Hi, new member help with Resmed Machine selection

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
djensen9367

Hi, new member help with Resmed Machine selection

Post by djensen9367 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:17 am

I am going into VA tonight for my 2nd sleep study to trial a Resmed macnine.
I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and also have COPD.
VA here in Portland,Or has: Resmed Autosense 10 autoset and Resmed Air Curve 10 Vauto bilevel units.

I asked about bilevel on my first night and was told they will try CPAP first then evaluate if I need bilevel. My question is will the Autosense 10 Autoset address my COPD adequatly or do I really need the bilevel. If it will I won't push for the bilevel but definitly want what will take care of both problems the best.
I have read this and other forums for days but still a little confused on whether or not autosense will address the above issues. I believe there is no difference in masks for the two devices from what I have read so far. Thanks in advance for any guidance you ca n give before I go in for my final study tonight.
Last edited by djensen9367 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently using Autosense10 thru VA
F30 favorite mask, F20 airtouch best for occasional change

Julie

Re: Hi, new member help with Resmed Machine selection

Post by Julie » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:26 am

As they told you, until you're titrated, they can't say if you need a bilevel machine (vs plain Apap) or not. How can we evaluate whether or not one machine or the other can help you, not being doctors, not knowing your detailed med. history, not knowing a whole lot of things (as being just other Cpap users on the internet)?

Once you're told whether you need bilevel or not, we'd be happy to help you with a lot of info re using your machine, following your progress with software, etc., so let us know (in this thread) when you have answers.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:06 am

Unfortunately, unless you are paying out of pocket, insurance/Medicare/Tricare requires you to trial on a cpap before you can trial on a higher end machine. Doesn't seem to matter what your problem is UNLESS you were already using a cpap.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

djensen9367

Post by djensen9367 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks for the responses, I understand the procedures and will probably have to do the same with VA, but you both have missed the question.
Do you think an autosense (apap) will work OK with my COPD - no sense in BiPap if the cheaper machine will work.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:07 am

Forum member slinky had/has COPD and used/uses a BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex ... if that helps.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

djensen9367

Post by djensen9367 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:03 pm

DreamStalker wrote:Forum member slinky had/has COPD and used/uses a BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex ... if that helps.
This is the most useful post yet and thank you.

To the others, i have googled and read until my eyes bleed (incuding this forum), i was looking for the info i just got, someone who might have 1st hand experience with copd - thanks for your efforts but they really missed the mark. I might post back after my appointment tonight with VA

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:38 pm

Seems Slinky has not been active since January 2014 ... However, this is what a forum search of Slinky and COPD turned up ...

viewtopic/t112502/search.php?keywords=slinky+copd
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

djensen9367

Post by djensen9367 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:00 pm

DreamStalker wrote:Seems Slinky has not been active since January 2014 ... However, this is what a forum search of Slinky and COPD turned up ...

thank you very much,i did a search for slinky but came up with much less information. this was very enlightening and helpful. I wil be going in for my sleep study in a few hours so that will tell a lot. I am just trying to make sure I get the best equipment for my problems. VA has been great on everything else so I am sure they will set me up on this also. Thank you again, will post results tomorrow.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:07 pm

djensen9367 wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:Seems Slinky has not been active since January 2014 ... However, this is what a forum search of Slinky and COPD turned up ...

thank you very much,i did a search for slinky but came up with much less information. this was very enlightening and helpful. I wil be going in for my sleep study in a few hours so that will tell a lot. I am just trying to make sure I get the best equipment for my problems. VA has been great on everything else so I am sure they will set me up on this also. Thank you again, will post results tomorrow.
the best equipment for copd is the resmed air10 vauto, because it can be tuned quite a bit to make it easier to breath with COPD. they have a S9 VPAP COPD version that comes 'pre tuned' but that's the only advantage to it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Google can be your friend, use it. Good luck. ~~ https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cpap+for+copd

djensen9367

Post by djensen9367 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:35 am

UPDATE:
Completed sleet study and got the Resmed Autosense S10 Auto, very nice unit. VA will monitor for a month or two and depending on the numbers will probably issue a Bipap (curve).

Tonight will be my first night to work with it, had to order a mask as the VA masks are older models (their supply chain is slow upgrading) For now i have a Resmed Mirage Quattro which did well on Study night. Time to get busy and dial everything in (including my brain).

I want to thank all the helpful members and surely will have more questions in the future.
I did order a pulse oximeter (cms 50iw) to aide in keeping track of progress and problems, none locally so waiting on China for del Thanks again ivery.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:13 am

Any Auto CPAP in the APAP mode is contraindicated to be used by those who suffer from COPD, according to the Practice Guidelines of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM). Member, slinky, who had COPD also used an oxygen concentrator.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:36 am

Avi! Stay out of other people's business, especially newbies', because all you do is add confusion and random advice that may not apply at all medically to their problems. You're not a doctor and should not be dispensing this stuff.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:36 am

slinky, who had COPD was also on oxygen concentrator.
viewtopic/t112502/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3 ... pd#p327179

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:32 pm

SewTired wrote:Unfortunately, unless you are paying out of pocket, insurance/Medicare/Tricare requires you to trial on a cpap before you can trial on a higher end machine. Doesn't seem to matter what your problem is UNLESS you were already using a cpap.
I use Medicare as my primary insurance and Tricare as my secondary insurance. My sleep doctor put the following statement on my prescription: "Prior to Bi-level, patient tried multiple mask interfaces, decreased CPAP pressure and did not tolerate CPAP device". I was given an AirCurve 10 VAUTO that I use when I sleep.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.