Why humidity with CPAP? (article)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
upforsleep

Why humidity with CPAP? (article)

Post by upforsleep » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:43 am

I had water behind both eardrums and went to the Dr. He said in children they insert tubes to drain the fluid but not adults. It can take a couple of weeks to clear up and it will, he says. He prescribed Flonase and gave a Steroid shot, also says to take allergy meds daily. The Steroid shot showed immediate improvement and I will continue the meds.
I have searched the forum about humidity and CPAP as I live in a high humidity environment with lots of rain and fog, but so many conflicting post I made the wrong assumption and turned my humidifier off according to this article. (Link below)

http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2004/05/w ... with-cpap/

The humidifier is back on and I will see if I continue to have problems. Humidity in my bedroom is 70%, so now thinking of adding a de-humidifier to bring that down.
This article is fairly old.

Has anyone had similar ear problems of the inner ear tube not draining due from blockage from allergies?

Krelvin

Re: Why humidity with CPAP? (article)

Post by Krelvin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:32 am

Didn't look at the article...

Humidity is a comfort setting that greatly depends on the environment and person.

Many don't use a humidifier on their cpap, many use it only in bypass mode (water in tank but no heat turned on) and many use it at all different levels with and without a heated hose.

Depends on you and the environment and what works for you.

I have never had issues with my ears related to using humidity.

I live on a desert area but my bedroom stays around 34% humidity year round, and never gets below 70°F or above 80°F in temperature.

Currently and for the past 2 to 3 years I use the humidifier on level 2.5 but don't use a heated hose. Note that level is different from machine type to machine type.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

upforsleep

Post by upforsleep » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:49 am

I posted the link for some good information for all. May be outdated but I think probably not.
The article is from a study of users and what they found on the drying out of NCPAP (nasal) with forced air, and how and why to keep passages moist.
Worth reading, I think.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:27 am

From a cpap point of view a lot has changed since then. Back then it was quite common for someone to have a cpap with no humidifier, now days we have many where the cpap comes with a built in humidifier and quite common for users to easily get a humidifier as an option.

Also you are talking about a specific problem that you personally are having (ears) which is not addressed by the article.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

upforsleep

Post by upforsleep » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:32 am

From a cpap point of view a lot has changed since then. Back then it was quite common for someone to have a cpap with no humidifier, now days we have many where the cpap comes with a built in humidifier and quite common for users to easily get a humidifier as an option.
I agree. And research from the study (maybe you Should read it) and others like it is why they now come built in.
I found what I needed from this short article and not here on this board and just thought others may benefit.
My problem is solved.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:43 pm

upforsleep wrote:
I agree. And research from the study (maybe you Should read it) and others like it is why they now come built in.
I found what I needed from this short article and not here on this board and just thought others may benefit.
My problem is solved.
then why so butt-hurt?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:48 pm

You went to the doctor or you went to an ENT? Yes, the reason why they don't put tubes into the ears of adults is because the tube is inserted IN YOUR EARDRUM. In children, this usually heals over (mine didn't) while in adults, it is likely a permanent hole.

There are many reasons for why you can get ear blockage and swelling including lymph nodes not working correctly. If you've been to a regular doctor and have had no relief, which is what this sounds like, then it's time to see an ENT. High humidity can make the problem worse. When the humidity is high, I turn the humidity on my cpap down.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)