New to cpap and acid reflux ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ckeith

Re: New to cpap and acid reflux ?

Post by ckeith » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:44 am

Pugsy wrote: I think someone has figured out how to hide multiple screen ids so they can be more of a jackass.
Does kinda make one wish that we had official moderators for situations like this though.
& just who is it that is the Jackass here Pugsy ?
I come here straight - I need no multiple id's
If they don't like my formatting, they can put me on the FOE - Ignore me - Leave me alone
& things will be fine - From those who would ambush & attack me I Will defend myself.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:54 am

Mdl399 wrote:Just started cpap with humidity. Full face mask. When I woke up in the morning it was because I was about to throw up in my mask and it was all acid. Never had acid reflux in my life. Would the cpap cause this ? I read a lot of old post but I'm looking for new info. Please help and thank you.
I don't know if cpap can CAUSE reflux, but it can make reflux that was already there worse, at least temporarily. Many, many people have silent reflux and perhaps that is what you have. Up to you if you want to take something for it temporarily to see if the problem stops. Now, I knew already I had acid reflux and was already taking gereric Prevacid. The increased acid issue went down after a few days.

I had aerophagia ONE NIGHT, which was after a year of CPAP and it was absolutely miserable, but my pain was in the area of the small intestine and no nausea. I don't know what others' experience was of this.

What can you do non-medicationwise? You can raise your torso up a few inches (can't sleep on your side this way though, it will wreck your back with the twisting). You could raise your whole bed by using raisers at the head. Don't eat any acid producing foods after 6 p.m. This includes pizza, dairy, tomatoes, hot sauce, soda, coffee and some other things (you can google for additional). Drink at least some water between 6 p.m. and bedtime. Consider a couple of saltines before checking out for the night.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

riley525

Post by riley525 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:25 am

I had this same experience on my 3rd night on my bipap. it was my first longer night on the bipap. My throat felt raw for a few days. I took Xantac, didn't eat anything 3 hours before bed and got a raised/slant pillow but still had problems. I finally called the dr. 2 days ago (3 weeks after the original incident), since I had never had a bad case of it before, and my throat still felt irritated. She told me to take Prilosec, 2 of the 20 mg tabs daily for 2 weeks and then one a day for 2 more weeks. (The over the counter box says only one tab per day, but she was aware of that. So if you have any special health issues you may not want to try 2 a day.) She gave me a list of dietary dos and donts. My sleep dr. returned my call later that day & wanted to insert a ph strip into my stomach....I guess to verify it was acid reflux? I said I was going to try the Prilosec 1st. Feeling a bit better today. Good luck!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:33 am

Grace~~~ wrote:but I don't think most need anyone else to decide what should be moderated from them ?~~~
I understand..believe me I do and to be honest I am on the fence here about using moderators.
But some of the pissing contests here are just so frigging distracting and ugly that they totally overwhelm the real reason as to why we are here that it makes me sick to my stomach to think what it might look like to newbies who come here and haven't had a chance to develop a thicker skin or skim over the ugliness.
We run off a lot of newbies who come here for cpap help and instead see all the bickering and shit throwing and decide that people here just want to be assholes and not really help anyone.

It's like some people just don't have any common sense or common courtesy and love making an ass out of themselves and to be honest...this is a cpap forum and just posting shit throwing because they can...I don't think this is a place for it.

Anyhow that's my take on things. I have left this forum more than once because I simply can't deal with the shit throwing jackasses who totally f... up threads where people are asking for help. Geez...assholes take it elsewhere is what I want to say. Maybe we need a thread called "let's duke it out and see who can be the biggest asshole".

There's a time and place for about everything in the whole world and that includes moderators here...we won't get them but we need them sometimes.
This is a cpap help forum...not who can be a bigger asshole and get the last dig in forum.

My apologies to the OP in this thread for further hijacking your thread but the ugliness you have seen here just irritates me and I find it embarrassing that it is interjected into your thread.

And to this bozo
ckeith wrote: & just who is it that is the Jackass here Pugsy ?
Did I call you a jackass? How do you know I was referring to you? Feeling guilty because you know what you are or did?
Sigh...but if the shoe fits I guess..

Here it is out in the open and for sure directed at you...you are a jackass.
You just want to stir up shit and you brag about it.

And yes...sometimes I can be a jackass myself and I am pretty good at it when I am. Don't ever piss off a redhead...you will lose every time.

