Help - Trying CPAP for over 8 weeks now

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
stephennic

Help - Trying CPAP for over 8 weeks now

Post by stephennic » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for everyones help on this forum so far but I have been struggling to get use to CPAP and its been a struggle the last 8 + weeks. Trying to get use to breathing with it, noise issues, gas, headaches etc.

To sum up the last 8-10 weeks:
I tried various machines Fisher and paykal icon (hard to breath with – no expiration pressure – lasted 10-15 minutes), weinmann (like a hurricane in the mask), Airsense 10 (pretty good, but got bloated with it and found it bit aggressive with breathing). Just recently I have been trying the airsense 10 for her and its less aggressive than the airsense 10 but the one I have had the most success is the dreamstation because I find its easiest to breath with. The first one I tried had noise issues so changed for another which was much quieter. I started with fixed pressure ( at 9 recommendation) but a few weeks ago I started with a auto machine (Range 6-10). If its more than 10 I get to much gas (burping etc).

However I am finding it take ages to go to sleep with – the last 4 nights have been not good at all. I am so conscious of my breathing, been getting some gas as well. I put a clock in my room last night to distract me and it didn’t work. I feel like giving up what do I do? Do other people try other methods to help them relax and sleep.

I feel I sleep better without the machine but I know with around 50 AHI on my back and about 15 on my side I need to have a CPAP machine. I cant really have a mouth device as I have had a dislocated jaw in the past and I was told I would have to be careful with using any of those devices.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

Imatryin

Re: Help - Trying CPAP for over 8 weeks now

Post by Imatryin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:47 pm

Are you a mouth breather? For the air, I found that using a nasal mask was better and the nasal pillows were even better yet when it came to swallowing air. So if you're not a mouth breather, maybe switching to a nasal mask or pillows will help.

I'm pretty new at this too and am just now learning to fall asleep with my mask on without taking a sleeping pill after 3 months of being on the cpap. 1 week Ambien free!!!!

I have a very strict bedtime routine also, which helps tremendously. Honestly, I'd get rid of the clock. Watching the clock can be the worst thing a person with a sleep disorder can do. As the clock ticks on, we tend to get more and more stressed out if we haven't fallen asleep. Some other things I do:

Wait until you are tired to go to bed. Avoid caffeine and alcohol before bed as well. And don't eat right before going to bed either.

Others will tell you to NOT do this, but I do read or watch a little tv after I put my mask on to keep my mind off my breathing. But this is something I've done every night since I was in middle school. Reading and watching tv help me to relax from the stressors of my day. BUT if reading or tv keep you awake - DON'T do it.

Whatever you do, DON'T give up. Every day get a tiny bit easier.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:13 pm

stephennic wrote:Hi all,
Thanks for everyones help on this forum so far but I have been struggling to get use to CPAP and its been a struggle the last 8 + weeks. Trying to get use to breathing with it, noise issues, gas, headaches etc.

I tried various machines Fisher and paykal icon (hard to breath with – no expiration pressure – lasted 10-15 minutes), weinmann (like a hurricane in the mask), Airsense 10 (pretty good, but got bloated with it and found it bit aggressive with breathing). Just recently I have been trying the airsense 10 for her and its less aggressive than the airsense 10 but the one I have had the most success is the dreamstation because I find its easiest to breath with. The first one I tried had noise issues so changed for another which was much quieter. I started with fixed pressure ( at 9 recommendation) but a few weeks ago I started with a auto machine (Range 6-10). If its more than 10 I get to much gas (burping etc).

However I am finding it take ages to go to sleep with – the last 4 nights have been not good at all. I am so conscious of my breathing, been getting some gas as well. I put a clock in my room last night to distract me and it didn’t work. I feel like giving up what do I do? Do other people try other methods to help them relax and sleep.

I feel I sleep better without the machine but I know with around 50 AHI on my back and about 15 on my side I need to have a CPAP machine. I cant really have a mouth device as I have had a dislocated jaw in the past and I was told I would have to be careful with using any of those devices.
Cheers
Steve
Why did you switch modes and settings?
Maybe you need to go back and try your original settings again. And/or, maybe bump up the setting to 10 if 9 isn't getting your numbers down.

Were you using EPR? If so, what setting? If you were, maybe try different settings including turning it off.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

stephennic

Post by stephennic » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:17 am

Imatryin wrote:Are you a mouth breather? For the air, I found that using a nasal mask was better and the nasal pillows were even better yet when it came to swallowing air. So if you're not a mouth breather, maybe switching to a nasal mask or pillows will help.

I'm pretty new at this too and am just now learning to fall asleep with my mask on without taking a sleeping pill after 3 months of being on the cpap. 1 week Ambien free!!!!

I have a very strict bedtime routine also, which helps tremendously. Honestly, I'd get rid of the clock. Watching the clock can be the worst thing a person with a sleep disorder can do. As the clock ticks on, we tend to get more and more stressed out if we haven't fallen asleep. Some other things I do:

Wait until you are tired to go to bed. Avoid caffeine and alcohol before bed as well. And don't eat right before going to bed either.

Others will tell you to NOT do this, but I do read or watch a little tv after I put my mask on to keep my mind off my breathing. But this is something I've done every night since I was in middle school. Reading and watching tv help me to relax from the stressors of my day. BUT if reading or tv keep you awake - DON'T do it.

