HELP!!! Gotta make this work!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GottaSleep!!

HELP!!! Gotta make this work!

Post by GottaSleep!! » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:41 pm

I am a 50 yo man who resisted dealing with and avoided my sleep apnea for over 8 years. I tried the cpap twice and an oral appliance twice. I have used all the advice and techniques to help me adjust to no avail. I now have major health issues that are life threatening and are impacting the quality of my life. I am a nose breather so know I need either a nose mask or nasal pillows. I started again in December and have tried every mask that is out there and am now using the Dreamwear mask. I have recently used the swift and the p10 but just could not take it. If I am exhausted and fall asleep before my wife, I can sometimes sleep all night. I either wake up because of a noise or because the mask just bothers me due to the feel. I just do not like the feel of anything on my head or face. I struggle to even fall asleep with a watch on. I have tried every suggestion and trick but just cannot get over the hump. I feel so great the day after sleeping all night with my cpap but that is about 1-2 days a week at most. I need to hear from someone who has been in my position and then found a way. I am getting frustrated and depressed which is not ok. My wife and son want me back. Please help me!
Last edited by GottaSleep!! on Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kteague

Re: Third Time the Charm?

Post by kteague » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:51 pm

I'm wondering how long you have tried and how consistent you were in your prior efforts, and if maybe a prescribed sleep med just to get you past the adjustment phase could be helpful. Not sure if you tried it or not already, but the Tap Pap mask requires nothing around the head. I think there are some who can't use it due to dental work. But once I adjusted to it (a couple weeks) it felt like being set free. Good luck figuring out how to make it work for you. Sounds like you health demands you now figure it out.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:16 am

GottaSleep!! wrote:I am a 50 yo man who resisted dealing with and avoided my sleep apnea for over 8 years. I tried the cpap twice and an oral appliance twice. I have used all the advice and techniques to help me adjust to no avail. I now have major health issues that are life threatening and are impacting the quality of my life. I am a nose breather so know I need either a nose mask or nasal pillows. I started again in December and have tried every mask that is out there and am now using the Dreamwear mask. I have recently used the swift and the p10 but just could not take it. If I am exhausted and fall asleep before my wife, I can sometimes sleep all night. I either wake up because of a noise or because the mask just bothers me due to the feel. I just do not like the feel of anything on my head or face. I struggle to even fall asleep with a watch on. I have tried every suggestion and trick but just cannot get over the hump. I feel so great the day after sleeping all night with my cpap but that is about 1-2 days a week at most. I need to hear from someone who has been in my position and then found a way. I am getting frustrated and depressed which is not ok. My wife and son want me back. Please help me!
Hi GottaSleep,

Could nasal congestion be an issue for you? I have noticed my tolerance of pap therapy has improved since I started using a breath rite strip and squirts of X-Clear at night.

Why do you think you are successful 1 to 2 nights a week and not the other days?

Regarding masks, the only one I even tolerate is the elan cloth mask in my equipment profile. Even though it is on my face, since it is cloth, it is doable. But until I recently figured out the nasal congestion issue, even wearing that was dicey also.

Hang in there.

49er
Last edited by 49er on Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:28 am

Serious question - have you considered hypnosis? It can work for some people... it's really 'self' hypnosis, a small technique that can be taught quickly by a qualified person.

Janknitz

Re: HELP!!! Gotta make this work!

Post by Janknitz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:26 pm

You might try a dry brushing technique for some desensitization.

The ideal item would be one of those plastic bristle nail brushes that's really soft to the touch. Alternatively, a terry wash cloth might do. Rub your face wherever the mask touches for about 2- 5 minutes with the brush or cloth. The pressure should be light but steady. You're not trying to brush the skin off your face.

The theory behind this is to get some "sensory accommodation".

Ever walk into a room with a strong smell like perfume, baking, or bathroom smells (sorry)? After you are in the room for a few minutes, you don't notice the smell so much anymore. That's because your olfactory nerves have "accommodated" to the smell. That's the theory behind the dry brushing technique--accommodation may reduce some of your sensitivity to the sensory input from the mask on your face. I'd try this technique twice daily--once before bed and once in the morning.

Stop if this technique has ANY adverse effects.

One other thing--I can't stand the feeling of bare silicone against my face. I get Padacheek liners for all of my masks (except the Dreamware). The soft feel of the material she uses for mask liners is very soothing and comfortable--reminds me of when I used to bury my face in my blankie when I was little.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:35 pm

You got some good advice already, however It could be something besides the mask. Time to review the basic sleep hygiene tenets since your problems are not consistent... CAFFEINE, alcohol, meds, environmental etc. Start here:

http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blog ... er_19.html

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Cannuck 1

Post by Cannuck 1 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:14 pm

You bring back memories, My advice is to try and make it work by being positive and over time you will succeed in the ever changing way we mature as we walk through life.
Use the machine until a better solution is developed and enjoy your health for what we have for now!

0dodo

Post by 0dodo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:10 pm

Janknitz wrote:You might try a dry brushing technique for some desensitization.

The ideal item would be one of those plastic bristle nail brushes that's really soft to the touch. Alternatively, a terry wash cloth might do. Rub your face wherever the mask touches for about 2- 5 minutes with the brush or cloth. The pressure should be light but steady. You're not trying to brush the skin off your face.

