Airsense 10 Autopap vs. Dreamstation Autopap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JVincent

Re: Airsense 10 Autopap vs. Dreamstation Autopap

Post by JVincent » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Okay, so they really are very similar... but how about this: Which one is quieter?

Thatgirl

Post by Thatgirl » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:00 am

JVincent wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Okay, so they really are very similar... but how about this: Which one is quieter?
According to CPAP.com, the Airsense 10 Autoset is 26.6 db, and the Dreamstation Auto is 25.8 alone, or 27.9 with the humidifier.

Usually ~EPAP 6, IPAP 12
Loving Sleepyhead!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:55 am

I have pretty sensitive hearing. I CANNOT hear the Airsense at all. The only way I know it's on is to feel the vent.

Occasionally I'll hear the airflow through the DreamWear mask on the side I'm laying on (air flows through the silicone strap which are really tubes) but I just move the strap a little and it's SILENT.

My old PRS1 was very loud in comparison.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Justin Case

Post by Justin Case » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:06 pm

This is a very timely thread.

I was at my DME today. Some of you may recall that I was contemplating for a while on getting a new Apap machine. I will continue to use the old Respironics Remstar Auto with Cflex. Noise has always been a factor and even to this day, I often struggle with mask noise and vent issues.

My DME who I trust (unlike many others) says the Dreamstation (with humidifier) is quieter than the Airsense, yet another poster (above) could hear the Dreamstation a bit but could not hear the Airsense. WAs the Airsense with humidifier as well? Can someone elaborate? Are there any advantages/disadvantages over one machine vs the other?
JC

Thatgirl

Post by Thatgirl » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:18 pm

Justin Case wrote:This is a very timely thread.

I was at my DME today. Some of you may recall that I was contemplating for a while on getting a new Apap machine. I will continue to use the old Respironics Remstar Auto with Cflex. Noise has always been a factor and even to this day, I often struggle with mask noise and vent issues.

My DME who I trust (unlike many others) says the Dreamstation (with humidifier) is quieter than the Airsense, yet another poster could hear the Dreamstation a bit but could not hear the Airsense. WAs the Airsense with humidifier as well? Can someone elaborate? Are there any advantages/disadvantages over one machine vs the other?
The Airsense has an integrated humidifier. It can be set to not give humidity, but no humidifier ever snaps off like other machines. The water tank can only be removed it you buy a $15 side cover separately. So all sound testing for the Airsense includes the humidifier. The Remstar C-Flex machines are 30 dB according to CPAP.com, so either Dreamstation or Airsense would be quieter.

Usually ~EPAP 6, IPAP 12
Loving Sleepyhead!

Jenk2k

Post by Jenk2k » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:30 pm

So, just to update anyone who's contributed positively to the conversation, I had a consult today. The doctor was actually quite good, and recognized right away that I have a bit of a complex case.

He indicated that he wanted me to do a sleep study and that the soonest they could schedule one was late May. A little disappointed, but they say that it's like that out here in this city right now. The admin person said I can try to find another sleep study provider but that they're going to be backed up.

A couple of points the doctor made:
1. He doesn't think the algorithms will result in any advantages between Dreamstation vs. Airsense 10.
2. He thinks there is a possibility I have obesity related Hypoventliation. This actually makes alot of sense to me. I wish I was taking deeper breaths. He said my sleepiness index was high enough that I was symptomatic and definitely needed to make a change of some sort.
3. He thinks that the APAP is a fairly reactive way to treat my case and that the machine isn't detecting RERA in the way that he would prefer - how they are recorded in sleep studies. He said that the machine cannot detect them in the same way.
4. He thinks that if I cant maintain o2 levels on autopap, he will put me on Bipap. If bipap doesnt quite do it, he will add o2 to the mix. The sleep study will start at 10cm H20 and will spend the whole sleep time titrating and getting it right.

So while I wait for the sleep study, I asked him if he would go ahead and jack up the pressure a little to see if it would help. He put in an order to raise it but didnt say to what. I am treading lightly on the whole adjusting it mysellf thing while I establish a relationship with the doc.

So this is my plan, for now. I'm also going to crank up the diet changes and keep up the hour a day walking to make an impact on weight management.

Jenk2k

Post by Jenk2k » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:54 pm

I just read that the only Airsense that reports RERA is the Airsense for her. Interesting. I seem to remember a RERA index in Sleepyhead's statistics page.

Does anyone know how the machine knows a RERA event occurred, and how it might differ from reading during a sleep study? Is there a motion sensor or something?

Justin Case

Post by Justin Case » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:59 pm

Are RERAs something "new"? I don't recall seeing this term in any form when looking at PSG results. Mind you, I haven't had a current sleep study in over 4 years.
JC

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:12 pm

If the number was insignificant, it could have been buried in the minutiae.

robysue

Post by robysue » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:04 pm

Justin Case wrote:Are RERAs something "new"? I don't recall seeing this term in any form when looking at PSG results. Mind you, I haven't had a current sleep study in over 4 years.
Not all labs routinely score RERAs.

MINItron

Post by MINItron » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:29 pm

I also keep reading that only the Airsense Autoset for Her registers RERA, but I can report that my regular Airsense Autoset does in fact track RERA. I don't know if this is something they have updated, or if it is something that has been misrepresented. I have been extremely happy with my Airsense. It is nearly silent, and I have superhuman hearing (odd for someone who spent the last 20 year as a Navy aircraft tech). I had an AHI of 23 during my last sleep study, but have been under .5 every night since I started using my machine two weeks ago.

I did have to get a new mask. I started out with the Resmed P10, but was having fit issues. I just picked up a Respironics Dreamwear this afternoon. I hope tonight's sleep will be even better.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:56 pm

In terms of how soon you can get your sleep test, call the sleep center doing the testing and ask them to put you on their "short notice" list. They all have one because sometimes people don't show up or cancel at the last minute. I was able to get in months earlier by doing this, but you have to be ready to grab your sleeping clothes and drive directly to the sleep center when you get the call. It's an option you might look into.

Jenk2k

Post by Jenk2k » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:47 pm

Just got on the schedule for tomorrow night. Looking forward to getting some intelligence and the abiility to hear his opinion. Feeling optimistic.

Cannuck 1

Post by Cannuck 1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:46 am

Jenk2k wrote:Just got on the schedule for tomorrow night. Looking forward to getting some intelligence and the abiility to hear his opinion. Feeling optimistic.
You already have one of the best systems on the market with a excellent mask, I agree with Wulf that a constant pressure range is a more desirable measure if possible but that some cases that can not be done.
I have used both the resmed and PR systems with good results but the resmed algorithms I like the best with some tweaking of the settings.
All the best

Jenk2k

Post by Jenk2k » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:31 pm

Doc ordered no more autoset mode. 13 cm h20 on constant pressure. He actually took the time to show me the data from the study and was very open with me about all of the #'s. Also listened closely to my feedback about how I felt and what I wanted to do. I didn't mention that I knew how to change settings on the machine.

Overall, pretty happy with how I've been treated, but obviously not that stoked about long waits and bureacratic bs every step in between. And i haven't gotten the bill yet for the sleep study so we shall see how rough that is.

We'll see how it goes.