mouth breathing on purpose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mangos21

mouth breathing on purpose

Post by mangos21 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:32 am

hello all
I have uars which causes me to wake up 3-4x per night

I recently had my tonsils out along with a septoplasty which was supposed to open up my airways. unfortunately it seems like it hasn't worked. I thought losing 13 pounds during the surgery would help too but it hasn't. I'm about 3 weeks post surgery.

as I was recovering my nose was clogged and I had to breathe through my mouth. I think I was waking up less during this time.

are there negative consequences to breathing this way? I know it can affect facial development but I'm 28 so..not sure if that's relevant anymore.

your thoughts are welcome.

Julie

Re: mouth breathing on purpose

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:45 am

IF you were on Cpap while mouth breathing the therapeutic Cpap air would be lost out of your mouth. If you weren't on Cpap, then mouth breathing would give you a dry mouth, and if you lie on your back when asleep that alone would provoke apneas and snoring. But having no more info than you've given, it's hard to comment.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:54 am

Are you using cpap?
If you are using cpap and you are using a nasal interface mask then mouth breathing could cause sub optimal therapy if enough air pressure goes out the mouth with mouth breathing.
If you are using cpap and a full face mask where the mouth is covered then there isn't a loss of therapy pressure out the mouth with mouth breathing because the mouth is part of the sealed interface.

Mouth breathing in general can cause some issues with dry mouth which can affect dental issues like promote dental disease.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:51 am

I have to mouth breathe because the mask I use (Amara View) only comes in one width/height, and it's too big for my face. Opening my mouth gives me a better seal.

Given the sophisticated engineering that goes into a cpap mask, and the price they charge for it, you'd think that they would be smart enough to figure out that one size does NOT fit all!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:27 am

Shoes are made in more sizes--even really cheap shoes.
One would definitely think that masks should come in more sizes.
PS, Respironics: I am still waiting for Amara View in an extra small.
(((I have an itty-bitty polliwog nose.)))

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:47 pm

There are at least two people on this forum who use masks to allow them to breathe exclusively trough their mouths. If that is your choice, it is an option; although, I'd suggest you assess carefully the entire situation and then make the decision that best addresses your problems. I have diagnosed OSA and all-but-diagnosed UARS (during my last sleep study there wasn't a single obstructive apnea but a ton of RERAs), a deviated septum - most of what you described, and I'm using a nasal-interface mask with a bi-level CPAP at very high pressures, and it takes a constant management struggle to keep it all working, but it can be done. I tried a pure mouth-interface mask and it is also an option, although it gives me more trouble than the current solution, so I keep it in reserve. I've been at this for 13 years and I'm still working on it; I suggest you give it a good shot before settling on a solution.

McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:25 pm

To improve NASAL breathing: I like these Snorepin nasal expanders, I've used them for years... a pair lasts about a year or two if handled carefully:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98878&p=1090431&hil ... n#p1090431

The can be tricky to fit. If somebody has troubles then send me a PM and I'll explain everything.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:41 pm

Julie wrote:IF you were on Cpap while mouth breathing the therapeutic Cpap air would be lost out of your mouth.
*IF* they weren't using a FFM, which I don't believe they said.

don't assume.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:04 pm

Here are some comments, none of which are meant to be conclusive.
mangos21 wrote:I recently had my tonsils out along with a septoplasty which was supposed to open up my airways. unfortunately it seems like it hasn't worked. I thought losing 13 pounds during the surgery would help too but it hasn't. I'm about 3 weeks post surgery.
Have you been examined by your surgeon to see if all the swelling from surgery has subsided? It could be that more improvement for you is coming as the healing is completed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mangos21 wrote:I have uars which causes me to wake up 3-4x per night
3-4x is not bad, if you fall back to sleep within ten minutes or so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mangos21 wrote:are there negative consequences to breathing this way? I know it can affect facial development but I'm 28 so..not sure if that's relevant anymore.
Of course, it is more healthy to breathe exclusively through the nose. And I would not give up on the idea at this point. I am not yet convinced that your surgery won't eliminate UARs in the long term.

When you think it is appropriate, have your ENT examine your surgical sites and give you an opinion on the state of healing and residual swelling. Once you are satisfied with the healing, you should discuss any breathing or sleeping problems that remain.

In the meantime, be sure to floss and brush well before bedtime. Mouth breathing can cause dry mouth and subsequently bad oral health. Here is a post about a product I use every night for dry mouth -
For dry mouth - Orajel For Dry Mouth - http://www.drugstore.com/orajel-dry-mou ... tid=340685

I use this every night - a bit between the gums and teeth lasts all night. Put a dab on the end of your tongue and work it between your lower teeth and gums. Repeat for upper teeth. Apply it just before the mask goes on and try not to suck it down before you fall asleep.

- CG

avi123

Post by avi123 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:06 am

Humans and animals have noses for a purpose. Even if you sleep and use a mouth mask you then rely on the CPAP machine to filter and moist the air which you breathe, but what about the remaining hours of the day, are you going to continue with a blocked nose?

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png