Looking for a nasal mask that won't leave marks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Nerva

Looking for a nasal mask that won't leave marks

Post by Nerva » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:04 pm

I've used three CPAP masks over the years, and they've all had issues -- I'm looking for recommendations and some comments on options I'm considering.

First, for several years, I used a nasal pillow design (I don't know the manufacturer or model), but there were several problems with it. The headgear only went above my ears over the top of my head, so it tended to slip off the top of my head at least once a night. The straps on each side also left deep grooves on my cheeks. And the nozzles would rub the inside of my nose whenever I moved my head, eventually making it raw and bloody.

Second, after getting fed up with the nasal pillow, I tried buying a Profile Lite Gel Nasal CPAP Mask. The gel was very soft and comfortable, and I found it somewhat easier to breathe with nothing stuck in my nose. However, it did have problems. The gel, while comfortable, was prone to losing the seal when I moved my head, requiring me to over-tighten the headgear. And after less than a year, the clear plastic bridge between the nose and forehead snapped.

Third, I was going to reorder the same model, but the store said it had been discontinued (I see now it is again for sale), so I picked another highly-rated nasal mask, the ComfortGel Blue Nasal CPAP Mask. The headgear is the best I've used so far, but the mask itself is the worst. It doesn't use the wide silicone gel seal that the Profile Lite does -- instead, it is a narrow, firm gel seal that while sealing well, left grooves so deep on my face, I had to stop using it after a couple months, and have switched back to my old nasal pillow design (which is ripping up the middle of my nose).

So, I prefer a nasal mask design, but I'd like to find one that does not leave marks, either from the headgear straps on the side of my face, or from the seal around my nose.

I am wondering what people's thoughts are on the Mirage Activa Nasal CPAP Mask:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html
It claims to seal well even if you toss and turn (which I do). But does it leave marks?

Here's another high-rated design, the Ultra Mirage II Nasal CPAP Mask:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html
It looks like it might be an improved version of the previous link, from the same manufacturer.

There's also the FlexiFit HC407 Nasal CPAP Mask:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -mask.html
It claims to maintain a seal even with tossing/turning, and not leave marks.

Anyways, I've learned my lesson after three masks bought unseen -- this time I figured I'd ask around first.

canoekeji

Re: Looking for a nasal mask that won't leave marks

Post by canoekeji » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:29 pm

I use Sleepweaver Elan- it is a cloth mask. Extremely comfortable and it doesn't slip off. No marks on my face in the morning.

There is some issue with leaks but I am in the "allowable" level so I don't worry about that.

Good luck in your quest.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:46 pm

It sounds as if you might be overtightening the mask way more than necessary... in fact it should almost float, allowing the thin narrow 'cushion' to inflate once the mask is on... because if you have leaks then, another mask or size or better fitting may be in order. But you could also look at what's available on Padacheek.com - a member makes those and many love them.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:50 pm

If you order from https://www.cpap.com, they offer 30 day trial with refund if you don't love the mask. Another one to consider is the Dreamwear mask, and the Swift FX Nano. I like the Nano, the entire mask is soft. NO hard parts, and I move around a lot, and it stays in place.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:12 pm

It sounds to me like you should go back to the Profile Lite and maybe add some padding to it's straps. FWIW, this mask works better than some simply because it doesn't inflate or "float", but, it is less forgiving if pushed around. I really wish that I could still use one ! Good luck.

Mr Nifty

Post by Mr Nifty » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:00 pm

I love and use the Mirage Activa LT. Very comfortable and doesn't leave marks on me when I wake up. But can only use it when I am not having sinus issues.

Best of Luck!
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016
Masks I have tried
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow, Dreamwear -Nasal

library lady

Post by library lady » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:21 pm

I use strap covers for marks, available at Pad-A-Cheek as mentioned by another poster: http://www.padacheek.com
I also use mask liners to help with marks as well as leaks, also available at P-A-C, and RemZzzzs, available from https://www.cpap.com or from your local DME.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.