Dreamwear Pain in the nose!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Janknitz

Re: Dreamwear Pain in the nose!

Post by Janknitz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:14 am

Guest wrote:Check out www dot nosecozys dot com for a nose guard made from organic cotton. It is so awesome!
I looked up the nosecozy site and it wouldn't help the dreamwear at all.

To the "guest" who posted this, if you want to register and point members to your site that's OK. Your product may help some people with FF or true nasal masks. But you don't enhance your credibility with this group by anonymous posting on a thread where your product makes no sense.

Post out in the Open and get some honest feedback about your product instead of a "drive by".
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

KenSC

Post by KenSC » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:10 pm

I just started using a CPAP two days ago. Went with the dreamware mask because I like how the tube connection is above your head and out of the way. I have had the same pain in my nose. First night was not too bad but last night was much worse. After reading this post I'll try loosening the straps, I think I had it too tight thinking I needed that to get a seal. Its always nice to be able to see people with similar problems and what they did.

Sheepish

Post by Sheepish » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:49 pm

Keep at it. As mentioned, it may take a bit of tweaking in one direction or the other before you find the sweet spot. I'm going through the same process these days myself. Hopefully we'll be able to home in on the Goldilocks adjustment.

Additional Comments: + Nuance Pro Gel Nasal Pillow Mask + Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask + Resmed Airfit P10

QueSera

Post by QueSera » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:15 pm

I'm using the Dreamwear with the medium pillows. I have no leaking whatsoever, which I'm very happy about. However, it is snug against my nose and rides up during the night so that it is pushing my nostrils up, smoothing them. It doesn't bother my septum, but when I wake up, my nose is sore for a half hour or so. The stranger thing is that there seems to be some kind of irritation where the edges of my nostrils touch the silicone. I use moisturizer there when I remember to; I'm afraid to try something like Vaseline, which would offer more protection to my skin but might damage the silicone
It's always something. Roseanne RoseannaDanna
I was a victim of a series of circumstances, as are we all. Malachi Constant

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:44 pm

QueSera wrote:The stranger thing is that there seems to be some kind of irritation where the edges of my nostrils touch the silicone. I use moisturizer there when I remember to; I'm afraid to try something like Vaseline, which would offer more protection to my skin but might damage the silicone
Go to the store and get a little tube of Lansinoh lanolin ointment/cream. Found in the baby aisle of most stores like WalMart.
Breastfeeding mom's use it on the nipples.
It's safe for you and for your mask.
Use a little at night right before masking up and liberally during the day if needed but I suspect a little at night will be all you need.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

luvsbluberries

Post by luvsbluberries » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:46 pm

QueSera wrote:I'm using the Dreamwear with the medium pillows. I have no leaking whatsoever, which I'm very happy about. However, it is snug against my nose and rides up during the night so that it is pushing my nostrils up, smoothing them. It doesn't bother my septum, but when I wake up, my nose is sore for a half hour or so. The stranger thing is that there seems to be some kind of irritation where the edges of my nostrils touch the silicone. I use moisturizer there when I remember to; I'm afraid to try something like Vaseline, which would offer more protection to my skin but might damage the silicone
There is also a product called Ayr Saline Nasal Gel which was recommended to me by the DME. I've only just bought it today though, so can't vouch for effectiveness.

QueSera

Post by QueSera » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:19 am

I use the Ayr, it helps a little. Thanks, Pugsy; I'll try that.
It's always something. Roseanne RoseannaDanna
I was a victim of a series of circumstances, as are we all. Malachi Constant

Maurina

Post by Maurina » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:23 am

I had the same problem last night with this mask! The whole septum/columella/subnasal area is REALLY sore and red. I did not have this problem the first time I used this mask - and I think I just figured out why: I used a chin restraint under the mask last night. And I didn't realize that it was thick enough to make a difference in the mask tightness, so I'm pretty sure that it made the mask tight enough to cause these sores. Next time I'm going to readjust the mask after put the chine restraint on. I'm just worried that I might have to skip using my CPAP altogether tonight, since both my masks (this one and the Amara) press against the same area, which is now so sore I can't even touch it without pain. And I know if it's painful tonight, I'll never get to sleep (not even with sleeping pills!)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:44 am