The theory behind this is to get some "sensory accommodation".

Ever walk into a room with a strong smell like perfume, baking, or bathroom smells (sorry)? After you are in the room for a few minutes, you don't notice the smell so much anymore. That's because your olfactory nerves have "accommodated" to the smell. That's the theory behind the dry brushing technique--accommodation may reduce some of your sensitivity to the sensory input from the mask on your face. I'd try this technique twice daily--once before bed and once in the morning.

Stop if this technique has ANY adverse effects.

One other thing--I can't stand the feeling of bare silicone against my face. I get Padacheek liners for all of my masks (except the Dreamware). The soft feel of the material she uses for mask liners is very soothing and comfortable--reminds me of when I used to bury my face in my blankie when I was little.

Hello Janknitz,

I'm in the process to choose my first mask and I was looking at the Dreamware myself.
You say that you can't not stand the feeling of bare silicone against your face except for the Dreamware. May I ask why it is OK with this one, has it is all silicone Thank you!

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:53 pm

GottaSleep!! wrote:I am a 50 yo man who resisted dealing with and avoided my sleep apnea for over 8 years. I tried the cpap twice and an oral appliance twice. I have used all the advice and techniques to help me adjust to no avail. I now have major health issues that are life threatening and are impacting the quality of my life. I am a nose breather so know I need either a nose mask or nasal pillows. I started again in December and have tried every mask that is out there and am now using the Dreamwear mask. I have recently used the swift and the p10 but just could not take it. If I am exhausted and fall asleep before my wife, I can sometimes sleep all night. I either wake up because of a noise or because the mask just bothers me due to the feel. I just do not like the feel of anything on my head or face. I struggle to even fall asleep with a watch on. I have tried every suggestion and trick but just cannot get over the hump. I feel so great the day after sleeping all night with my cpap but that is about 1-2 days a week at most. I need to hear from someone who has been in my position and then found a way. I am getting frustrated and depressed which is not ok. My wife and son want me back. Please help me!
If you HAD tried all the tricks and tips, you'd probably have been successful by now.
You need to DEFINE what your specific "problems" are.
You need to fill out your profile with ALL of your equipment and settings......including humidifier settings.
You need to list ALL of the masks you've tried and what your issues were with each of them.
Were they all nasal masks? The two you listed in your post are nasal masks.
Are you mouth leaking/breathing? Dry mouth?
Are you using software to monitor your therapy?

Finally, you need to keep trying until you get YOUR therapy figured out.
All we can do is make suggestions.......YOU are the one who needs to "git 'r done!"

Just remember....... You always find what you're looking for in the last place you look. So, keep looking.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:36 pm

Hello Janknitz,

I'm in the process to choose my first mask and I was looking at the Dreamware myself.
You say that you can't not stand the feeling of bare silicone against your face except for the Dreamware. May I ask why it is OK with this one, has it is all silicone Thank you!
I think because the Dream Wear has to be somewhat tight on the nose or it's going to leak. That deeper pressure and the fact that it doesn't move around cause the same kind of sensory "accommodation" as walking into a loud room--after a while you stop hearing all the noise. But a persistent, low level noise doesn't accommodate and can drive you buggy. With my sensory issues, deep pressure is always more acceptable than light touch--think about someone tickling you with a feather vs. placing a firm hand against your cheek--which one would you squirm away from?

Other nasal pillow masks have to be somewhat loose and "floaty" on the face and they move ever so slightly. That drives me bonkers. The soft liner dampens that a bit and provides a more even pressure over the surface area.

0dodo

Post by 0dodo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:23 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Hello Janknitz,

I think because the Dream Wear has to be somewhat tight on the nose or it's going to leak. That deeper pressure and the fact that it doesn't move around cause the same kind of sensory "accommodation" as walking into a loud room--after a while you stop hearing all the noise. But a persistent, low level noise doesn't accommodate and can drive you buggy. With my sensory issues, deep pressure is always more acceptable than light touch--think about someone tickling you with a feather fs. placing a firm hand against your cheek--which one would you squirm away from?

Other nasal pillow masks have to be somewhat loose and "floaty" on the face and they move ever so slightly. That drives me bonkers. The soft liner dampens that a bit and provides a more even pressure over the surface area.

I made my pressure test with the AirFit 10P and it went well, but I like the fact that with the Dreamware the hose is on top of the head... What is your feadback for that?
but, my maine concern was the silicone because I had issus once with it. But the fact that it was OK with the nasal pillow made me think about this one. Yes, in fact,I would like a deep pressure instade of feather Thank you for your response
PS". Sorry if I made mistake I'm french speaking!

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:32 pm

I suggest using your cpap while you are watching tv or using the computer. Your body will get used to it being there if you spend enough time with it on.

If the minimum pressure when you put it on is to low to breathe comfortably, we can help with that.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:27 pm

The hose on the top of the head is great! It's like it's almost not there. I do hang my hose with a homemade contraption, and with it at the top of my head I have complete freedom of movement. And, the weight of the hose does not pull down on the mask, requiring readjustment every time you move.

The one thing that is a problem is that the back strap tends to slide up. My own fault for not doing something about it--the trick is to sew in a little bit of Velcro hook tape (the stiff side) on the inside of the strap. It catches on the hair and stops the sliding. I've been too lazy to drag out the sewing machine and do it.