How long till you started noticing a difference?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tripman

How long till you started noticing a difference?

Post by tripman » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:59 am

I am new to this and have only had the machine for 2 days but how long did it take you to notice differences. Especially waking up with excessive fatigue, not being sleepy or tired all day after you started using the machine.

Sheriff Buford

Re: How long till you started noticing a difference?

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:20 am

I started feeling better around day 17. Still, some folks get a gradual, almost un-noticeable improvement in the way they feel. Keep up the treatment.

Sheriff

cands

Post by cands » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:33 am

I started feeling better on day one.

I slept for nearly 10 hours a night for the first couple of weeks. I was still tired during the day, but no longer exhausted.

Now, after 35 days the improvements continue, but at a slower pace. I don't feel tired during the day as often. I no longer need or want an afternoon nap. My blood pressure is slowly dropping and I am hoping to reduce my medication for that soon. I feel alive and alert. When I wake in the morning, I feel rested and ready to face the day, instead of wishing I could stay in bed for longer.

My AHI is averaging about 1.00 after being 58.9 during my sleep study. I'm a total convert to the benefits of CPAP. I have analysed the many helpful posts on this board, upped my minimum pressure from 6 to 11 as suggested many times to many people.

sasesusos

Post by sasesusos » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:32 am

My recollection is that I noticed a difference almost immediately, and that my morning diastolic blood pressure reading dropped 15 mm almost immediately and stayed low. I can't say that I sleep perfectly, but the big change is that I started to have long, complex, memorable dreams--and my wife started sleeping better because, according to her, I quit making loud "SNORK-CHOKE-GASP" noises several times a night.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:50 am

It was a couple of months before I felt any "drastic" difference. There were subtle changes from about the end of the first week in my case. One HUGE perk....is that I no longer seem to be forming kidney stones since starting PAP therapy. I don't get up to go to the bathroom two times a night, either.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:02 am

At first I was sleeping without panicky wake-ups all night long.
In a week, I was not falling asleep at my desk
Three months later, I noticed I was not getting winded while walking.
Six months later, my boss noticed I was much better at my job.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:22 am

Your mileage will vary.

I went from 2 naps a day to 1 nap a day in about 5 or 6 days. I still needed a nap a day for another 2 or so weeks, but I wasn't exhausted all day long either. I had a lot of problems with cpap over the winter (not sleeping enough due to RLS).

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Omne

Post by Omne » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:42 am

tripman wrote:I am new to this and have only had the machine for 2 days but how long did it take you to notice differences. Especially waking up with excessive fatigue, not being sleepy or tired all day after you started using the machine.
It's been about 1 1/2 months for me and I have only noticed a change in the past week or so. I'm still working on getting the best pressure settings. The change hasn't been major, more a matter of noticing that I am less tired in the late morning than I was a few months ago.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:33 pm

I felt worse , much worse for about 3 weeks. Presumably from REM rebound... then it started getting better and I'd say within 6 weeks I was feeling better then before I used CPAP

jaw

Post by jaw » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:35 pm

1) Using CPAP while sleeping

After 3 month, now I don't feel sleepy around noon

2) Using CPAP while awake

It helps me concentrate better in doing my programming job

using PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus, PR System One Heated Humidifier, Mirage FX Nasal CPAP Mask with headgear.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:41 pm

tripman wrote:I am new to this and have only had the machine for 2 days but how long did it take you to notice differences. Especially waking up with excessive fatigue, not being sleepy or tired all day after you started using the machine.
It all depends on how soon you get your therapy optimized........finding the correct pressure, getting leaks minimized, getting a sufficient amount of sleep time, using software to monitor therapy, not falling back to sleep without using your machine, no naps without the machine......etc., etc., etc.

It's "baby steps" and "one night at a time".
You didn't get this condition overnight and you won't reverse the effects overnight. Be patient.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:56 pm

Wulfman... wrote:It all depends on how soon you get your therapy optimized........finding the correct pressure, getting leaks minimized, getting a sufficient amount of sleep time, using software to monitor therapy, not falling back to sleep without using your machine, no naps without the machine......etc., etc., etc.
Now, Den is right. All the other answers are wrong.
The first thing is to ask you some questions. Are you monitoring your therapy with software, or at the very least through the clinician's reports on the machine display? What is your leak level? What is your AHI? Please fill out your equipment profile - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info

Are you aware that everyone's CPAP process needs to be evaluated after they start using it at home in their own bed because it may be far from optimal?

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:21 pm

How is honestly relating one's personal experiences "wrong" ? I'm just dyin' to hear the answer !

library lady

Post by library lady » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:17 pm

I started about 2 1/2 years ago and I think it was several weeks before I was sleeping through the night and maybe 2 months before I had my therapy optimized with pressure adjustments and being truly comfortable with the alien on my face. In the first year my AHI gradually went down, and by the end of the first year it was consistently between 2 and 3.5, now it usually less than 2, often 1. I am feeling much more rested these days, I don't get up to the bathroom during the night very often, rarely take naps, but apparently I still snore.

There's no hard and fast rule about when you should start noticing a difference... stick with it, and you will gradually come to notice a difference. We are all different, and adapt to change in different ways. Many people have to try a different mask, or many masks, before they are able to adapt. Others adapt with the first mask they use.

You have come to the right place for answers, come back as often as you need to for help; there is always someone able to answer your questions.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

brazospearl

Post by brazospearl » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:10 pm

"noticing a difference" is different for everybody. Some of us are able to notice real improvement almost immediately; for me, it was the morning after my titration. Others take longer. It depends on many things, including how optimal your therapy is. Don't be disheartened if you don't "see results" right away because cpap therapy isn't like, say, taking an antibiotic. Practice patience, and if something doesn't seem to be working, ask for help.