Battery usage with CPAP for traveling (S8 and A10)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mr Gadget

Battery usage with CPAP for traveling (S8 and A10)

Post by Mr Gadget » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:11 pm

I am considering using a Suaoki Portable Solar Generator instead of cheaper 12V hobby or AGM batteries, and was wondering opinions on it. As then I would also have a battery back up option at home and when traveling, but the double power transforming would really be a waste if I could only plug in via it's AC connection and not use the DC power connection, not to mention the cost.

Last edited by Mr Gadget on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

CapnLoki

Re: Battery usage with CPAP for traveling (S8 and A10)

Post by CapnLoki » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:20 am

Mr Gadget wrote:I am considering using a Suaoki Portable Solar Generatorinstead of cheaper 12V hobby or AGM batteries, and was wondering opinions on it. As then I would also have a battery back up option at home and when traveling, but the double power transforming would really be a waste if I could only plug in via it's AC connection and not use the DC power connection, not to mention the cost.
This looks promising. The 220 Watt Hours translates to 18 Amp hours at 12 Volts - the "20 Amp-hours" quoted is bogus since its rated at 11 Volts, Still this is twice as big as the smaller "airplane certified" power packs so it should last several nights. The 5 pound weight is also a sign that its more powerful than other lithium packs that have been discussed here. I strongly recommend using the 12/24 volt converter as this will be much more efficient than the built in inverter.

Personally I would still go with the 35 AH AGM option which is more power for less money, but this is certainly a lot easier to carry around.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:49 am

Mr Gadget wrote:if I could only plug in via it's AC connection and not use the DC power connection,
iirc the s8 works off 12v directly. the wiring is opposite of respironics meaning the center pin is negative. resmed didn't start using 24v until they came out with the s9 so it was deliberate to add to the cost of using the s9 and line the resmed pockets

Mr Gadget

Post by Mr Gadget » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:30 am

CapnLoki wrote:
Mr Gadget wrote:I am considering using a Suaoki Portable Solar Generatorinstead of cheaper 12V hobby or AGM batteries, and was wondering opinions on it. As then I would also have a battery back up option at home and when traveling, but the double power transforming would really be a waste if I could only plug in via it's AC connection and not use the DC power connection, not to mention the cost.
This looks promising. The 220 Watt Hours translates to 18 Amp hours at 12 Volts - the "20 Amp-hours" quoted is bogus since its rated at 11 Volts, Still this is twice as big as the smaller "airplane certified" power packs so it should last several nights. The 5 pound weight is also a sign that its more powerful than other lithium packs that have been discussed here. I strongly recommend using the 12/24 volt converter as this will be much more efficient than the built in inverter.

Personally I would still go with the 35 AH AGM option which is more power for less money, but this is certainly a lot easier to carry around.
Correct on the efficiency, I would want to use the direct 12V output and not do a double conversion. The question is if using my older S8, can I just hook up without the "filter" or do I have to use the aftermarket DC-12 cables on ebay for $100 that have included that part, or can I just use a reversed polarity 12V plug? If I go with the S8, I can't use the humidifier (and I usually need the humidifier) but with the A10 I could use it, but would definitely need the 12/24V adapter that Resmed sells for the A10 and it wouldn't last as long, and I would prefer at least 2 nites of power availability due to charging inefficiencies.

I have sent email to the mfr requesting info about the output voltage specs (11.1V) and the DC charging input size and any CB or fuses, also if it can be charged via a car's 12V plug while driving, as portable solar panels and extension cords don't work so well when your moving.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:55 pm

Mr Gadget wrote:...
I have sent email to the mfr requesting info about the output voltage specs (11.1V) and the DC charging input size and any CB or fuses, also if it can be charged via a car's 12V plug while driving, as portable solar panels and extension cords don't work so well when your moving.
I suspect the 11.1 Volts is because the natural voltage of LiIon is 3.7, so three in series is 11.1 volts. There is circuitry that converts this to 12 volts, hopefully without much loss.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html