I sure hope you never really run into cpap trouble and need real help because you have succeeded in alienating everyone who might have ever wanted to help your sorry ass.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:06 am

Pugsy wrote:
Maybe we need a thread called "let's duke it out and see who can be the biggest asshole".
Great idea.
...and Very FUNNY!

~~~I wonder if it would be mostly ignored or get a high view count?

...and to OP, Mdl399 ... I hope you get the acid reflux resolved with the help of the very knowledgeable folks who dedicate their time and wisdom here on CPAP talk.

Two weeks or so ago I had my first incidence of aerophagia? (but no acid reflux) ... and that very day someone posted something that made perfect sense and I realized that my earlier thinking had been incorrect *for me*.

In the hopes of achieving an ever lower AHI I had raised the maximum pressure on my autoset APAP thinking that it just wouldn't go any higher than needed.

It didn't significantly change my AHI and at first I thought I would be able to overcome the air in the belly situation as I am a lifelong swimmer / water-sports girl and I felt I had real control of closing that airway.

Then I read something written by one of the great people who posts here that just "clicked" for me and I lowered my maximum back down to 15. something and .... WOW ... not an incident since!

The real thing cpap and cpaptalk has been reinforcing within *me* is the empowerment to take control of your own health. I won't boor everyone with my health situation but MUCH of what I have learned since checking in here almost daily has had far reaching implications in to other areas of my life.

I am eternally grateful ~~~
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:31 am

Pugsy: plus---infinity.
I am grateful for the help I have received on this forum--nobody could afford to PAY for all the help here;
---except forward, which is why so many of us are here.
I am also grateful for the people who come here looking for help.
Not so much for the others, they know who they are.

ckeith

Post by ckeith » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:22 am

Pugsy wrote: ..."But some of the pissing contests here are just so frigging distracting and ugly that they totally overwhelm
the real reason as to why we are here that it makes me sick to my stomach to think what it might look like to
newbies who come here and haven't had a chance to develop a thicker skin or skim over the ugliness.

We run off a lot of newbies who come here for cpap help and instead see all the bickering and shit
throwing and decide that people here just want to be assholes and not really help anyone.

&

..."Anyhow that's my take on things. I have left this forum more than once because I simply can't deal with
the shit throwing jackasses who totally f... up threads where people are asking for help.
My Point EXACTLY ! - I myself was temporarily run off by Insult & Abuse - needing time to Heal
............................ I was damed near driven off BEFORE I received the Help I so very much needed

And I ask you, Pugsy - Has it been ME that has caused you to "leave this forum more than once" ?
............................................................ and if it was NOT ME - Then Who in Hell was IT ?

Couldn't possibly be some of the same Assholes with which I have had to contend ? - Could it ?

This place has a bad name for this sort of thing - & it's getting WORSE !

I came here and received Help & Guidance, but it has been foully spiced with relentless PERSONAL attack
..................................................................................... & Insult from which I defended myself -

EXAMPLE
I came here to this present thread, making relevant, courteous Observations as to my experience
....................................... with Acid Reflux & CPAP & was immediately targeted for Insult

CHECK THE RECORD

So stuff your BullBeans Pugsy !
I have repeatedly asked that I be left alone - Only to received further ABUSE

CHECK THE RECORD

& like you yourself ADMIT - This PROBLEM has a History !
& I must inform you, I have not been here long enough to be that History
I am simply ONE Newbie who has refused to be run off and who is quite capable of fighting back

CHECK THE RECORD

So if you choose to saddle me with the blame of this PROBLEM , and save yourself confronting your acquaintances
I Advise - Leave me Alone cease with the Insult - let us return to Acid Reflux & CPAP
and save your Red Hair a razor sharp close shave

lawr1000

Post by lawr1000 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:59 am

ckeith wrote:CHECK THE RECORD

So stuff your BullBeans Pugsy !
I have repeatedly asked that I be left alone - Only to received further ABUSE
I get that you are angry at some of the people on this board for the way you have been treated. But you have turned into the abuser and you chose to go after Pugsy.

Pugsy is probably the most helpful and respected person on this board. This is a fatal mistake for you! You should leave now!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:11 pm

I got exactly what I expected from ckeith.
You can't fix stupid or assholes...best to let them drown in their own shit pool.
Thanks for standing up for me though. I do appreciate it.
Kinda makes some of the others look a whole lot more saintly to me anyway. At least their insults are easy to read and don't give me a headache.
I think I will make an effort to make more diligent use of the Foe feature now. I said my peace and am done sparring with stupids and assholes.
lawr1000 wrote:Pugsy is probably the most helpful and respected person on this board.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:23 pm

Anyone know if the OP in this thread has ever bothered to come back or not? Or did we run him off with the infighting ugliness?
I don't remember seeing him registered or saying anything else in another thread but I could have missed it.
He's got some good replies here and that's why I haven't directly addressed his issue...I have nothing new to add.
I have never heard of cpap use making acid reflux worse...only improving or lessening it.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:29 pm

Mdl399 wrote:Just started cpap with humidity. Full face mask. When I woke up in the morning it was because I was about to throw up in my mask and it was all acid. Never had acid reflux in my life. Would the cpap cause this ? I read a lot of old post but I'm looking for new info. Please help and thank you.
MDL, for some people, CPAP triggers reflux because of aerophagia--swallowing air. That creates a lot of pressure in your GI tract which pushes stomach acid up into the esophagus and airway. There are a few things that can reduce aerophagia:

1) Try to learn to sleep with your tongue firmly on the roof of your mouth. How do you "learn" that? Practice ALL day--any time you are not talking or eating, your tongue should be there and you should be breathing through your nose. The tongue seals off the airway from the mouth to reduce air swallowing. This doesn't work for everybody--e.g. if you have sinus issues causing nasal congestion or some people simply cannot seal off the airway that way. But worth a try because it's the easiest solution.

2) Sometimes a lower pressure, or a lower exhale pressure will reduce the problem. But before you go "monkeying" with your pressures, learn how to use Sleepyhead to check your data. No sense in making changes that don't deliver enough pressure to keep your airway open. You can try reducing pressure 1 cm/H20 at a time to see if you can find the sweet spot--as long as your AHI remains under good control. Change your pressure relief to the highest setting which will give you 3-4 cm difference between inhalation and exhalation depending on your model of PAP machine and your pressure settings. Sometimes that helps. Occasionally, people need to switch out regular XPAP for Bi Pap because you can dial in a much lower exhale pressure. That will require your doctor's active participation.

3) There's a sleeping position that might reduce aerophagia--but I can't remember what it's called to look it up. Perhaps when the other members get done with their sh*t slinging, someone will come along to supply this helpful information.

As a newbie, you would do well to learn what other people cannot seem to remember--judicious use of the "foe" button and crickets are most effective for dealing with problem posters. Feeding trolls never works. Lots of us are here to help newbies, but sometimes we forget ourselves and poor newbies get caught in the crossfire.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:54 pm

Maybe someone with a spam button should start deleting his posts...I would, but I lost mine years ago. That may discourage him and maybe he would leave.

riley525

Post by riley525 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:18 pm

Is there a certain mask type that would be better to prevent aerophagia?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:27 pm

riley525 wrote:Is there a certain mask type that would be better to prevent aerophagia?
Not that I am aware of. Some people have mentioned that they might do better with one type of mask as opposed to another type but there's not any hard fast rules in that regard.
The aerophagia is more of a function of the cpap air pressure sneaking into the stomach and the mask is just the delivery system for whatever pressure a person is using.
Now if one type of mask happened to enable a person to use less pressure and using less pressure meant less air going into the stomach then in that sense it would help but there's no guarantee that a change in mask is going to equal a change in pressure needs.

ckeith

Post by ckeith » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:53 pm

lawr1000 wrote: [
I get that you are angry at some of the people on this board for the way you have been treated.
But you have turned into the abuser and you chose to go after Pugsy.

Pugsy is probably the most helpful and respected person on this board. This is a fatal mistake for you! You should leave now!

WRONG -
Though I to respect Pugsy for the advice she gives on this forum -
Pugsy would be WISE not to blame ME for the PROBLEMS that beset this forum -
It is NOT me who initiates the attacks and insults that are driving people off

CHECK THE RECORD

& regarding Who it is that initiates the attacks being made on Newbies & other Forum members:
Attacks that even Pugsy agrees occurs all to often - As she herself told us that she has left because of them

Who was it on this thread, who for NO Legitimate reason first told me that I was full of hot air ?
................................................................................................ LSAT that's who

Who was it on the thread, "fisher paykel icon no power" first decided to attack Newbie "D.H."
.............................................................................- telling him he was "full of Shit" ? -
........................................................................................... "Pilerider" that's who

Who was it on the thread, "Full masks, from a viewpoint of an engineer" first insulted member "ti424" ? -
...................................................................................................... "Pilerider" that's who

Who was it on the thread, "need to replace my machine - need help selecting new one" drove Newbie "
......................................................................................... drduke49"
from this forum ?
......................................................................................... "Pilerider" & LSAT that's who
drduke wrote: wrote:............ Lot's of bitter angry people on this site.
Shame because there is some decent info here that people need.
Don't need Facebook for sleep apnea. Color me gone.
This guy left just BEFORE I got here

CHECK THE RECORD

Who were they that decided to attack me as a, Whiner, Drama Queen, Grow a Couple, Pretentious
Girl in Jr High, and even likened to an Alcoholic Blob ! - Not because of any attack I initiated, on them
but simply because I format

CHECK THE RECORD

AND YOU PEOPLE WONDER WHY THIS FORUM IS GETTING A BAD NAME ?

Even Pugsy ADMITS to the problem and that it PreDates my coming here

So go ahead retreat to your FOE Buttons - As for ME - I'm staying until I'm banned -
As for me - I will - true to form - initiate NO attack or insult on any member
But if I see any of the Cliquish Assholes jump me or any other Newbie or member - Expect me to be there

So if they don't want an unseemly scene - - Leave me to hell Alone - & see that these Fools behave themselves

If you really want me to stop responding to your attacks - the answer is simple - STOP attacking me