Finally started trial

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
3dmark

Finally started trial

Post by 3dmark » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:21 pm

So I finally started my one-month free trial of CPAP equipment. For now, I'm using a Respironics System One and an AirFit P10 nasal pillow. I will get to purchase any equipment I like in the end, of course, but this is what I got for the loaner.

The System One is unbelievably noisy. Whatever I was using at the sleep clinic was reasonably quiet white noise in the background. This one positively wheezes. Whenever I breathe in, it makes a gasping whooooo sound. I can't wait to be rid of it. Also, I'm finding the heated air uncomfortable, but can't find a way of turning the heating off. So won't be purchasing one of those.

I do have a question. They told me to clean the hoses weekly with a vinegar-water mix. I did so, and am now regretting the obvious consequence - that the hoses stink of vinegar even after repeated rinsing with plain water. What do you all use to clean the hoses? (I won't be using vinegar again.)

Also, do any of you use any kind of cream on your nostrils? I'm finding a bit of irritation at the edge of the nostrils, from the pillow's "plugs".

Thanks!

grayghost4

Re: Finally started trial

Post by grayghost4 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:28 pm

I am very meticulous about cleaning, my hose is cleaned every night with Filtered, Pressured, Humidified air all night long … Mask too … but I take an extra step with the mask, it is also cleaned with unpressurized, unfiltered, room air all day long while it lays on the table next to my bed.

Use a produce called Lansinoh on your nose irritation.
Last edited by grayghost4 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:35 pm

Few people ever bother to clean hoses - and I mean year in and year out... there's no point at all.

3dmark

Post by 3dmark » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:44 pm

Ha ha, you guys kill me!

So you must at least clean the water reservoir from time to time? What do you use for that?

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:01 pm

Distilled Water !
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:10 pm

3dmark wrote:, I'm finding the heated air uncomfortable, but can't find a way of turning the heating off. So won't be purchasing one of those.
turn the knob, it adjusts the heat/humidity level
3dmark wrote: What do you all use to clean the hoses? (I won't be using vinegar again.)
nothing.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:24 pm

The System One is unbelievably noisy. Whatever I was using at the sleep clinic was reasonably quiet white noise in the background. This one positively wheezes. Whenever I breathe in, it makes a gasping whooooo sound.
They are very quiet so this doesn't make sense. You may want to take it back with the mask and try it there. Sometimes it is the mask that is noisy.

It also makes a difference where you put the machine. It works best if it is a little lower then the mattress.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

3dmark

Post by 3dmark » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:04 pm

palerider wrote:turn the knob, it adjusts the heat/humidity level
Huh, I see how to change the humidity setting (and increasing humidity actually seems to have helped). But not how to change heat level.
BlackSpinner wrote:They are very quiet so this doesn't make sense.
Thanks for that input. I see you have a System One, so you should know. I'll call the shop and see if there's anything they can do.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:14 pm

People add a little vinegar to distilled water they use to clean the tank.

Mudrock63

Post by Mudrock63 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:14 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
The System One is unbelievably noisy. Whatever I was using at the sleep clinic was reasonably quiet white noise in the background. This one positively wheezes. Whenever I breathe in, it makes a gasping whooooo sound.
They are very quiet so this doesn't make sense. You may want to take it back with the mask and try it there. Sometimes it is the mask that is noisy.

It also makes a difference where you put the machine. It works best if it is a little lower then the mattress.
OkyDoky pointed out in another thread that it could be rainout causing the noise that shouldn't be there. Check and see if you are getting condensation in the hose. That CAN cause a loud rattle sound.

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:19 pm

3dmark wrote: The System One is unbelievably noisy. Whatever I was using at the sleep clinic was reasonably quiet white noise in the background. This one positively wheezes. Whenever I breathe in, it makes a gasping whooooo sound. I can't wait to be rid of it.
Adding to what BlackSpinner said.

