couldnt do it

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dontholdyourbreath

couldnt do it

Post by dontholdyourbreath » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:01 am

hi ive had sleep apnea for as long as i can remember i also have narcolepsy (yeah i know, when it rains it pours) ive left if untreated for so long i am now having heart
failure, i didnt realize it affected more than my sleep but it affects so much more, im always tired so it affects my job, its ruined all my relationships (sleeping next to me is a deal breaker) and now it affects my life, i tried using an apap machine for the first time last night but couldnt do it, all was ok until i started falling asleep, its like
i just couldnt get enough air like i was breathing in what i had just exhaled and started getting really claustrophobic and when i removed the mask it was literally a breath of fresh air. am i using it wrong?

LSAT

Re: couldnt do it

Post by LSAT » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:10 am

Most likely improper pressure settings. Please register and fill in your equipment profile if you want help.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:43 am

Also, it could be the ramp. You may have fallen asleep before the full pressure was reached. Conversely (I think less likely), the ramp may have reached max pressure too soon.

BTW, most long term users disable the ramp after they become accustomed to CPAP.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:43 pm

LSAT wrote:Most likely improper pressure settings. Please register and fill in your equipment profile if you want help.
In addition, post the settings you use and any changes you or a doc made in your settings. Also, if you have ever had a series of successful nights of sleep, try to isolate what characteristics or preparations for sleep, how the machine was set up, mask used, etc. were present and perhaps different from your normal pattern.

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:26 pm

Ok, you couldn't do it last night. Doesn't mean you won't be able to do it. I'm guessing once you give more information and make some adjustments you'll find you actually can do it. I got off to a rough start too, even declared "I quit!" at one point. Once I came here and described in detail my issues and followed one suggestion I was as good as gold after that regarding using the treatment. Don't give up hope.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:35 pm

There are very few things Couldn't could do, because Couldn't failed himself before he started. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:04 am

Please post your machine, mask and settings so we can try to help.

Bons

Post by Bons » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:27 pm

Goofproof:
Please don't insult people reaching out for help. Drive him/her away and s/he will never use the apap. Let's try to offer some help.
Dontholdyourbreath:
Please don't give up after one night. The first night (or several) can be really frustrating for people. Sleeping with a mask strapped to your face and having air blowing down your throat isn't exactly natural. But it is for your health, and worth sticking out the discomfort and unfamiliarity. After awhile you really can get used to it to the point that many of us miss the thing if we are forced to do without it for a night.
It can be very helpful to acclimate yourself to the APAP by using it outside of your bedroom, when you aren't dealing with the stress of trying to sleep with it for the first time. Bring it out into your living room or wherever and use it while watching television or listening to music. Realize that it is helping you, rather than harming you. Take note that the air does leave the mask, reassuring yourself that you are getting fresh air and not suffocating. Check to see if the ramp setting is turned on, and if so, try turning it off. Sometimes the low pressure for the ramp feature is so low that it can feel like you aren't getting any air. If it is already off, talk to your doctor about increasing the minimum pressure - tell him/her that you feel as if you aren't getting enough air. Or ask here, and people can tell you how to change the settings yourself.
Also check the humidity setting. Do you have a heated hose? If so, perhaps turning off the heat setting or adjusting the humidity setting can help. I recently got a replacement for my machine, and the heated air drove me nuts. I had to switch it out for a standard hose and breathe room temperature air.
When you do go to bed with it, try meditating or listening to soft music as a means of distraction as you get used to using the machine. DO NOT give yourself permission to take it off and try again the next night; it's better to tough it out and get used to it.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Bons wrote: Goofproof:
Please don't insult people reaching out for help. Drive him/her away and s/he will never use the apap. Let's try to offer some help.
Dontholdyourbreath:
Please don't give up after one night. The first night (or several) can be really frustrating for people. Sleeping with a mask strapped to your face and having air blowing down your throat isn't exactly natural. But it is for your health, and worth sticking out the discomfort and unfamiliarity. After awhile you really can get used to it to the point that many of us miss the thing if we are forced to do without it for a night.
It can be very helpful to acclimate yourself to the APAP by using it outside of your bedroom, when you aren't dealing with the stress of trying to sleep with it for the first time. Bring it out into your living room or wherever and use it while watching television or listening to music. Realize that it is helping you, rather than harming you. Take note that the air does leave the mask, reassuring yourself that you are getting fresh air and not suffocating. Check to see if the ramp setting is turned on, and if so, try turning it off. Sometimes the low pressure for the ramp feature is so low that it can feel like you aren't getting any air. If it is already off, talk to your doctor about increasing the minimum pressure - tell him/her that you feel as if you aren't getting enough air. Or ask here, and people can tell you how to change the settings yourself.
Also check the humidity setting. Do you have a heated hose? If so, perhaps turning off the heat setting or adjusting the humidity setting can help. I recently got a replacement for my machine, and the heated air drove me nuts. I had to switch it out for a standard hose and breathe room temperature air.
When you do go to bed with it, try meditating or listening to soft music as a means of distraction as you get used to using the machine. DO NOT give yourself permission to take it off and try again the next night; it's better to tough it out and get used to it.
To help we need facts not present except fot the fact, Can't never has or never will be successful, waiting for this Fact to be incorrect, We may both be victums of a drive by. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

tlohse

Post by tlohse » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:04 pm

What ever you do don't give up. With some people it may take several trys before you can use it successfully. If you had a sleep study your DME or doctor should of properly set your machine to a pressure setting that they thought would work. It also takes several times of follow up with your doctor to get things right.
Thomas Lohse
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set With Heated hose and Humidifier
Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 Size M Nasal Pillow with headgear
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30i/P30i
Original Mask: ResMed Mirage FX Nasal
CPAP USER SINCE JUNE 2013

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:17 am

Dontholdyourbreath, my first nights on CPAP were a disaster because as I was just nodding off, I woke up again and this occurred for four nights in a row. I was on vacation overseas at that time and waited until I got back home to address the problem again.

The problem was basic and common! I am a mouth breather and as I nodded off my mouth would open and the air going up my nose was redirected out through my mouth You can guarantee that will keep you awake.

After researching the issue I tried a chin strap - it worked to a point but was horrible to wear. I then moved on to a soft cervical collar and also used the tongue suck technique. Perseverance paid off and now I love my machine and the noticeably better health that it gives me.

I'm not saying that mouth breathing is necessarily your issue but keep at it. It pays off in the long run and the folks on this forum are here to help you. Your body adjusts to having something on your face every night and having air forced into your nose. Experiment with masks to find what works for you.

Best wishes for your continuing treatment.

georgepds

Post by georgepds » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:22 pm

I did not use mine when I first got it.

My trick was to get the software that registered the night's sleep. For a few weeks I could not wait to get the report.. and to get the report I needed to wear the mask

Might work for you

Now it's old hat

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:34 pm

To dontholdyourbreath:
Considering your declining health, it now appears that cpap is your last lifeline.
It is up to you to HANG ON FOR DEAR LIFE.
Best wishes in doing that.