Dreamwear Pain in the nose!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
vader06

Dreamwear Pain in the nose!

Post by vader06 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:26 am

Okay I have been on the CPAP therapy for almost a week. I have been using the Amara view but I decided to try the Dreamwear. I seems to fit fine and work good. I woke up a few times because the mask was hurting my nose in the septum area and upper lip. It is a medium headgear and the medium nasal cushion. I even replaced the cushion with the medium wide cushion and it still hurt my nose. I did follow the instructions and I was putting the mask on correctly. I ended up putting my Amara back on. Has anyone else had this issue?

stevedev

Re: Dreamwear Pain in the nose!

Post by stevedev » Thu May 19, 2016 5:36 pm

vader, I'm on the dreamwear too. Just started a couple nights ago. But so far so good for me. Maybe play with velcro straps a bit?

I'm still trying to find the best tension myself as first night it was getting too loose .. too far forward and then blasting me like a jet engine. Initially I thought my max pressure was wrong but my cpap is the Airsense 10 Autoset unit and it does it all Auto. Display was also reading that I had no leaks. Then I discovered if I yanked the top piece on my scalp further back.. making it tighter.. it didn't do that. In your case, it sounds like you need to play with the straps some more. I got mine snug last night without hurting and didn't experience the "blasting" problem anymore. I'm on the small nose piece.

vader06

Post by vader06 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try as far as adjusting the straps. I was about to give up on it. It just made my nose real sore.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Thu May 19, 2016 8:05 pm

I am suppose to get a dreamwear mask via UPS tomorrow.

I hope it doesn't hurt!

I started almost two weeks ago with an ESON nasal mask and it hurt the side of my nose.
Actually made a sore.

I read though that maybe most people just accept sores.

I am not sure if there are a lot of different dreamwear masks?
I am getting the one with the tube on top of your head and not at your nose.

I don't think it is considered a pillow but is seems more 'pillow like' than the eson nasal mask that I have been using.
Is this the one that y'all are using?
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 19, 2016 8:23 pm

Grace~~~ wrote:I am suppose to get a dreamwear mask via UPS tomorrow.

I hope it doesn't hurt!

I started almost two weeks ago with an ESON nasal mask and it hurt the side of my nose.
Actually made a sore.

I read though that maybe most people just accept sores.

I am not sure if there are a lot of different dreamwear masks?
No mask should ever cause an open sore, wound, broken skin or abrasion. It it does it is either
1. the wrong size
2. fitted incorrectly
3. or simply not the right mask for that particular person's facial features.
The most any nasal mask (like the DreamWear or nasal pillow) should ever cause is maybe some very minor tenderness at the nostril area simply because that area of the body is pretty much virgin territory and not used to having anything up against it. When people complain of more than minor tenderness then something is wrong with size or fit....most often people have things way too tight. Properly inflated, sized and fitted these masks do not have to be very tight to seal.

It's hard for newbies to judge what is "acceptable" in terms of mask fit or comfort because they don't have experience to fall back on but most people DON'T accept sores, wounds, blisters, pain or skin abrasions from masks. It's unacceptable IMHO.

There is just one Respironics DreamWear mask...so that's the one you see being talked about.
vader06 wrote:I will give that a try as far as adjusting the straps. I was about to give up on it. It just made my nose real sore
If adjusting the straps does not resolve your problem you may need the larger sized frame.
The fit pack mask package comes with the medium size frame and multiple cushion sizes. There is a larger frame available (as well as smaller frame if the medium is too large). Something to think about if you like the mask well enough otherwise. If you don't...move on to a different mask.

I did try the DreamWear when it was first released and used it for 30 days to give it a good test run. It's a nice mask and the fact that I used it for 30 days says something because if I don't like something I don't continually bang my head against the wall trying to make it work. I have no patience for anything that causes pain or discomfort and I see no reason to go there. It didn't replace my nasal pillow mask (the ResMed AirFit P10) as my primary mask...I have my own personal preference about having as little as possible on my face and head and while the DreamWear wasn't causing a huge presence...it still has more of a presence than the P10. I did keep the DreamWear though...just in case I couldn't use my nasal pillows for some reason, like maybe a pimple or ingrown hair right inside the nostril.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Thu May 19, 2016 11:14 pm

Thanks Pugsy.