Whatever you do, DON'T give up. Every day get a tiny bit easier.
Thanks for the encouragement, I am a mouth breather, had two nose ops as I couldn't breath hardly through my nose at all. I use a Amara view mask. Thanks for the tips. It is good to hear after 3 months it has improved for you. I will keep trying but do feel very tired after 8-10 weeks.
Cheers
Steve

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:18 am

Hello and welcome. Is your sleep doctor and DME working with you on all these changes? I'm surprised you've been able to try so many machines. It may be that some minor tweaks to settings would suffice rather than keep changing machines. I can only encourage you with my story that sensations I thought were intolerable I now have to laugh about. Once I did manage to get some consistent decent sleep, I was no so easily irritated. I remember hating some masks because the air blew on my arm. Now I position my arms to catch the breeze. Just know that a rough start isn't any indication of your future success (or lack thereof). Hang in there.

stephennic

Post by stephennic » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:55 am

Wulfman... wrote:
stephennic wrote:Hi all,

Cheers
Steve
Why did you switch modes and settings?
Maybe you need to go back and try your original settings again. And/or, maybe bump up the setting to 10 if 9 isn't getting your numbers down.

Were you using EPR? If so, what setting? If you were, maybe try different settings including turning it off.

Den

As I wasn't getting a good result with a fixed machine, so the sleep physician recommended trying auto. I tried with no EPR and felt really bloated, trying No 1 on EPR as on 6.5 ramp setting. Thanks for your suggestions.
Cheers
Steve

stephennic

Post by stephennic » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:02 am

kteague wrote:Hello and welcome. Is your sleep doctor and DME working with you on all these changes? I'm surprised you've been able to try so many machines. It may be that some minor tweaks to settings would suffice rather than keep changing machines. I can only encourage you with my story that sensations I thought were intolerable I now have to laugh about. Once I did manage to get some consistent decent sleep, I was no so easily irritated. I remember hating some masks because the air blew on my arm. Now I position my arms to catch the breeze. Just know that a rough start isn't any indication of your future success (or lack thereof). Hang in there.
Thanks for the encouragement. I have rented various machine. Only used the F&P and Weinmann briefly and could tell compared to the airsense and dreamstation that they didn't suit me. I have mainly tried the airsense 10 and dreamstation. Its good to see with your experience things can turn around. I will keep trying but after over 8 weeks I am getting tired and frustrated.
Cheers
Steve

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Let's start with this: The machine in your profile is not an auto machine, but it sounds like you are now using an auto. So could you please update the machine in your profile, and tell us what the settings are? That will help us help you.

Have you downloaded Sleepyhead so you can see your data? Posting reports may be helpful to seeing what's going on for you.

Are you still having aerophagia (swallowing air) or has that calmed down with the current machine and settings?

Getting used to the machine so that you can sleep with it can be a long process. Optimizing the settings is helpful, so that problems caused by the settings will not disturb your sleep. Then you can focus on increasing the sleep.

How's your mask working out for you?
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

purple22

Post by purple22 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:13 pm

I used to have serious Aerophagia problems. I now use a Bi Level machine (bi level has different names with different manufacturers) This is far more comfortable. I use a Resmed, and my sleep doc, when he wrote the script said that those who use the Resmed seem to be more comfortable with it than PR machines. Sleep Docs love the level of data that is provided by the PR software, and I understand why. I still use a Resmed S9 Auto Bi Level machine.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:24 pm

purple22 wrote:Sleep Docs love the level of data that is provided by the PR software, and I understand why. I still use a Resmed S9 Auto Bi Level machine.
the pr software provides *less* data, and less easily used data, than the resmed software.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

stephennic

Post by stephennic » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:56 am

Hi all,
At last I have had three nights in the row with some sleep on CPAP.
The best in nearly 3 months in trying CPAP. I have been exercising each night doing about 1.5 kmh on the treadmill to try to increase my lung capacity, no chocolate, avoiding eating late etc. Trying to relax before bed. My AHI is still around 7-8 each night, half are centrals.

I have downloaded sleepyhead an encore pro, I have worked out how to view sleepyhead but not encore pro. But I do not know how to post some results on this forum from sleepyhead (please let me know how to do it step by step). I would love some feedback from the results Also how do I set up encore pro as I have it now on the computer but it doesn't show any results even though I have put the sd card in the computer.

Best night: Friday night Measurements: 6 Hrs 42 mins what is each one?
AI: 1.04 HI:2.98 CAI: 4.62 REI: 0.45, VSI: 0.00, FLI: 0.75 and PB/CSR:0.00%
Many thanks for everyone patience and encouragement too.
Cheers
Steve

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:02 am

Which version of Encore Pro did you get?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

stephennic

Post by stephennic » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:09 am

Pugsy wrote:Which version of Encore Pro did you get?
Version 2.17.8.0

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:16 am

That version should work.
What happens when you attempt to download from the SD card? Get any messages about Pro not being able to find the card?

Why do you want to use Pro? Any special reason? It's a bitch until you learn its quirks. After that just a slow crabby ass.
It doesn't show the level of detail that SleepyHead does except for the way it provides wave form graphs. Other than that there is no advantage to using Pro over SleepyHead.

I have some instructions somewhere on how to manage Pro but I need to know if you get any sort of message when you attempt to "download from device" before I go trying to find those instructions.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

stephennic

Post by stephennic » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:24 am

Pugsy wrote:That version should work.
What happens when you attempt to download from the SD card? Get any messages about Pro not being able to find the card?

Why do you want to use Pro? Any special reason? It's a bitch until you learn its quirks. After that just a slow crabby ass.
It doesn't show the level of detail that SleepyHead does except for the way it provides wave form graphs. Other than that there is no advantage to using Pro over SleepyHead.

I have some instructions somewhere on how to manage Pro but I need to know if you get any sort of message when you attempt to "download from device" before I go trying to find those instructions.
It wont download the SD card, I press import patient (on import patient wizard), browse select card then go through the files nothing happens.
I use it as that what the sleep physician uses and thought that it would be handy when I see him this week.
Cheers
Steve