Water leaking from F&P HC150 humidifier?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Matt00926

Water leaking from F&P HC150 humidifier?

Post by Matt00926 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:54 am

I've waken up after two nights and I find a ton of distilled water on my shelving unit which is somehow leaking. I recently replaced the temporary water tank with the more permanent one that you can clean (yes I did purchase and receive the correct one). I've installed it the same way and it gives a satisfying click. I've opened the tank and cleaned it very well, outside on its own i can turn it upside down and it's clearly not leaking water out. I've cleaned all tubing as well so I don't know what's going on. I guess I will try new hoses to see if that helps, but I am not finding water in my hoses or anything when I wake up. Any ideas? I don't want to damage my Trilogy 100!
Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM

JDS74

Re: Water leaking from F&P HC150 humidifier?

Post by JDS74 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:49 am

It sounds as if the removable bottom plate on the HC150 chamber is not seated correctly.
The difference in pressure with the Trilogy running may be enough to cause a small leak.
Have you looked for leaks when the Trilogy is running and the tank not in the HC150?

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Matt00926

Post by Matt00926 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:17 am

JDS74 wrote:It sounds as if the removable bottom plate on the HC150 chamber is not seated correctly.
The difference in pressure with the Trilogy running may be enough to cause a small leak.
Have you looked for leaks when the Trilogy is running and the tank not in the HC150?
I put my Trilogy on a higher shelf with the humidifier tray and tank on the shelf below. No water surrounding the Trilogy anymore.

I believe the removable bottom plate on the tank is not sealing properly, I took it apart several times and completely dried it before sealing it back on and making sure it was a tight fit. Upon further troubleshooting, the tank itself actually leaks even without the machine turned on, so it has to be the seal.

I'm going to run the humidifier again with the disposable tank this evening just to make 100% sure the problem is with the removable bottom plate of the HC150 chamber.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:55 am

I use distilled water in my tank and am still using the disposable tank which came with the BC150 many months ago without problems.

Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.

Matt00926

Post by Matt00926 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:05 pm

JDS74 wrote:I use distilled water in my tank and am still using the disposable tank which came with the BC150 many months ago without problems.
Yeah I figured the disposable one is fine, the website recommends changing it every six months I guess since you technically can't really clean it that well. Not even sure if it needs cleaning at all if you use distilled water.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Thu May 19, 2016 4:45 pm

I know this may seam a bit jury rigged but have you tried one or two layers of Teflon tape to seal the threads? I haven't had a chance to play with one of the cleanable tanks my self but I assume it's threaded like a screw. If not disregard this suggestion.

If it's still covered by some sort of warranty or you got it from a DME that's reputable I'd take it back and demand a new one. My 2 cents.

Good luck.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:25 pm

I just got my HC300 chamber out of its new box (never even been wet) and examined it carefully. The base has a raised rim that the plastic chamber slips over. Around the raised rim is a substantial "O" ring that looks to be about 1/8th inch thick. The base has a plastic surround that slips into the heater base of the HC150 humidifier.

If I ever get around to actually using this tank, I will wait to clean it until its really necessary. My guess using distilled water, that might be once a year. I would not recommend routine frequent disassembly for cleaning and assume that this will make using tap water OK.

It's hard to tell what the long-term effect of letting the chamber run dry and continue heating would be.
If you have one of these and it is leaking (and out of warranty), then it should be dead simple to seal it. Just take it apart, run a bead of silicone sealant, and reassemble. Make sure that the sealant runs up to but not over the O-ring. Wait a couple of days until all the outgassing from the silicone is over and it should be just fine.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Fri May 20, 2016 9:39 pm

Have you tried to remove the "O" ring to see if there might be something behind it. I have had several of the permanent tanks and the seal was so tight I never had one leak. Just wondering if it might be leaking behind the seal.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS