OH » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:20 pm

Very few people do great from the get-go. Do whatever it takes to get used to the mask and machine. I use a sound machine to take my mind off the breathing sounds. A bit of essential oil on a cotton ball behind the filter so I smell lovely smells, lavender and sweet orange, because they are supposed to be calming. Good luck!