New to Apnea, need advice.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
safercyber

New to Apnea, need advice.

Post by safercyber » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:22 pm

Good Afternoon,

I recently had a home Apnea study done. I suspected something was wrong with my breathing at night, aside from the snoring my wife complained about I also would catch myself seemingly waking and gasping for breath just as I was about to fall asleep.
My GP didn't seem to think I had sleep Apnea and that sleep clinics maybe just trying to me on products.

So, some of my results are as follows, keep in mind I also did not sleep as long or deep as I would normally have due to being hooked up to the monitor.

Snoring counts for 7.7 hour period. 1450.....per hour 189.0
Respitory disturbances 113...............14.7 per hour,
Oxygenation: mean saturation was 91.7

Any thoughts on whether or not this looks like sleep apnea requiring intervention would be appreciated.

Cheers

BlackSpinner

Re: New to Apnea, need advice.

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:56 pm

Yes you have sleep apnea of some sort

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

peridotjude

Post by peridotjude » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:10 pm

Yes, it sure looks like obstructive sleep apnea. And the oxygen de-sat of just over 91 is pretty low too (ideal is in the 97-100 range). What did the sleep clinic tell you? PS your primary care doc needs to join the 21st century and get some education about OSA. He sounds pretty darned ill-informed.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:17 pm

Unless you live a mile or more above sea level your Oxygen levels should be between 96% to 99%
But the drop in Oxygen combined with Snoring and other breathing events that were registered by the study means you most likely have sleep apnea. One of the most dangerous aspects of sleep apnea is the drop in oxygen levels that can cause damage to your whole body. I would push really hard to get support and treatment for this and if your current doctor still after reviewing this information is saying you don't have sleep apnea I'd find a new doctor.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:38 pm

To keep it real, anything above 88% for 02 is considered relatively normal... but you really want to keep it above e.g. 92 or so to be considered ok.

safercyber

Post by safercyber » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:42 am

Thanks Everyone, I do have to see him once he receives the report so I will push for the equipment.