Pros/cons of getting a new machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TRzzz

Pros/cons of getting a new machine

Post by TRzzz » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:31 am

My ResMed S6 CPAP is at its 14th anniversary. It's been in use daily and is still going strong according to my manometer. Interestingly, the hour meter display on the underside of the machine no longer changes. My sleep doctor assumes this means that it has gotten more hours than the software would have anticipated, hence it just stopped recording.

I am considering the pros and cons of getting a new CPAP because (a) I can, due to this one's age; (b) the blower motor will eventually wear out, so get a new one now to avoid sleep disruption; and (c) new models offer monitoring options that might benefit me, e.g., using ResMed's myAir app with one of their compatible model 10 machines. On the con side, I am between jobs, and while I have insurance through the ACA Marketplace, I am nowhere near meeting my deductible so will probably have to pay for the machine out of pocket.

So, what do you think? (a) Get a new machine now you idiot! What are you waiting for? (b) Prioritize getting a new machine when you have some income coming in. Until then, hang on. (c) If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (d)

Also, assuming I wish to stick with ResMed, I assume my sleep doctor will prescribe some flavor of the model 10 since it is their frontline model, but might there be some reason to consider the S9, e.g., cost?

amenite

Re: Pros/cons of getting a new machine

Post by amenite » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:33 am

(d) find a decent lightly used machine on your own, and get the new one when your finances are in better shape.

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:46 am

I can recommend secondwindcpap.com for a lightly used model. They were great to work with.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:47 am

You could probably find a S9 model online somewhere and save considerable money out of pocket unless your local DME offers a better deal since you will likely be paying cash due to your deductible.

The AirSense models are nice but the overall algorithm or how they go about doing their job is the same algorithm as in the S9.
The model changes from S9 to AirSense 10 was mainly cosmetic with some additional customization options relating to heated hose and humidity. They did add CSR respiration flagging with the AirSense 10 but that's not a deal maker IMHO unless someone has a lot of central apneas.

Check and see if cash price available is within your budget. Your current machine may go for years (I have a friend who still has his first machine ever and it has to be 25 years old now and still blowing strong but he does have a spare that he uses for travel and is available if his old, large and bulky 25 year old machine finally dies) but if it fails you may not be able to get a new replacement quickly...like weekend or holiday.

Here's a really good deal on a S9 from cpap.com
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... ifier.html
It's kind of an ugly pink (originally released for breast cancer awareness) but with the light's out you can't see the color but if it is just too annoying there are some sports themed skins available to cover it or you can even design your own from skinit.com.

You might also check out secondwindcpap.com for their new open box zero hour machines or even a gently used low hour machine.

Your insurance may or may not require a new sleep study to even allow the new machine to be considered an expense that would go towards your deductible. So that's another potential expense....a sleep study.

You have several options...I do think that having a spare "just in case" is a really good idea. That way Murphy's Law won't jump up and bite you on the butt on a weekend or holiday when it might be impossible to get with a local DME to get a replacement quickly.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:50 am

Avoid any S9 with the word "Escape".
Avoid the Airsense 10 that is labeled "cpap"
Otherwise, enjoy your new machine.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:04 pm

Echoing what others have said, here's a reasonably up-to-date database that tells you if a prospective new machine has data capability... yes, even a few of the newest models are NOT data capable. This links to one database but there are two views – use whichever one is expedient for you:

https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment/cpapmachines

https://sleep.tnet.com/cmd

If you don't like the pink color in Pugsy's example of that cpap machine for sale above, google 'cpap skins' and see what covers or skins you can buy.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:06 pm

send a PM to greyghost4, he'll fix you up.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:22 pm

Another member on this forum, STLMark, also regularly sells good low mileage used machines.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:43 pm

What is not stated, but seems to be the case is (1) that you don't have insurance, (2) that you have insurance that does not cover a new CPAP at all, or (3) your insurance will not replace a CPAP that still works. I had the #3 situation several years ago.

If you do get a replacement, please hold on to the old one as a backup machine. Use it every so often to make sure the seals don't dry out. If you have to be compliant on the new one, just try running the old one for several hours without using it.

My 2009 machine broke a few months ago, and I had to use my 2005 machine until the new one came.

TRzzz

Post by TRzzz » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:31 pm

D.H. wrote:What is not stated, but seems to be the case is (1) that you don't have insurance, (2) that you have insurance that does not cover a new CPAP at all, or (3) your insurance will not replace a CPAP that still works. I had the #3 situation several years ago.
I haven't checked with my insurance yet, but not having met my deductible or out-of-pocket max I was thinking the whole situation vis-a-vis insurance was moot. But, I may be wrong -- perhaps I should check in with them to find out if there are any savings opportunities to be had.

TRzzz

Post by TRzzz » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:41 pm

Pugsy wrote: Here's a really good deal on a S9 from cpap.com
It's kind of an ugly pink (originally released for breast cancer awareness) but with the light's out you can't see the color but if it is just too annoying there are some sports themed skins available to cover it or you can even design your own from skinit.com.
That does look like a nice offer but I think I'll pass as (a) I don't need a humidifier, and (b) it clashes with my PJ's. http://www.enjoysilk.com/silk-pajamas-for-men.html

TRzzz

Post by TRzzz » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:41 pm

Great info and tips everyone! Thanks.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:50 pm

TRzzz wrote:
That does look like a nice offer but I think I'll pass as (a) I don't need a humidifier, and (b) it clashes with my PJ's.
if your masculinity is threatened by the thought that someone would come in while you're asleep and pass derisive judgment on your fashion sense, you can always put a skin on the s9. pick something that matches your pj's.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:54 pm

TRzzz wrote:
That does look like a nice offer but I think I'll pass as (a) I don't need a humidifier, and (b) it clashes with my PJ's. http://www.enjoysilk.com/silk-pajamas-for-men.html
You could always get a skinit cover the pink exterior. $20-$30 bucks

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:08 pm

I agree that it's time for a new machines. Moving mechanical parts will fail eventually. You missed a great sale our sponsor, cpap.com, about a month or so ago - brand new S9 with warranty for about $350. They were clearing out stock to make room for the new Dreamstation.

But do check with your insurance. Figure out exactly what you will have to pay out-of-pocket. There are also some experienced posters here that resell used machines that they have picked up at places like craigslist, which takes a lot of time and trouble for them to do.

You will find that the newer machines are better in every way. The work better, they sound better, they are smaller, they make less noise, they collect more data - you will be impressed! An S6 was my first machine and we've sure come a long way since then.