Travel machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fredr500

Re: Travel machine

Post by fredr500 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:26 pm

Thanks all. I'll try my S9 with no humidifier, see how I sleep with that tonight. Yes it's best just keep what I have and go with that.

KarenK

Post by KarenK » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:24 pm

I have an S9 Autoset as my main machine at home. I took it to Europe and while there, it dawned on me that when separating the two parts, I could get by with a non-Climateline hose. I already do NOT use the humidifier, as I do not need it. So, that has been my main travel unit as well. I agree, the adapter is very heavy, but otherwise, it is a good plan.

Pap-Daddy

Post by Pap-Daddy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:17 pm

fredr500 wrote:My name is Fred and I have sleep apnea. I've been on the mask for 3.5 years.

Thoughts? Take the S9, power brick and case and lug it all on the planes? Buy a cheap travel unit and just use it on the road? Spend more bucks and get something better for the road?

Thanks
Travel machines are not cheap but are normally missing some of the comfort features you have become used to having.

The best thing about a travel machine is that you are intimately familiar with it, it's parts, and how it operates. For me that makes my daily machine the very best choice.

Take the $500 you were willing to spend and spend it on the same make & model cpap you are now using. That way you will not only have a travel and a backup machine but you will have a spare power supply, humidifier chamber, hose, or whatever else might fail on a long holiday weekend when no one is open or available to help.

It really is not much trouble to travel with your everyday cpap, just get a small carry-on size suitcase on-wheels (the kind you see flight attendants with) to put your backup cpap in. Declare it as a medical device and it does NOT count against your carryon luggage in any US travel segments, but there is more on that if you do a search.

Then put in everything that is used for your cpap in that suitcase and keep it there for travel. I keep a spare mask or two, filters, hose, extension cord, outlet adapters, powerstrip, and everything you need to travel with. Leave it in the suitcase and you will never forget the things you need to enjoy your travel. Problem solved.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:30 am

I chose my backup (Intellipap Autoadjust) because of the power flexibility.
I have plugged it into the "lighter" socket at a rest stop for a nice nap--minus the hangover headache.

fredr500

Post by fredr500 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:37 am

OP here.

Three nights with no humidity (from the machine, it's pretty humid here in NC). All had AHI , 1/0, so I think I'm good to go travel with just the base. I guess the key is to just pack the base/brick/hose, etc in the suitcase, forget the travel case. Minimal difference between that and a travel machine.

Now to see if I can find an S9 or even just the S9 power brick to make disconnecting a little easier.

fmj13

Post by fmj13 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:48 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I chose my backup (Intellipap Autoadjust) because of the power flexibility.
I have plugged it into the "lighter" socket at a rest stop for a nice nap--minus the hangover headache.
Can you tell me more about the Intellipap? Especially the power flexibility? My only CPAP right now is a S9 BiPap. I am looking for another machine as a backup - I never travel with my S9 as I am afraid of losing it. Also, I have more money in my flexible spending account this year.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:44 pm

fredr500 wrote:OP here.

Three nights with no humidity (from the machine, it's pretty humid here in NC). All had AHI , 1/0, so I think I'm good to go travel with just the base. I guess the key is to just pack the base/brick/hose, etc in the suitcase, forget the travel case. Minimal difference between that and a travel machine.

Now to see if I can find an S9 or even just the S9 power brick to make disconnecting a little easier.

Don't pack it in check-in luggage, or you may not have it at the other end.

As for your last statement, are you talking about it being inconvenient to plug it in and unplug it at home? I have an odd place for my power outlet which makes it a pain at home. But I discovered that the part of the card that goes between the outlet and the power brick is the same type of cord that runs a canon printer and many other items. They can be found at thrift stores for about 2 bucks. I keep one plugged in at home all the time, and one in my travel bag. So, when it is time to go somewhere, I pack the brick and leave the other part of the card still plugged in.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

fmj13

Post by fmj13 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:06 am

I forgot to mention one of my questions - how do you prevent or lessen the chances of rainout without a climateline? With a climateline, my S9 does not get rainout hardly ever.
'

fredr500

Post by fredr500 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:11 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
fredr500 wrote:OP here.

Don't pack it in check-in luggage, or you may not have it at the other end.

As for your last statement, are you talking about it being inconvenient to plug it in and unplug it at home? I have an odd place for my power outlet which makes it a pain at home. But I discovered that the part of the card that goes between the outlet and the power brick is the same type of cord that runs a canon printer and many other items. They can be found at thrift stores for about 2 bucks. I keep one plugged in at home all the time, and one in my travel bag. So, when it is time to go somewhere, I pack the brick and leave the other part of the card still plugged in.