Woke up for the first time today without a big headache

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Enchanter

Woke up for the first time today without a big headache

Post by Enchanter » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:22 am

I just got out of the hospital a day or two ago. The doctors performed UPPP surgery as well as turbinate reduction. I was told that it would be extremely painful and it sure was coming out of the Anesthesia. But I already noticed within the first 5 minutes that my breathing was about 3 to 5 times deeper and easier. No longer were my tonsils, soft palate, and turbinates getting in the way. It was just what I needed. It felt like removing golf balls and excess tissue stuck in your throat. For the past 10 years I woke up with extremely bad headaches and I would say between a scale of 1 to 10 they were about a 10. No amount of biking or weight lifting I did could bring down the headache. I always had a hard time breathing with ease, even though my oxygen was fine during waking hours. I just knew something wasn't right. But I finally got some sleep and I woke up today with no headache and this is how I used to feel 10 to 15 years ago. I still have some considerable pain from the throat and have to take my medication for a while.

This post is not to bash CPAP or any other OSA strategy. The reason I wrote this is that just in case there anyone out there who is struggling and anyone out there who happens to see this and wonders if there is anything they can use in conjunction with their CPAP therapy, I can assure you that there might be, but at the same time, everyone is different. For me, this is working and it worked exactly how I had hoped after just a day or 2. So in a sense it's been a miracle. But I also understand that there are still more obstacles to come and that my throat pain levels will go up and down. It's not exactly a therapy for the faint of heart but I'm someone that was in a desperate situation and this was the right path for me. It took a long time to schedule the appointment, but it was the right decision.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

Cardsfan

Re: Woke up for the first time today without a big headache

Post by Cardsfan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:29 am

Oh my. How long were u in the hospital?

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:45 am

I challenge you to come back here in 6-9 months and tell us if it is still working... based on everything we know of others who've had that surgery in the past. How you feel today, while nice for you, is unlikely to match how you'll feel in future. And BTW, your lack of headache is very likely due to the anesthetic still in your system and the 02 you were given during surgery.
Last edited by Julie on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:13 am

Do u still use the cpap machine?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:25 am

Julie wrote:I challenge you to come back here in 6-9 months and tell us if it is still working... based on everything we know of others who've had that surgery in the past. How you feel today, while nice for you, is highly unlikely to match how you'll feel in future. And BTW, your lack of headache is very likely due to the anesthetic still in your system and the 02 you were given during surgery.
A little negative Julie....Glass half empty this AM?

egzbuen

Post by egzbuen » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:30 am

Enchanter wrote:I just got out of the hospital a day or two ago. The doctors performed UPPP surgery as well as turbinate reduction. I was told that it would be extremely painful and it sure was coming out of the Anesthesia. But I already noticed within the first 5 minutes that my breathing was about 3 to 5 times deeper and easier. No longer were my tonsils, soft palate, and turbinates getting in the way. It was just what I needed. It felt like removing golf balls and excess tissue stuck in your throat. For the past 10 years I woke up with extremely bad headaches and I would say between a scale of 1 to 10 they were about a 10. No amount of biking or weight lifting I did could bring down the headache. I always had a hard time breathing with ease, even though my oxygen was fine during waking hours. I just knew something wasn't right. But I finally got some sleep and I woke up today with no headache and this is how I used to feel 10 to 15 years ago. I still have some considerable pain from the throat and have to take my medication for a while.

This post is not to bash CPAP or any other OSA strategy. The reason I wrote this is that just in case there anyone out there who is struggling and anyone out there who happens to see this and wonders if there is anything they can use in conjunction with their CPAP therapy, I can assure you that there might be, but at the same time, everyone is different. For me, this is working and it worked exactly how I had hoped after just a day or 2. So in a sense it's been a miracle. But I also understand that there are still more obstacles to come and that my throat pain levels will go up and down. It's not exactly a therapy for the faint of heart but I'm someone that was in a desperate situation and this was the right path for me. It took a long time to schedule the appointment, but it was the right decision.
I hope it works out for you permanently buddy.

I tried to consider the surgery route before but my sleep doctor discouraged me to do so. She told me it had a less than 50% chance of success rate and a more than a 60% chance of the problem coming back. No idea how accurate those stats are but that's what she told me.

Sent from hell

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:10 am

Everything I've read and seen on the forum re UVVV, PPP, whatever has been negative... obviously if it works, great, but I think he should be retested in six mos. to see if he's really apnea free.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:50 am

Julie wrote:I challenge you to come back here in 6-9 months and tell us if it is still working... based on everything we know of others who've had that surgery in the past. How you feel today, while nice for you, is highly unlikely to match how you'll feel in future. And BTW, your lack of headache is very likely due to the anesthetic still in your system and the 02 you were given during surgery.

No offense Julie but I think I will trust my Harvard and UCLA graduate doctors over you. But if you want me to not feel great, then that's fine. But there are plenty of others who have had great success. As I said, I can breathe much better and feel more room. Obviously having no tonsils is better than having enlarged tonsils blocking your airways. But hey if you'd like to be negative, be my guest.

I have to recover and won't be on here anymore because of the negativity. But I just had to post this for anyone who might be curious for themselves. I have no obligation to make anymore comments. Goodbye.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:30 am

Enchanter wrote:I have to recover and won't be on here anymore because of the negativity. But I just had to post this for anyone who might be curious for themselves. I have no obligation to make anymore comments. Goodbye.
There's always some negativity with change, after all people are people. I wish you luck and would like it if you came back in six months and updated us on your status. Good or bad, mostly because it's interesting.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Michelle-OH

Post by Michelle-OH » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:34 am

Good for you, hope you continue to feel great! Encouraging news for others who suffer with the same thing.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:12 pm

If you have not done so, get some Cloriseptic (I am not sure of the spelling) spray. It will help numb your throat and back of your mouth when you have to take your pain medicine. I used it when I had my surgery several years ago. The pain medicine I was given was a liquid with a lot of alcohol in it. It felt worse than the pain from the surgery until I got some of the spray and started using it.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:29 pm

For the first few days after my breast surgery, I wore a pair of analgesic infusion pumps.
All told, I barely used half of my oral pain meds.
Those things are GENIUS!

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:44 pm

Enchanter wrote: I have no obligation to make anymore comments. Goodbye.
hope springs eternal.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:03 pm

Keep practicing with your cpap machine - you will probably need it again in 6 months or at best a few years.

Now that you are getting sleep and O2 maybe you will be able to think straight enough to deal with your issues.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:26 pm

Julie wrote:I challenge you to come back here in 6-9 months and tell us if it is still working... based on everything we know of others who've had that surgery in the past. How you feel today, while nice for you, is unlikely to match how you'll feel in future. And BTW, your lack of headache is very likely due to the anesthetic still in your system and the 02 you were given during surgery.
Just another typical Julie post ... so kind and encouraging to someone who has had such difficulty.

Congratulations Enchanter for being an advocate for your own health. Let us know how it goes.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10