Do I actually have sleep apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Do I actually have sleep apnea?

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:34 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
palerider wrote: well, if you want to expand a stupid thought to encompass your whole self, .... I'd call that kinda stupid too, but, you do whatever you like.
I think they prefer you to use "Wilfully Ignorant".
well, they can just load up a browser extension that changes words for them to something they think is nicer, then, eh?

besides, I don't get the "he said something I thought was stupid" to "I've got my feelings hurt because he called me stupid" progression.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:49 pm

palerider wrote:. . . I don't get the "he said something I thought was stupid" to "I've got my feelings hurt because he called me stupid" progression.
Some find the word objectionable and harsh in any context. (At least, I know that my mommy and daddy didn't like me to use it.) But then again, maybe that doesn't apply to those kids on the Internet who have already ridden beyond the pale.(?)
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:12 pm

palerider wrote:
BlackSpinner wrote:
palerider wrote: well, if you want to expand a stupid thought to encompass your whole self, .... I'd call that kinda stupid too, but, you do whatever you like.
I think they prefer you to use "Wilfully Ignorant".
well, they can just load up a browser extension that changes words for them to something they think is nicer, then, eh?

besides, I don't get the "he said something I thought was stupid" to "I've got my feelings hurt because he called me stupid" progression.
The thing is "stupid" implies that they couldn't understand the concepts. In this case "Wilfully Ignorant" is a better term because they were not too stupid to understand.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:13 pm

jnk... wrote:
palerider wrote:. . . I don't get the "he said something I thought was stupid" to "I've got my feelings hurt because he called me stupid" progression.
Some find the word objectionable and harsh in any context. (At least, I know that my mommy and daddy didn't like me to use it.) But then again, maybe that doesn't apply to those kids on the Internet who have already ridden beyond the pale.(?)
well, maybe I can make Lend27 feel all warm and fuzzy by using a lot more words:

"Your assumption that a high percentage of people referred to a sleep test actually being found to have sleep apnea is illogical and not at all thought out, and here's why:"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:13 pm

BlackSpinner wrote: In this case "Wilfully Ignorant" is a better term because they were not too stupid to understand.
there's far too much of that going around.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:16 pm

palerider wrote:
jnk... wrote:
well, maybe I can make Lend27 feel all warm and fuzzy by using a lot more words:

"Your assumption that a high percentage of people referred to a sleep test actually being found to have sleep apnea is illogical and not at all thought out, and here's why:"
Dude, please don't steal my act!
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Caymangirl

Post by Caymangirl » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:38 pm

[[/quote]"For me, when I found out why I was so darned tired all the time, I embraced the diagnosis and the therapy. I've never regretted it and am thankful for this therapy. I'm one of those who has had suspicions that I've had it most of my life."

Well said, I feel the same. Thank God for the CPap therapy. I had almost given up especially when many doctor's told me I might never get a diagnosis of what was causing my symptoms. Remember OSA was not recognized as an illness/condition until the 1980's. Many doctors don't even consider it as the cause of HBP, diabetes, GERD etc.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:10 pm

Caymangirl wrote:Thank God for the CPap therapy. .
probably better to thank a clever doctor in australia who was looking at a vacuum cleaner and thinking 'hmm'.

MizLizzie

Post by MizLizzie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:16 pm

As a longtime lurker, I just wanted to add that when I was finally diagnosed with OSA, I had almost no symptoms. I slept well and soundly. I was not terribly overweight. My throat circumference was below the marker. I was never sleepy during the day, while watching TV, or driving. My husband claimed I did not snore, though my sisters, when they visited, disagreed. I was so asymptomatic, insurance would not give me a sleep study, so they had to send me home with only an oximeter and a heart monitor. But I had begun to suffer debilitating migraines at about age 40 for no reason, and they often came on at night. And my memory had begun to fail to the point that I just retired from work, because I thought (at age 55) that I was just old, and it had become too hard to keep up.

One night last summer, I began dreaming vividly and horrifically that I was being smothered with a pillow, I sat straight up in bed and said to myself -- this is OSA. I was dead certain -- but like you, I quickly went into denial. For about 48 hours. Then the dream came again. My mother had OSA and refused treatment until she got afib, pulmonary hypertension, and blew her mitral valve. All avoidable. I was not going down that path. I downloaded SnoreLab to my iPad and began to monitor my snoring and gasping. It was frightful.

