What happened to Sleepyhead?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Londonia

What happened to Sleepyhead?

Post by Londonia » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:52 am

The software has moved to jedimark.net, and when I download it my antivirus deletes it immediately because it contains coinstealer malware.

Anyone experienced this?

RogerSC

Re: What happened to Sleepyhead?

Post by RogerSC » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:14 am

No, but sometimes you need to put an exclusion in your antivirus if new software is genuine/authentic, yet looks like malware to your antivirus (generates a false positive). It happens. But first, you need to somehow verify that it's authentic. I did just download the latest Windows 10 archive from jedimark.net, and my antivirus (Windows Defender) just yawned, didn't break a sweat...You can check the sha1 checksum of the archive, for me it matched what was listed on the web site, which is a good sign. Of course, if I was going to hack a web site, I'd modify the archive checksum appropriately for the malware that I added to the archive.

Maybe Mark can verify that the archive checksums currently on his web site are the correct ones, that would be helpful.

By the way, the checksum software that I use is this one:

HashCalc by Slavasoft (google it)

Been using HashCalc for a few years now, and has served me well. Has a graphic interface, and does md5, sha1, sha256, etc.

Londonia

Post by Londonia » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:17 am

I did pop a bug report in the bug tracker so he can take a look at it. The particular variant it reports is unlikely, but with the site change and new empty forums, it tinkled too many alarm bells

Thanks for replying, much appreciated

hpm08161947

Post by hpm08161947 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:10 am

I downloaded and attempted to install the Unbuntu version on the new web site and got protests from my OS that the download was not 'Proper". I installed anyway and something "Nonfunctional". I will see if I can leave Jedimark a message about the snapshop binaries, as building my onw in ubuntu is turning into a difficult task (at least for me)

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:35 am

I think Pailrider Is the one that made the Ubuntu package
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

jedimark

Post by jedimark » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:48 am

The jedimark.net site is legit..it's just still a work in progress, the signup stuff isn't ready, and some things I'm just evaluating... I migrated from SourceForge because they WERE trying to insert malware in software projects (not SleepyHead, because it didn't have an installer at the time), among other dodgy behvaiour.

I've been busy with a ton of other stuff. Trying to write code, manage installers, sort through a mountain of emails and build a better project website are not easy to balance.

The virus flagging thing definitely isn't legit though.. I keep my win box for development only, and it's up to date and well protected, and my server's well locked down too. It would be good to check the SHA sums to make sure your binaries aren't being rewritten on save by browser malware.

It's likely it's just Kaspersky Heuristics scanner is choking on the Qt Installer Framework apparently.. Probably because they use some binary packer.. (I had problems with UPX .exe packer back in the old wxWidgets days getting flagged in a similar way)

I had some people scan the crap out of it today from all sources.. Nobody managed to flagged anything :/

This is extremely annoying.. because it means I may need to find another installer framework

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.
Download http://sleepyhead.jedimark.net
Source Code http://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhead-code

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:52 pm

grayghost4 wrote:I think Pailrider Is the one that made the Ubuntu package
I made one, it was up for a few days on sourceforge, then that got taken down and a a different version was put up.... so don't blame me for the ubuntu package fail not it!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:10 pm

Life (and software) has so many unintended consequences... <sigh>
My hat's off to Mark and the crew.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

hpm08161947

Post by hpm08161947 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:23 pm

I owe a special thanks to Palerider for helping me with the Ubuntu build of Sleepyhead for my linux box. It's not that hard....... with him helping me.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:29 pm

hpm08161947 wrote:I owe a special thanks to Palerider for helping me with the Ubuntu build of Sleepyhead for my linux box. It's not that hard....... with him helping me.
glad to be of help

the main trick is using qt5.4 or 5.5 and getting the extra qt bits that aren't part of the regular install...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

lilly747

Post by lilly747 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:09 pm

palerider wrote:the main trick is using qt5.4 or 5.5 and getting the extra qt bits that aren't part of the regular install...

greek...greek...GREEK...

This makes me feel so inadequate...I just want to dround my computer in the bathtub....

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:16 pm

lilly747 wrote:
palerider wrote:the main trick is using qt5.4 or 5.5 and getting the extra qt bits that aren't part of the regular install...

greek...greek...GREEK...

This makes me feel so inadequate...I just want to dround my computer in the bathtub....
I don't advise using most computers in the bathtub.... though there are a few waterproof ones.

kritoke

Post by kritoke » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:10 pm

If you are ever curious about checking against various virus engines, https://www.virustotal.com/ lets you upload the file and it will verify against a lot of engines whether or not something might have a virus in it.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:32 pm

Microsoft and some others want you to only download software from them through their app store or whatever. They've figured out that putting up incorrect virus warnings when you download stuff from "unknown" sources adds to their own business, so they have an ulterior motive for flagging a lot of stuff that might actually not be a virus, but looks "suspicious."

They might not actually sit down and say "let's give false virus indications," but they do have the profit motive in the back of their mind giving them a bias to not be careful about false positives.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Londonia

Post by Londonia » Sun May 01, 2016 6:41 am

You're doing grand Jedimark, I appreciate all the work that's gone into the software. In fact if the software were crap I wouldn't be bothered about installation problems

There's no rush for me, as long as you're aware that it's a problem. Well done on getting away from SourceForge btw. My heart sinks every time I need to go to that site :/