Maurina wrote:I had the same problem last night with this mask! The whole septum/columella/subnasal area is REALLY sore and red.
Go to WalMart or similar store and in the baby aisle is a product called Lansinoh lanolin ointment/cream.
Get some and use it liberally on the sore areas today.
It is a product used by breastfeeding moms to combat nipple soreness/cracking/redness etc. It will help.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:54 am

I tried the Dreamwear mask for about 5 nights. I loved that the hose was at the top! I feel confident that I had the right fit, and I had no discomfort with the straps or how it fit against my nose. It was AWESOME while I was laying on my back, but when I lay on my sides, it leaked like crazy! ARG! If I could train myself to lay on my back only, I would be in Heaven, but alas, that was a tried and failed experiment, so back to my Nuance nasal pillow mask, which is comfortable and never leaks while I lay on my side.
CPAP Therapy: providing restful and restorative sleep, while making you LOOK like you haven't had ANY! --me

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:54 pm

Maurina wrote:I had the same problem last night with this mask! The whole septum/columella/subnasal area is REALLY sore and red. I did not have this problem the first time I used this mask - and I think I just figured out why: I used a chin restraint under the mask last night. And I didn't realize that it was thick enough to make a difference in the mask tightness, so I'm pretty sure that it made the mask tight enough to cause these sores. Next time I'm going to readjust the mask after put the chine restraint on. I'm just worried that I might have to skip using my CPAP altogether tonight, since both my masks (this one and the Amara) press against the same area, which is now so sore I can't even touch it without pain. And I know if it's painful tonight, I'll never get to sleep (not even with sleeping pills!)
Maurina I had the *exact* same issue the first week on Cpap. About day 3 my nose became so inflamed that putting the mask on was painful! Pugsy suggested Lansinoh for bedtime, and I applied emu oil during waking hours to heal and cut down on inflammation, and by the end of the week my nose "toughened up" to where I could wear the mask through the night again. Bottom line, be kind to your nose and DON'T GIVE UP! You may have a couple nights where you just can't wear the mask all night and that's OK, but stick with it and it will get better!

Maurina

Post by Maurina » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:25 pm

I'm thinking about switching to the nasal gel pillow - from what i can tell, this doesn't put pressure on the part of the nose that is currently bothering me, is that right? As in the columella. Thoughts?

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:12 pm

Any nasal pillow mask is going to come in contact with the external nares and columella (I know my anatomy and I had to Google that one). Your nose is simply unaccustomed to having anything in constant contact with that bit of flesh for 4-8 hours and is slightly inflamed as a result. I would suggest that if that's the only point you dislike about the mask, you try to stick it out with the dreamwear for another few days to allow you nose to adjust. Otherwise you may wind up going through several masks without finding any relief.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Dreamwear pain in the nose......xxyzx pain in the ass.

Sheepish

Post by Sheepish » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:37 am

Pugsy wrote:
Maurina wrote:I had the same problem last night with this mask! The whole septum/columella/subnasal area is REALLY sore and red.
Go to WalMart or similar store and in the baby aisle is a product called Lansinoh lanolin ointment/cream.
Get some and use it liberally on the sore areas today.
It is a product used by breastfeeding moms to combat nipple soreness/cracking/redness etc. It will help.
The first few days with the Dreamwear are also giving me a sore spot where the columella meets the philtrum (6).

I went to Walmart and asked the pharmacist for Lansinoh, and though he pointed me to a similar product, he was mostly all like \_(ツ)_/. I went all the way across to the other corner of the store to the baby section (hadn't been there in quite a while ), and found the Lansinoh myself.

I applied some before putting the Dreamwear on last night. This morning seemed to be a bit better.

I'm wondering...
1. Might the Lansinoh interact with the silicone of the nosepiece after a while and cause it to deteriorate?
2. Would it be better to apply the Lansinoh only in the morning, after taking off the Dreamwear?
3. Should I keep at it, (with or without the Lansinoh?) and just toughen up, buttercup?

Additional Comments: + Nuance Pro Gel Nasal Pillow Mask + Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask + Resmed Airfit P10