Skipping CPAP while camping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DaisySmith

Skipping CPAP while camping

Post by DaisySmith » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:01 am

So Im wondering...Im looking to buy an RV and I imagine that rigging up my CPAP while sleeping in a tiny boxed in bed (with possibly no outlet) would be a real pain. I am wondering how many people skip the CPAP for a few days while traveling just because its a pain in the ___. I havent dared to try it yet because I hate being tired but then again I've been plugged in all night and still felt crazy tired the next day. I just hate unplugging everything and hauling it with me when I travel.

So the question is...do you ever just skip it for a few days? If so how do you feel?

My apnea is mild (11x per hour) and my pressure is only a 4 so my apnea is not considered severe (life threatening) but I dont want to try going without it because I hate feeling tired all day.

Cardsfan

Re: Skipping CPAP while camping

Post by Cardsfan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:10 am

My friend went on a cruise to Alaska. He didn't want to haul his cpap with him. The first night in a hotel pre cruise in Alaska without his cpap machine- he had a stroke.
I would NEVER sleep without my machine. Take it with you camping.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:28 am

DaisySmith wrote:I dont want to try going without it because I hate feeling tired all day.
Then follow Cardsfans advice. I won't even nap w/o mine, period. How can you enjoy travel, camping, etc. if you don't feel (sleep) good?
Cardsfan wrote:I would NEVER sleep without my machine. Take it with you camping.
In an RV you should be able to easily hook up to 12V - IF your cpap does not work on 12V I would most certainly get one that does.

There are many, many discussions on this forum about camping, travel, battery power, etc. Research them then build a system that will work for your situation or when the power goes out.

Paper_Nanny

Post by Paper_Nanny » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:35 am

I have gone camping (in a tent, no outlets anywhere nearby) and skipped it for two nights. I did okay. If I had the option of plugging it in, I would do it. The hassle is real, but for me, the hassle of NOT doing it is greater.

PR System One BiPAP Auto SV Advanced

NadiaK

Post by NadiaK » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 am

I have not taken my cpap when traveling. I know its not the right thing to do but I couldn't imagine trying to get all that in the suitcase on top of everything else.

DaisySmith

Post by DaisySmith » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:48 am

NadiaK wrote:I have not taken my cpap when traveling. I know its not the right thing to do but I couldn't imagine trying to get all that in the suitcase on top of everything else.
Do you notice a huge difference in fatigue the next day?

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:53 am

I think you answered your own question in that last sentence of your opening post.

You won't be a happy camper without your CPAP, you'll be a tired and miserable one.

NadiaK

Post by NadiaK » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:57 am

DaisySmith wrote:
NadiaK wrote:I have not taken my cpap when traveling. I know its not the right thing to do but I couldn't imagine trying to get all that in the suitcase on top of everything else.
Do you notice a huge difference in fatigue the next day?
I am definitely more tired when I do not use my cpap. But then there are days I feel tired even when I use it so go figure.

CPAPLowspark

Post by CPAPLowspark » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:03 am

I will be purchasing a batter back for my cpap (or a smaller travel version) because I do LOVE to camp but just diagnosed with severe sleep apnea.

Thoughts for ya'll - would you get the battery pack accessory for your actual machine to go camping (backcountry camping) or would you invest in a smaller, lighter travel version?
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: ResMed AirFit N20 Nasal Mask

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:07 am

If you think it is OK to go without treatment, you do not understand the damage untreated sleep apnea does to your body.
Are you going to be driving that RV sleep deprived?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:14 am

There are many threads re batteries, camping, etc. etc. Do a forum search for them and see what others have done.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:46 am

No matter what--I FIND A WAY.
Nothing worse than feeling like crap when you are supposed to be HAVING FUN!
My untreated AHI was only 13; but I never slept through it--I DID NOT SLEEP.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:53 am

DaisySmith wrote:So Im wondering...Im looking to buy an RV and I imagine that rigging up my CPAP while sleeping in a tiny boxed in bed (with possibly no outlet) would be a real pain.
one of our more clever members velcroed his cpap (without the humidifier) to the wall of his camper... kept it out of the way, but made it easy to get to, worked great, he reported.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:55 pm

I put mine in a separate carry-on suitcase. Anything to do with cpap or meds goes in it. That includes power strips, extension cords, AC adapters, etc. Anything medical does not count against your carry-on - lots of threads on that here too.

Once you have your spare mask, filters, etc. that all stays in the suitcase so it's not a big deal to pack. Be sure to also pack your duct tape, contact cement, etc.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:10 pm

Camp near the road, EMT's don't like dragging bodies very far. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire