No water being consumed at night from the humidifier.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mike Sellers

No water being consumed at night from the humidifier.

Post by Mike Sellers » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:41 am

My 60 series Phillips Resp. is 4 + years old and the humidification chamber is still full after a nights use. What could be the cause?

Julie

Re: No water being consumed at night from the humidifier.

Post by Julie » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:46 am

Your local climate is most likely... someone living in NJ in springtime, or Washingston State may hardly ever need the humidifier, but others in Colo or Arizona may need it all the time... and seasonal changes also affect things of course.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:52 am

What is your ambient bedroom humidity? Has it been raining lately? What setting are you using on your machine and are you using the heated hose or regular hose?
Several things can impact water consumption with ambient humidity being primary.
I always maximize my humidity setting because I seem to need a lot of moisture but when it rains or the humidity is high and the windows are open I don't always see much/if any water used.
If your ambient bedroom humidity is already high for some reason then the machine won't need to add as much moisture to the air so less water will be consumed.

Now if you live in a more arid ambient humidity area and the humidity setting is high and no water is being used then we would suspect the humidifier not working properly. It's not all that common for a humidifier or main blower connection to humidifier in the 60 series to fail but it can happen.

So evaluate ambient humidity first and if that doesn't appear to be a suspect then consider humidifier failure or the connector failure in the blower unit (fairly well known in 50 series machines but not so much in the 60 series). There is a fairly simple fix if it is a connector issue in the main blower unit but involves opening the blower unit.

Last edited by Pugsy on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:53 am

There is a known problem with PR humidifiers. Mine quit working about 3 years in. It's a problem with the main unit, not the humidifier unit.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:24 am

Mike Sellers wrote:My 60 series Phillips Resp. is 4 + years old and the humidification chamber is still full after a nights use. What could be the cause?
I can't remember for sure, but I think the 60 series copied the resmed preheat feature, set it for that, and see if the plate warms up.

also, be aware that the machines have humidistats in them, as the ladies above alluded to, so they don't just stupidly run at a set temperature, they add just enough humidity to reach whatever the set amount is.

however 2, the sequel, as Janknitz said, respironics machines have a history of marginally engineered heating circuits, and there's a connector that sometimes burns inside, cutting off power to the humidifier plate, there are a couple threads here about opening up the unit and repairing it (it's a pretty simple fix)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

hpm08161947

Post by hpm08161947 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:45 pm

A few months ago, my wife's useage of h20 in her humidifier became essentially 0, whereas normally it has to be refilled every night (very high humidity setting). After checking the pllugs I noticed the power plug was only about 80% inserted. After fully inserting the plug normal water useage returned. I have no idea if that is your problem (probably not) just something that happened here.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:56 pm

Here's the write-up on the 50 series problem with the contact overheating. I would hope that PR woulda' corrected that issue in the newer series but..........

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102275&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=solder

library lady

Post by library lady » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:21 pm

My PR 60 heater is currently turned off, so it doesn't noticeably use much water. If I turn it on, more water is used so I have to fill it more often. As others above said, your location, the ambient temperature, outdoor temps and rain or drought conditions cause variability in the amount of water used. Here in Minnesota, it's currently hot and humid, with lots of rain, so not as much water is needed. In winter, I have to fill every three or four days, partly because that's when I turn the heater back on, but also because of the cold dry climate here in the Midwest. If you have a humidifier running in your home, there is probably no noticeable usage of water in the humidifier tank of your machine. Hope this helps!

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.