Brain recovery: how to speed it up ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jaw

Brain recovery: how to speed it up ?

Post by jaw » Sat May 14, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi all,
Brain damage caused by untreated severe OSA in a long time seems very real. My untreated AHI was > 50 for more than 11 years, and I've been using CPAP since 50 days. I wonder what is a good way to facilitate / speed up the brain recovery process ?

Gym, yoga, some herb, some medicine ?

using PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus, PR System One Heated Humidifier, Mirage FX Nasal CPAP Mask with headgear.

avi123

Re: Brain recovery: how to speed it up ?

Post by avi123 » Sat May 14, 2016 7:33 pm

See a Neurologist.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat May 14, 2016 7:33 pm

jaw wrote:Hi all,
Brain damage caused by untreated severe OSA in a long time seems very real. My untreated AHI was > 50 for more than 11 years, and I've been using CPAP since 50 days. I wonder what is a good way to facilitate / speed up the brain recovery process ?

whatever you want to throw your money at....

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat May 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Stay consistent with your routine around sleeping, times, meds(?), alcohol (the less the better and nowhere near bedtime), etc. Don't stress over the problem but do what makes you feel confident, schedules you're familiar with, work you like, people who understand and at least you'll feel some control, which is important. Things will come in their natural time, don't try to force anything (no Mensa testing this month ), etc. Don't pore over every bit of info on apnea you find on the net... there's plenty on the forum to look at and at least you'll know it's more or less correct (see lightbulb top of the pg) or you'll make yourself nuts and start losing confidence.

Kittamaru

Post by Kittamaru » Sat May 14, 2016 8:17 pm

To be honest, there isn't much you have to do other than the basic "take care of yourself" stuff - the human body, and indeed the brain, is incredibly resilient and is excellent at adapting and recovering, so long as it has what it needs.

Get 6 to 8 hours of good sleep, a balanced diet (do yourself a favor and ignore the current "low fat, healthy carb" trend and do a truly balanced diet - cut out the processed crap where you can, and use healthy fats to keep yourself satiated), get enough of the basic building blocks (fish, chicken, eggs, and good greens will go a LONG way towards this), keep yourself hydrated (this is a MUST, your body needs water), and get some exercise, enough to get your heart pumping.

The rest just comes with time

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:20 pm

MCT oils are being touted as a real boon for brain function restoration. Can't swear to it, though. Fish oil capsules are another possibility.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sat May 14, 2016 8:21 pm

or some foods?

Ketogenic Diets for Traumatic Brain Injury

Fish Oil Credited for Incredible Brain Injury Recovery

Metabolic Therapies: Therapeutic Implications and Practical Application
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Kittamaru

Post by Kittamaru » Sat May 14, 2016 8:24 pm

I would second the Ketogenic Diet - I only was able to stay on it about two months (because of time issues - working two jobs leaves precious little time for meal prep!) but it was fantastic - I felt a bit more alert, some of the fogginess went away (and this was before I started the CPAP therapy), and I started a steady decline in weight. I'm hoping to restart on Keto in the next month (I'm supposed to be getting a raise at my primary job... hopefully its enough to allow me to drop down to one job)

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat May 14, 2016 8:25 pm

Use software and get your therapy optimized as soon as possible.
There are no quick fixes. This is "baby steps" and one night at a time.
You have a "sleep debt" to pay off and it takes months under most circumstances......even after you get your therapy optimized.

And, you're going to need to get a "sufficient" amount of sleep per night, too. The 4 hour minimum ain't gonna cut it. You'll need to get at least 7 - 9 hours per night.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat May 14, 2016 9:14 pm

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat May 14, 2016 11:04 pm

What did you do for the ten years and 315 days before you started treatment? Why not try to repair the damage when you first found you had Sleep Apnea. The damage would have been much easier and their would be much less of it. Jim

First thing make sure your treatment is optimized. Cut out unhealthy living.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun May 15, 2016 12:17 am

I third the keto diet. It's anti-inflammatory and getting inflammation down should be your goal. Omega 3 fats like coconut oil and fish oil may help.

Stress reduction is also important. Some simple meditation may help. There are tons of guided meditation apps online.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

jaw

Post by jaw » Sun May 15, 2016 2:42 am

Wulfman... wrote:Use software and get your therapy optimized as soon as possible.
There are no quick fixes. This is "baby steps" and one night at a time.
You have a "sleep debt" to pay off and it takes months under most circumstances......even after you get your therapy optimized.

And, you're going to need to get a "sufficient" amount of sleep per night, too. The 4 hour minimum ain't gonna cut it. You'll need to get at least 7 - 9 hours per night.
Den
I am sleeping 7.5 h on average per day
I am using SleepHead enough to find my optimal setting now: AHI is often < 1.0

using PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus, PR System One Heated Humidifier, Mirage FX Nasal CPAP Mask with headgear.

jaw

Post by jaw » Sun May 15, 2016 2:46 am

Kittamaru wrote: Get 6 to 8 hours of good sleep, a balanced diet (do yourself a favor and ignore the current "low fat, healthy carb" trend and do a truly balanced diet - cut out the processed crap where you can, and use healthy fats to keep yourself satiated), get enough of the basic building blocks (fish, chicken, eggs, and good greens will go a LONG way towards this), keep yourself hydrated (this is a MUST, your body needs water), and get some exercise, enough to get your heart pumping.

The rest just comes with time
I like your "ignore the current "low fat, health carb" trend""

I drink upto 1 litter of water immediately when wake up.

Thanks

jaw

Post by jaw » Sun May 15, 2016 2:51 am

Goofproof wrote:
jaw wrote:My untreated AHI was > 50 for more than 11 years
What did you do for the ten years and 315 days before you started treatment?
I only know I have severe OSA since February 2016. My estimated 11 years is back to 2004-2006 when I suddenly found that
- I needed to open the window in winter at night, otherwise vivid dreams would bother my sleeping and a feeling of tiredness would occur
- Quite many occasions I found my brain / head so weird (feeling of fogginess)