In the end, I fought like hell for my machine and I thank God for it. I have seen firsthand what ignoring OSA will do to the human body, and my mother is lucky to be alive. Lucky that weeks and weeks of hospitalization and rehab fixed 90% of what she had ruined by being stubborn. I hope you will make peace with your diagnosis. Good luck.
ResMed AirSense 10
AirFit P10 nasal pillows

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:34 pm

Denial is a cruel master.
It will tell you everything is OK, all while sucking away your life force, one breath at a time.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:29 pm

palerider wrote:
probably better to thank a clever doctor in australia who was looking at a vacuum cleaner and thinking 'hmm'.
Maybe he had a "divine" inspiration......but it was not actually "invented" by Colin Sullivan. (according to this link)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_airway_pressure

"CPAP is an acronym for "continuous positive airway pressure", which was developed by Dr. George Gregory and colleagues in the neonatal intensive care unit at the University of California, San Francisco.[1] A variation of the PAP system was developed by Professor Colin Sullivan at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney, Australia, in 1981"

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:34 pm

palerider wrote:
We are lucky he didnt go to the hardware store, and see a leaf blower. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:59 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
palerider wrote:
Maybe he had a "divine" inspiration......but it was not actually "invented" by Colin Sullivan. (according to this link)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_airway_pressure

"CPAP is an acronym for "continuous positive airway pressure", which was developed by Dr. George Gregory and colleagues in the neonatal intensive care unit at the University of California, San Francisco.[1] A variation of the PAP system was developed by Professor Colin Sullivan at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney, Australia, in 1981[2]"
sources say:
[1]"We applied a continuous positive airway pressure to 20 infants (birth weight 930 to 3800 g) severely ill with the idiopathic respiratory-distress syndrome. They breathed spontaneously. Pressure, up to 12 mm of mercury, was delivered through an endotracheal tube to 18 infants and via a pressure chamber around the infant's head to two. Arterial oxygen tension rose in all, permitting us to lower the inspired oxygen an average of 37.5 per cent within 12 hours. Minute ventilation decreased with increased continuous positive airway pressure, but this had little effect on arterial carbon dioxide tension, pH, arterial blood pressure and lung compliance. Sixteen infants survived, including seven of 10 weighing less than 1500 g at birth." mhmm.
vs
[2]"Colin Sullivan, M.B.B.S., Ph.D, FRACP – the inventor of continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) – received the Sleep Innovator Award at the National Sleep Foundation’s Annual Awards Dinner during National Sleep Awareness Week® 2009. We asked Professor Sullivan to share his thoughts about the past and future of CPAP.
Q: What were some of your pivotal moments in the laboratory, and how have these discoveries changed the treatment of sleep apnea?

A:The pivotal moment was a night in June 1980 when we first tested the idea that positive pressure, applied just through the nasal airway, could stop obstructive apnea."

checking one's sources reveals information.

0dodo

Post by 0dodo » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:32 pm

I’m new here and I just what to give my experience to.
Just like MisLizzie, I also had no particular symptoms, except that I have trouble getting up in the morning. I have the impression that I slept on the clothesline Sometimes I get up each hour to pee… Needless to say, that the night is short and the alarm for work goes on way to soon
I have less enthusiasm than I use to have (read quite active), slightly depressed (no depression to be medicated, but I do not recognize myself, for quite some time now) . Night-sweats, and the syndrome of restless legs, a lot of aches and pains of all kinds that I have always blamed on menopause, age, and the fact that I have back problems and severe osteoarthritis. Therefore, problems I always connected with pain.

Woman, (61 y) 14 inch neck, not smoking, no hypertension, no heart problems, no snoring, no choking at night, no drossiness during the day, difficulty getting up in the morning and little overweight because the last years I am a lot less active because of the pain but nothing of the classic symptoms.

A friend who spouse was diagnosed and sees the symptoms suggest me the test. What a shock at the result...! ... Severe apnea - 33 / hr and 42 if I sleep on my back, also with central apnea.
I made the pressure test with a Respironicks Dreamstation and an AirFit P10 mask, everything went well. It seems that here in Québec, the procedure is different, so, I’m expecting the result soon.
I sincerely hope that I will see a good improvement and regain my energy! )