OK ... I am going to believe that sores are unacceptable.
I hope this mask tomorrow is an improvement.
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Fri May 20, 2016 3:03 am

I initially had the same issue and solved it by using a vaseline (petroleum jelly) barrier and adjusting the pressure being put on the bottom of my nose by moving the top silicone strap (the part with the hose attached) further forward on my head.

vader06

Post by vader06 » Fri May 20, 2016 7:43 am

Thank you for your words of wisdom Pugsy. Last night I made some adjustments with some help from my wife. It was a little better with some adjustments but I was still getting soreness on the left side of my nose. I am going to take a break from it for a day or two and then try it again with more adjustments. If the third time does not work for me I will be returning it. The Medium frame fits good so I do not think I need a different size. It will be a shame because I really like the mask. I have an Amara View which seems to be working good for me as well. It is getting more comfortable the more I use it.

DaisySmith

Post by DaisySmith » Sat May 21, 2016 6:47 pm

I got sores the first week but I used a barrier cream which doesnt smell great but works very well. It is a baby diaper rash ointment with caster oil. Ive also used coconut oil which smells better but doesnt work as well. Like a pair of new shoes I think sometimes it just rubs till your skin gets used to it which mine did and I no longer need creams. I have to say it hurt like a b&^#@! at first

mcdonamw

Post by mcdonamw » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:01 pm

I just got the Dreamwear mask myself and have experienced pain myself. It seems to push too hard on my septum (but I have to keep it tight or it simply is too loose and loses seal), but worse the air pressure blows the inner wall of the mask opening outwards and it actually cut my lip/philtrum (picture a paper cut from the silicone edge). I like the mask a lot as I'm coming from a full face mask and I love the footprint of this one, but I don't know if I'll ever get used to it due to the pain.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:06 pm

I find it's a little tricky to find the right tension on this mask while avoiding leaking. Recently mine began leaking more because the straps are stretching. Too much tension means a mildly sore nose, too little means leaking. So you just have to keep playing to find that "sweet spot". In addition, shifting the silicone headgear forward or backward sometimes helps.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:21 pm

mcdonamw wrote:I just got the Dreamwear mask myself and have experienced pain myself. It seems to push too hard on my septum (but I have to keep it tight or it simply is too loose and loses seal), but worse the air pressure blows the inner wall of the mask opening outwards and it actually cut my lip/philtrum (picture a paper cut from the silicone edge). I like the mask a lot as I'm coming from a full face mask and I love the footprint of this one, but I don't know if I'll ever get used to it due to the pain.
If you can use a nasal mask like the Dreamwear, you could try a nasal pillow mask like the Swift FX or AirFit P10. They shouldn't bother the outside of the middle of your nose, and if fitted properly they might just be what you're looking for. There's a reason that there's a lot of CPAP masks on the market, people come in all shapes and sizes, and what works for one person might not work for the next guy. The online store, cpap.com, does have return insurance, so you can try a different mask for 30 days with low risk. Some of them have free return insurance, which is virtually no risk, like the Swift FX and the AirFit P10. I have felt that if a mask has free return insurance, then it is one that is working for a lot of people that try it. Otherwise, the return insurance would be higher, that's business.

SmokeChaser426

Post by SmokeChaser426 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:14 pm

Hello, I have been using the DreamWear mask for about 60 days. It took me the first three nights to get the tension right.
Once I got the straps pulled and velcro down it fits snugly every night. I like how I can pull it on like a catchers mask. Pull
it down give the hose a tug on the top of my head and it is in place. The only time I have a problem is when I clean the pads
and straps. That could be something to consider is the placement of the facial pads, lower towards your nose or higher near
your cheek bones. Finding a comfortable mask is so important to your therapy. I read the message board and there are so many
people that have gone through 3 or more masks trying to find the right fit.
Good luck on your finding the right one for you,

Johnnyh14

Post by Johnnyh14 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:23 pm

I have my Dreamwear 2 nights and changed the nose piece today and expect better results. Nice to see TV again. Had been using a variety of masks with success. Always with the mask blocking one eye or the other.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Check out www dot nosecozys dot com for a nose guard made from organic cotton. It is so awesome!