How often do you replace your mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
3dmark

How often do you replace your mask?

Post by 3dmark » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:56 am

My Nuance Pro nasal pillow is six months old. The gel inserts have fallen off, and the velcro on the straps isn't working well any more. I'm going to do some DIY repairs, but it raises the question - how long do you all expect these things to last? Is replacing your mask/pillow every six months just normal wear and tear?

Pugsy

Re: How often do you replace your mask?

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:06 am

Pretty much that is expected even by most insurance who allow a complete new mask package at 6 month intervals (and some insurance will allow it at 3 month intervals).

The gel inserts on the sides seem to have been a common problem...they fall off.

Nasal pillows can last a lot longer for some people and shorter for others. I can use nasal pillows for months and months before they need replacing (like a year or more).

If everything else is still in good working order you can buy just the frame with the gel inserts if you wish.
Especially if you don't have insurance or have a high deductible and you would end up paying total cost for a complete mask package. Just buying the replacement part could save some money.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/nuance ... frame.html

I don't know if you would find just the frame on EBay or Amazon but might be worth looking.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:12 am

My sleep doc says to replace the everything "as frequently as insurance allows." Personally, I wish they would replace the parts with Velcro more often even if it means replacing the other parts a little less often.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:17 am

My masks last a long time (Airfit F-10), it's the headgear that goes downhill for me. It might be a whole different situation if I didn't use mask liners. My insurance allows new masks every 3mo. but headgears only every 6mo. I usually just buy new headgears off of ebay and stick em on the old masks. FYI...there's a "Pillow Exchange" thread here where you might find some new parts for a decent price. >>> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36070&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... w+exchange

3dmark

Post by 3dmark » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks everyone, that's super helpful. It tells me that it's not unreasonable that these things wear out within half a year or so. I'll probably just get a new one and start fresh.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:22 pm

My doc just says to have a backup available. She says that so long as you are regularly cleaning your mask, there is no need to replace it until the velcro fails, the mask breaks or leaks are becoming a problem. Some people get very little mileage out of their masks, while others get 2-3 years. It depends on the mask and the user. Just have a backup.

Also, keep in mind that you can get parts. For instance, for me, the P10 frame mesh is the problem, but I can replace that every 3 months. Therefore, I don't have to replace the entire mask but once a year, which is good since I use 2-3 different masks.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)