100% compliant to CPAP, still tired, can I do something ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jaw

Re: 100% compliant to CPAP, still tired, can I do something ?

Post by jaw » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:51 am

mummmz wrote:I quickly scanned through most of this post. I think CPAP therapy has done as much as it can. Now focus on fixing the rest of your health...especially the vitamin D deficiency and fatty liver/hepatitis.
1. Get copies of your blood work results. Then you don't have to try to remember what they were and you can bring the results to any other doctors you see.
2. Vitamin D deficiency will cause fatigue. Take the vitamin D and ask the doctor if you should be treated with a higher dose to get within normal range.
3. Fatty liver/hepatitis...Read up on the correct diet for fatty liver. *Do not drink alcohol. *Fats in food do not cause fatty liver, a high carbohydrate diet causes it. Look into a LCHF (low carb-high healthy fat) or keto diet. *Find a hepatologist (doctor who specializes in liver disease).
4. Do you have diabetes? Have you had an A1C blood test?
Hi

1) Blood work result: I'll ask my family doctor, good point
2) Vitamin D deficiency normally cause only muscle fatigue, not brain fatigue, I think, although there are some studies are looking into altered cognitive ability due to vitamin D deficiency as well.
3) Fatty liver: I'll read on that
4) I don't know if I have diabetes, will ask my family doctor for an A1C blood test.

using PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus, PR System One Heated Humidifier, Mirage FX Nasal CPAP Mask with headgear.

jaw

Post by jaw » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:49 am

So here is my blood test, after a lot of work to ask for it from my doctor (funny right ?)

High resolution image http://extrazoom.com/image-63273.html?heuln50x50

Low resolution image:

1) Remarkts:
Vitamin B1 and B12 a bit too high
Vitamin D significantly too low

2) Question
- Is Hemoglobine my Iron level ?
- Is there something talking about my sugar level ?

Thanks

using PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus, PR System One Heated Humidifier, Mirage FX Nasal CPAP Mask with headgear.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:21 am

Iron is a component of your red blood cell count (hemoglobin).

You need to ask your doctor about sugar - doesn't appear on the list you gave, but that's been cut off.

And we are not doctors, but you could ask yours if he thinks more Vit. D might help you in some way.

jaw

Post by jaw » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Julie wrote:Iron is a component of your red blood cell count (hemoglobin).

You need to ask your doctor about sugar - doesn't appear on the list you gave, but that's been cut off.

And we are not doctors, but you could ask yours if he thinks more Vit. D might help you in some way.
So it's good that my hemoglobin is good enough

I'm taking vitamin D per day. What I don't understand is that why my vit D is so low. Of course I am not exposing my skin enough to the sun (as every programmer), plus my skin is dark and the Netherlands rarely has sun. But in the period of 12 months ago --> 6 months ago I've taken not too little amount of vitamin D pills.

Or do I need an injection ?

mummmz

Post by mummmz » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:35 pm

I don't see an A1C or glucose either. It should be in the chemistry section. I assume the doctor is treating your vitamin D deficiency with pills then will retest. In the meantime get outside during lunch and whenever you can. Do you drink milk? Milk in the US had added vitamin D. Vitamin B is not far off normal limits. Ask for a blood test for Hemoglobin A1C and fasting glucose next time you go to the doctor.

About that "naughty room" I saw in the posts...it's not above a garage or mechanical room is it? Could it have some offgasing from something? Has it recently been painted or new carpet installed? New furniture?

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:09 pm

You need to ask your doctor about e.g. injections, not us, but you also at this point need to start doing a little bit more for yourself altogether... we can't live your life for you, or solve it, or anything much else but help with advice on Cpap. Of course it's harder when you're half asleep, but a lot of us are not a lot better off on many days, but make the effort anyway.

jaw

Post by jaw » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Julie wrote:You need to ask your doctor about e.g. injections, not us, but you also at this point need to start doing a little bit more for yourself altogether... we can't live your life for you, or solve it, or anything much else but help with advice on Cpap. Of course it's harder when you're half asleep, but a lot of us are not a lot better off on many days, but make the effort anyway.
Thank you Julie, as always,
I really do appreciate your time and energy, not only to me, but to everyone here.
People like you make CPAPTALK.com alive.

