Sleep Apnea and Diabetes?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cancun

Sleep Apnea and Diabetes?

Post by cancun » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:16 pm

I am not denying it but am very curious as to how sleep apnea can cause diabetes if anyone knows. I understand the link between apnea and cardiovascular issues and strokes but can't see the connection to diabetes.

Wulfman...

Re: Sleep Apnea and Diabetes?

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:21 pm

cancun wrote:I am not denying it but am very curious as to how sleep apnea can cause diabetes if anyone knows. I understand the link between apnea and cardiovascular issues and strokes but can't see the connection to diabetes.
I used to have a number of links, but I think most of them are now too old and not working.
However, just a Google search can fill in a few possibilities.
It's actually more like the bodily stress and lack of sleep in general that contributes to it......and weight gain and other things.

https://www.google.com/#q=how+does+Slee ... e+Diabetes

I think this one kind of sums up what I was trying to describe.

http://www.easybreathe.com/blog/the-lin ... eep-apnea/

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

cancun

Post by cancun » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:55 pm

Thanks Den, that was interesting. I have Type 1 so I know apnea has nothing to do with mine but was just curious how the two could possibly be related.

Sometimes I feel like the medical community just picks something and blames everything on that one thing. Like smoking is to blame for everything that is wrong with people. I know smoking is very bad for your health but can't be the cause of everything!

Thanks again!

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:30 am

Sleep apnea doesn't cause diabetes. Diabetes results from either loss of beta cells or insulin resistance. There are theories that treating sleep apnea can result in better regulation of blood sugar. It makes sense that it might help body systems work better because you aren't strangling from lack of oxygen every night. However, neither myself nor my family member had any improvement in blood sugar using an xpap machine. In fact, less than a year after starting apap, my blood sugar was so bad I needed insulin, but I do not blame that on Cpap at all - just bad luck. So, I don't know if it is a YMMV thing or just being in the group that aren't helped by cpap for that particular issue.

And yes, it is frustrating when doctors blame everything on diabetes.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:21 pm

Insulin is a hormone.
Apnea disrupts hormones--both production and utilization.
Ipso facto . . . {{{Do you need a power point presentation?}}}

purple22

Post by purple22 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:04 pm

I have no doubt, that Diabetes and Sleep Apnea are co diseases, just as heart disease is. Just like diabetics can often have anger issues, when at the core, they are very loving individuals. The other disease that is a frequent co disease with diabetes can be depression. That does not really answer your question.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:39 am

purple22 wrote:I have no doubt, that Diabetes and Sleep Apnea are co diseases, just as heart disease is. Just like diabetics can often have anger issues, when at the core, they are very loving individuals. The other disease that is a frequent co disease with diabetes can be depression. That does not really answer your question.
like all your posts so far, a waste of time and space.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Oltremare

Post by Oltremare » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:44 am

cancun wrote:I am not denying it but am very curious as to how sleep apnea can cause diabetes if anyone knows. I understand the link between apnea and cardiovascular issues and strokes but can't see the connection to diabetes.
Perhaps this can be useful. A year ago my glycated hemoglobin was 8.5.
Today, after a year with my CPAP glycated it is 5.9.
To me CPAP therapy has changed the life considerably. Maybe not for everyone so ...
I can't explain how this happens.

Hello
Oltremare

I hope you will forgive my language errors. To write in English I use a translator online. Thank you

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:19 am

I am unaware of any disease state that cannot be made worse by bad sleep and bad breathing.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.