This is unusual. One possibility is that the exhaust flow from the mask is hitting the bedcovers in an awkward way. I know you are using the P10 pillows and they have a very strongly damped, diffuse exhaust flow. But if things are adjusted just a little bit off, you could be hear whoooo noises that are caused by the mask and not the machine. Or it could be that you've got a very small, but very loud leak. If one or both of the pillows is not properly adjusted against your nostrils, the air can leak out around the pillows and cause weezing/whooo noises. Particularly if those wheezes you are hearing are in sync with your own breath.
I do have a question. They told me to clean the hoses weekly with a vinegar-water mix. I did so, and am now regretting the obvious consequence - that the hoses stink of vinegar even after repeated rinsing with plain water. What do you all use to clean the hoses? (I won't be using vinegar again.)
I don't clean the hose weekly anymore, but I do still use vinegar. Then again, I don't mind the smell of vinegar and I do mind the smell of almost any kind of soap/detergent.

If you are going to clean the hoses regularly, the big problem is getting them thoroughly rinsed. I've taken to attaching the hose coupling directly to the spigot in the bathroom and turning on the water full blast for a minute or two. This has the advantage that it also lets me check the hose for any pinhole leaks. This method might not work for everybody, but the way our bathroom faucets are designed it works well for me.
Also, do any of you use any kind of cream on your nostrils? I'm finding a bit of irritation at the edge of the nostrils, from the pillow's "plugs".
Lansinoh. It's nipple cream sold to nursing mothers, and it's hospital grade lanolin.

Or Unscented Badger Balm For Sensitive Skin, made up organic extra virgin olive oil and organic beeswax.

Or Burts Bees Lip Balm, which is mainly beeswax, coconut oil and sunflower.

What you don't want to use is anything with petroleum jelly (i.e. vasoline) listed as a main ingredient. Petroleum jelly is not good for the silicone in the nasal pillows.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:23 pm

3dmark wrote:
palerider wrote:turn the knob, it adjusts the heat/humidity level
Huh, I see how to change the humidity setting (and increasing humidity actually seems to have helped). But not how to change heat level./quote]

it depends on what mode you're in, and that's all in the setup screen.

there's a setting for whether the heated tube is on, or off, and another for what temp to use.

if you don't have a heated tube, then the only heat is coming from the humidifier, and the more humidity you use, the warmer it'll be, it's impossible to have cold moist air, thanks to relative humidity and all that.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

3dmark

Post by 3dmark » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:48 pm

robysue wrote:This is unusual. One possibility is that the exhaust flow from the mask is hitting the bedcovers in an awkward way. I know you are using the P10 pillows and they have a very strongly damped, diffuse exhaust flow. But if things are adjusted just a little bit off, you could be hear whoooo noises that are caused by the mask and not the machine. Or it could be that you've got a very small, but very loud leak. If one or both of the pillows is not properly adjusted against your nostrils, the air can leak out around the pillows and cause weezing/whooo noises. Particularly if those wheezes you are hearing are in sync with your own breath.
The noise is in sync with my own breath (breathing in.) It happens 100% of the time, even if I'm just sitting up in bed. It is definitely coming from the machine, not the mask and not the hose. The noise sounds a bit like how a vacuum cleaner sounds if you hold your hand over the pipe.

I'm actually really impressed with how quiet the P10 pillows are, by the way.
Mudrock63 wrote:OkyDoky pointed out in another thread that it could be rainout causing the noise that shouldn't be there. Check and see if you are getting condensation in the hose. That CAN cause a loud rattle sound.
Thanks for the advice, but no, no condensation.

3dmark

Post by 3dmark » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:22 pm

palerider wrote:it depends on what mode you're in, and that's all in the setup screen.

there's a setting for whether the heated tube is on, or off, and another for what temp to use.

if you don't have a heated tube, then the only heat is coming from the humidifier, and the more humidity you use, the warmer it'll be, it's impossible to have cold moist air, thanks to relative humidity and all that.
Got it, thanks. I checked my setup and read the manual, and indeed, there is only temperature control if you are using a heated tube - which I am not. I will monitor the heat and try adjusting the humidity and see how it goes.

Does anyone know what the System One Resistance setting does?

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:08 pm

3dmark wrote:Does anyone know what the System One Resistance setting does?
yes. in simple terms, it helps the machine deliver more accurate air pressure to your face.

moving air is affected by the resistance of the humidifier, tube, and mask. compensation for whether the humidifier is attached or not is automatic, of course. but there's settings for hose type.

system one resistance adds in compensation for the various flow resistances that different types of masks present to the airflow. if you're using a respironics mask, there's an x number on it, or it's packaging somewhere. basically, the higher the number, the more resistive to airflow the mask (smaller openings, etc).