I'll do my homework

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:18 pm

Look into modinafil. If your issue doesnt resolve within a year. Look to cns stimulants.

jaw

Post by jaw » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:56 am

For the last 36 hours, I've switched the pressure back from 10cm to 8cm, and now I am curious if it would continue to be OK.

History: 3.5 months of CPAP, first 15 days on 6cm, then next 60 days on 8cm, then next 30 day on 10cm.

Why did I change back to 8 ?
- I don't see added benefit of having 10cm, 10 also gives me an AHI in the rage of 0.5 --> 1.0, the same as 8cm.
- 10cm seems to pump too much air into my stomach, that make me having to burp when wake up.

Effect:
- the first 3 times (the night before yesterday, yesterday's nap after lunch and yesterday night) sleeping with 8cm give me AHI of 0.5 --> 1.0. So using 10cm in the last 1 month did not change my airway
- the initial 2 times sleeping with 8cm (the night before yesterday, yesterday's nap after lunch ) seem to make me a bit tired.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:01 am

Is there a serious question here? You've already seen what moving the pressure up and then down achieved... why do you really need us to vet them for you? And you've also been advised to stay put at any one set-up for a few days at a time to see how things play out - one night of anything will not give you a valid picture to base your future use on. You have some kind of a brain - use it, log what you think and the results of doing whatever you do, and then come to some consensus about things. Then, when you have the best set-up you can achieve, and results based on a week's use at specific settings come and tell us the (hopefully) good news... but posting random bits of changes, sometimes various ones at the same time (only confuses things) is not going to help you.

And maybe go for a walk in the park (or on a canal there... I'm envious) to break your obsession about Cpap - change your routine, find something new to have passion about even if you're a bit tired, but you're going in circles of your own design at this point and need to find a way out. Don't stop caring about OSA, but there's a lot more to life besides Cpap too.

Sylvia54

Post by Sylvia54 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:34 am

Julie wrote:Is there a serious question here? You've already seen what moving the pressure up and then down achieved... why do you really need us to vet them for you? And you've also been advised to stay put at any one set-up for a few days at a time to see how things play out - one night of anything will not give you a valid picture to base your future use on. You have some kind of a brain - use it, log what you think and the results of doing whatever you do, and then come to some consensus about things. Then, when you have the best set-up you can achieve, and results based on a week's use at specific settings come and tell us the (hopefully) good news... but posting random bits of changes, sometimes various ones at the same time (only confuses things) is not going to help you.

And maybe go for a walk in the park (or on a canal there... I'm envious) to break your obsession about Cpap - change your routine, find something new to have passion about even if you're a bit tired, but you're going in circles of your own design at this point and need to find a way out. Don't stop caring about OSA, but there's a lot more to life besides Cpap too.

Julie is right. This has gone on and on for 10 pages now. Maybe it's time to go back and see your sleep doctor or maybe a sleep therapist? It's easy to become obsessed with sitting at a computer, I have that tendancy myself; Facebook, forums, email, and you stop having a life outside of that with real people. It's summer so get out in the sun for some fresh air.

jaw

Post by jaw » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:17 pm

My point of asking is: does using a pressure X after sometime condition my body (e.g. airway) to not go easily with other pressure less than X.

If this is true, I would like to know before hand, so that I would not waste several days and waste my health trying it.

My symptoms so far with coming back to the pressure of 8cm:
- Dream more
- Feel sleepy more around noon,
than the 1 month with 10 cm

jaw

Post by jaw » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:35 am

This morning I feel my brain much better than the average of the last 1 month: tension seems and brain fogginess seems to reduce greatly.

I tend to think that stress causes one big part of my brain tiredness,

What have I done
- Yesterday went to a psychological doctor, where I tell every thing that bothers my mind and how stressful my life is. The feeling afterwards is great. The doctor mentions "mindfulness" as a way to reduce stress.
- Yesterday spent 1 day by a lake with the kids, where I spent time looking at the water. Looking at water is always my best stress-release action.

PS: I also changed my pressure from 8 to 9, after seeing that I fall asleep easily around lunch.

Thanks,

Last edited by jaw on Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
> 15 years of Apnea, discovered in 2016 with AHI = 50

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:56 pm

But did you use the machine for the nap? Wouldn't be very mindful otherwise!

jaw

Post by jaw » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:29 pm

Julie wrote:But did you use the machine for the nap? Wouldn't be very mindful otherwise!
I am at work, and fall asleep while reading a book (studying for an exam)