AHI observation based on sleep position

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CPAP_DAD6

AHI observation based on sleep position

Post by CPAP_DAD6 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:13 am

Bipap user 3.5 wks in

I had been averaging 15-20 AHI per night when I was sleeping on my left side. I fell asleep on my right side last nigh and all the sudden my AHI went down to 1.5. Just thought it was an interesting observation. Does anyone have an explanation or had similar findings?

DreamStalker

Re: AHI observation based on sleep position

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:14 am

CPAP_DAD6 wrote:Bipap user 3.5 wks in

I had been averaging 15-20 AHI per night when I was sleeping on my left side. I fell asleep on my right side last nigh and all the sudden my AHI went down to 1.5. Just thought it was an interesting observation. Does anyone have an explanation or had similar findings?
Julie wrote:Yes, it's normal and happens to many people... a cardiac issue, but not one to worry about.

Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation is the most likely explanation.

However, if you want to believe in a silly cardiac issue hypothesis ... suit yourself.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

CPAP_DAD6

Post by CPAP_DAD6 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:23 am

DreamStalker wrote:
CPAP_DAD6 wrote:Bipap user 3.5 wks
Julie wrote:Yes, it's normal and happens to many people... a cardiac issue, but not one to worry about.

Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation is the most likely explanation.

However, if you want to believe in a silly cardiac issue hypothesis ... suit yourself.
I'm not sure what you mean by this?

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:31 am

CPAP_DAD6 wrote:
On your back, gravity easily pulls your tongue into the back of your throat and restricts your airway.

On your side, gravity adds resistance to keep your tongue from slipping into your airway and the force vector is also significantly eliminated/reduced to keep your tongue out of your throat.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

CPAP_DAD6

Post by CPAP_DAD6 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:34 am

DreamStalker wrote:
CPAP_DAD6 wrote:
On your back, gravity easily pulls your tongue into the back of your throat and restricts your airway.

On your side, gravity adds resistance to keep your tongue from slipping into your airway and the force vector is also significantly eliminated/reduced to keep your tongue out of your throat.

But how does explain changes from left side to right side?

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:40 am

CPAP_DAD6 wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:
CPAP_DAD6 wrote:

But how does explain changes from left side to right side?
Sorry. I thought you were referring to back vs side sleeping. My bad. However if it was just for one night, it may have been something else .. a one night event type thing.

The other possibility are mask leak differences between sleeping on right vs left. You would need to look at your leak data to find out.

Getting back to Julie's comment ... Do you (@CPAP_DAD6) have a heart arrhythmia? If yes, the only possible way that it could affect your breathing (and your AHI) is if you are having a form of arrhythmia known as ventricular tachycardia (VT), a very dangerous condition where the left ventrical of your heart loses sinus rhythm causing a severe lack of oxygen which in turn increases out-of-control rise in your heart rate leading to greater reduced oxygen and heavy breathing ..... and if you manage to live through that without having a cardiac arrest, you would know it, because you would wake up panting and gasping like a fish for air. If that is indeed what has been happening to you, then Julie may be partly right except that it is definitely something you need to worry about and get checked out immediately, like right now. The cause of VT is sometimes occlusion (blockage) of the left coronary artery which would require stenting and/or bypass or it may be triggered by atrial fibrillation (A-Fib is another form of arrhythmia). Either way, if you are waking up gasping for air with a racing heart that continues to race even after you wake, you do need to get your heart checked out .... but I'm sure you would have already done that because it does feel like you are having some sort of a heart attack.
Last edited by DreamStalker on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:40 am

There is that much difference in AHI between left and right side sleeping? That is incredible. I will have to get a night stand for the right side of the bed and set up my machine there!

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:00 am

I should say that I was repeating something I read in the past and it probably sounded worse than it was ever meant to be... I also should have mentioned that the right vs left can affect acid reflux, probably more so than the other.

CPAP_DAD6

Post by CPAP_DAD6 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:33 am

raisedfist wrote:
There is that much difference in AHI between left and right side sleeping? That is incredible. I will have to get a night stand for the right side of the bed and set up my machine there!

Well I don't have enough data to support that. Possibly a fluke I'll let you know...just saw a major difference last night so I shall try my theory v again tonight