Nasal Pillows

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rpq

Nasal Pillows

Post by rpq » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:35 am

I am using AirFit P10 nasal pillows for the last 5 months ever since I started CPAP. It worked very well and I was quite happy with that. However since last week I am having an issue. While on sleep (usually I sleep on side position) I noticed the pillows slightly come out of the nostrils and air is released outside. This is causing me to wake up and also some irritation on the eyes in the morning. Not sure why pillows are coming out. I am just wondering if the headgear is already stretched and has become loose. The mask is only 5 months old.

Has anyone got similar experience?

Pugsy

Re: Nasal Pillows

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:30 am

Yes...it's a common complaint with the P10.
Try washing it in really hot water to see if it will shrink up enough.

Is the headgear blue/gray or pink/gray?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

rpq

Post by rpq » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:13 am

Thanks Pugsy. Its a blue/grey headgear.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:25 am

Next time you get a new complete mask ask for the "for Her" packaging...even if you are a guy...unless you need the Large nasal pillow.
The for Her headgear is pink/gray and is slightly smaller and thus it has less chance of stretching out to the point where it is too loose. My first headgear was the blue/gray and we were told at the time that the headgear was all one size and measuring both colors seemed to bear it out but apparently at some time they started making the pink/gray headgear about an inch and a half shorter in diameter.

When I was using the blue/gray headgear I had to do monthly washings in hot water to shrink it back up again and finally after 6 or 7 months it wouldn't shrink up enough to provide enough tension to prevent the pillows from moving around too much. Eventually I got a pink/gray headgear and I no longer have to wash it to shrink it up.

The for Her packaging comes with XSmall, Small, Medium nasal pillows.
The regular blue/gray packaging comes with Small, Medium and Large nasal pillows.

Should you need the Large pillow...you can buy the headgear separately if you wish and in fact that's what I would suggest if you are paying out of pocket. The other parts to the headgear/frame won't wear out quickly and will last months and months with common sense care.
EBay is a good option for just buying the headgear.

The down side to the pink/gray headgear is that it may seem a little too snug initially for some people.
Alternately people who use the blue/gray headgear have stitched up the stretchy fabric to take up some slack so that it is a little tighter.

Eventually the headgear just needs to be replaced...for some sooner than others. I have probably 9 months on my current pink/gray headgear and still haven't needed to wash it to shrink it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Cannuck 1

Post by Cannuck 1 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:04 am

rpq wrote:I am using AirFit P10 nasal pillows for the last 5 months ever since I started CPAP. It worked very well and I was quite happy with that. However since last week I am having an issue. While on sleep (usually I sleep on side position) I noticed the pillows slightly come out of the nostrils and air is released outside. This is causing me to wake up and also some irritation on the eyes in the morning. Not sure why pillows are coming out. I am just wondering if the headgear is already stretched and has become loose. The mask is only 5 months old.

I have to agree with what Pugsy mentioned to tighten the head band, you have a excellent pillow mask.
I use the p10 and resmed fx and if you have issues with the p10 the swift fx will give any mask a run for their money is my opinion.
The swift fx has a swivel and has more flexabilty with the mask hose but the vents are not as nice dissipating exhaust as the p10.
The p10 takes a while to get use to but its my mask of first choice, getting a perfect seal forget it on any mask is what I have experienced and if you do - you will have mask strap indents on your chicks that are very noticeable.(used the p10 for 7 months and fx for 7yrs with other masks also.)
Try the swift fx for a back up mask because the head gear is a little better but still give mask marks in the morning after a good sleep.(the pillows are very similar on both masks)
Trying different sleeping pillows also can give good results for leaks of the mask also, that's a preference to each individual for a head pillow for height and softness.
If you can resolve your leaks the nasal pillow seals better because it has less surface area to seal compared to other masks.

ow

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:53 am

Once you have two masks rotate them weekly - put the "old" mask in very hot water for about 15 mins and then just leave to dry for 24 hours. Never hang the mask by the strap as it stretches easily.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:24 pm

rpq wrote:I am using AirFit P10 nasal pillows for the last 5 months ever since I started CPAP. It worked very well and I was quite happy with that. However since last week I am having an issue. While on sleep (usually I sleep on side position) I noticed the pillows slightly come out of the nostrils and air is released outside. This is causing me to wake up and also some irritation on the eyes in the morning. Not sure why pillows are coming out. I am just wondering if the headgear is already stretched and has become loose. The mask is only 5 months old.

make sure that you haven't inverted one, or both of the inner nose cones. the 'pillows' on the masks are actually double walled, there's a stiffer inner cone and a soft outer one, it's fairly easy, while cleaning and such, to get the inner cone poked in, and then there's no structure to hold the mask in place. check the cones carefully, and if one is inverted, squeeze the long part of the oval.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MylY6a6KXMY&t=1m27s

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Caymangirl

Post by Caymangirl » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Pugsy, you are a treasure. That is great information about the headgear. I found it out by accident, but having stretched head gear is a real downer and can really set your treatment back. In my case I had serious jaw pain caused by my head gear being stretched.

rpq

Post by rpq » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:32 am

My P10 came with three size pillows. Previously I used the medium one. Last night I used the small one and felt better.
Will try the tricks on the stretched head band. I washed in hot water this morning dried. will see how it going.