Mouth Taping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
theoldman22

Mouth Taping

Post by theoldman22 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:47 pm

Those who tape might be interested in this link:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/8208 ... -tapes.pdf
Of particular interest to me are the two Q&A below:
Question: How can I get Micropore tape to stick better?
Answer: Micropore tape has the lowest adhesion to dry skin of all the 3M medical tapes. However, it has the highest adhesion to skin that is damp and then dries. You may increase adhesion by gently but firmly pressing the tape to the skin (or tubing) or dampen the skin with water, pat dry, and then apply the Micropore tape. Most people will notice increased adhesion within 5 minutes.
Question: Which of the 3M surgical tapes are the most gentle?
Answer: The most gentle tapes for repeated taping are 3M™ Medipore™ H, Micropore™, Micropore™ Plus, Medipore™, and Transpore™ White tapes

Hannibal 2

Re: Mouth Taping

Post by Hannibal 2 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:17 am

Anyone tried medical silicone tape for mouth taping? I use it to protect against mask pressure sores on the bridge of my nose, it adheres really well to skin but easy to peel off, I re-use it several times before replacing.
In the UK there's a product called Siltape, it comes in 2 different widths, I use the 2cm for my purpose but I reckon the 4cm one may be ideal for mouth taping, although I haven't tried it for this.

http://www.advancis.co.uk/products/othe ... ts/siltape

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sat May 06, 2017 10:36 pm

I find the Micropore PAPER version to be the most comfortable and breathable, yet it still sticks incredibly well. Then again, I'm a guy and have been shaving my whole life so ladies might have a different experience.

lazurm

Post by lazurm » Mon May 08, 2017 9:29 am

I've eliminated the need for tape completely, and after using this technique consistently scored 100% on mouth leak (the higher the percentage, the less the problem) by...using an adult sized pacifier and chin strap while attached to a nasal pillow.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:27 am

lazurm wrote:I've eliminated the need for tape completely, and after using this technique consistently scored 100% on mouth leak (the higher the percentage, the less the problem) by...using an adult sized pacifier and chin strap while attached to a nasal pillow.
My partner has been tolerant and patient of me trying all sorts of creative things to try and resolve issues with OSA and CPAP, but a pacifier I think would be a deal breaker She is constantly telling her daughter that she uses pacifiers for the grandchildren too much, the thought of me with one? Game over!

Glad it's working for you though.

Kohkie

Post by Kohkie » Mon May 08, 2017 1:40 pm

I recently started trying mouth taping again because of high leak warnings on Sleepyhead. Started with masking tape but it felt invasive and I just couldn't keep it on. Then I remembered I had some 1 inch NexCare Sensitive Skin Tape. So I tried it. PERFECT! It's very light but adheres easily. I found it was reusable and I was able to use the same tape 3 different nights. It's so light and comfortable that I forget I'm wearing it. And best of all my AHI improved with taping.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Kohkie wrote:I recently started trying mouth taping again because of high leak warnings on Sleepyhead. Started with masking tape but it felt invasive and I just couldn't keep it on. Then I remembered I had some 1 inch NexCare Sensitive Skin Tape. So I tried it. PERFECT! It's very light but adheres easily. I found it was reusable and I was able to use the same tape 3 different nights. It's so light and comfortable that I forget I'm wearing it. And best of all my AHI improved with taping.
It sounds very similar to the 'Siltape' that I mentioned, silicone based, adheres well but painless to remove and can get repeated use out of it. I've only used it to prevent mask pressure sores and was curious how well it would work for mouth taping, looks like an excellent multi purpose tape for us CPAP users. Thanks for sharing.

WhiteNoise

Post by WhiteNoise » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:09 pm

lazurm wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 9:29 am
I've eliminated the need for tape completely, and after using this technique consistently scored 100% on mouth leak (the higher the percentage, the less the problem) by...using an adult sized pacifier and chin strap while attached to a nasal pillow.
I've been struggling for years with a FFM (extreme dry mouth wakes me as much as apnea, despite humidification) and recently realized that if my tongue was in the right position I could use a nasal which is so much more comfortable. Problem is the tongue won't stay there so have been wondering about an adult pacifier and felt strange perusing them on Amazon.

Your post got my attention! Are you still using it? Do you feel it blocks the air from leaking out the mouth due to tongue positioning or another reason. Also, does this prevent the puffing cheeks affect?

Jim W
Customization and support keeps me trying 10 years, not there yet.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:55 am

WhiteNoise wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:09 pm
...wondering about an adult pacifier and felt strange perusing them on Amazon.
Is your concern that your computer may be laughing at you and gossiping with other computers in the neighborhood? If so, don't fret - I have it on gooed authority that they see way too many odd things on Amazon to deal with adult pacifiers. As an aside: I just ordered some "2 inch 3M kind removal silicone tape" (kind removal refers to the ease of removal without pain or damage to the skin) to try taping. The Micropore I've been using plays havoc with my delicate baby-soft skin and my tears leave a puddle next to the sink when removing it.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/ ... 918&rt=rud

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:22 pm

Hannibal 2 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 1:17 am
Anyone tried medical silicone tape for mouth taping? I use it to protect against mask pressure sores on the bridge of my nose, it adheres really well to skin but easy to peel off, I re-use it several times before replacing.
In the UK there's a product called Siltape, it comes in 2 different widths, I use the 2cm for my purpose but I reckon the 4cm one may be ideal for mouth taping, although I haven't tried it for this.

httap://www.advancis.co.uk/products/other-products/siltape
$192.XX on Amazon. Is it that expensive in the UK?

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Cpapian wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:22 pm
Hannibal 2 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 1:17 am

httap://www.advancis.co.uk/products/other-products/siltape
$192.XX on Amazon. Is it that expensive in the UK?
Are you buying in bulk?

SILTAPE SOFT SILICONE PERFORATED TAPE 4CM X 1.5M - 4CM X 1.5M https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008SSU3X0/ ... MBb3VDB4K4

WhiteNoise

Post by WhiteNoise » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:57 pm

JimW159 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:55 am
WhiteNoise wrote:
Is your concern that your computer may be laughing at you and gossiping with other computers in the neighborhood? If so, don't fret - I have it on gooed authority that they see way too many odd things on Amazon to deal with adult pacifiers. As an aside: I just ordered some "2 inch 3M kind removal silicone tape" (kind removal refers to the ease of removal without pain or damage to the skin) to try taping. The Micropore I've been using plays havoc with my delicate baby-soft skin and my tears leave a puddle next to the sink when removing it.
Perhaps it was the related association to an apparent fetish group that wears adult "huggies" while being "pacified" with them. "To each his own I guess" :shock:

I have recently started using Micropore tape and find it working much better than the other 3M (Transpore, which leaves residue and can tear skin) I'll be interested in your appraisal of the Silicone Tape!
Customization and support keeps me trying 10 years, not there yet.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:26 pm

WhiteNoise wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:57 pm
JimW159 wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:
Perhaps it was the related association to an apparent fetish group that wears adult "huggies" while being "pacified" with them. "To each his own I guess" :shock:

I have recently started using Micropore tape and find it working much better than the other 3M (Transpore, which leaves residue and can tear skin) I'll be interested in your appraisal of the Silicone Tape!
Transpore and I don't get along... blech... micropore leaves a little residue, but nothing compared to transpore.

3m makes a whole bunch of different medical tapes.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:54 pm

JimW159 wrote:
...don't fret - I have it on gooed authority that they see way too many odd things on Amazon to deal with adult pacifiers.
Talk about a Fruedian slip! Maybe there are no mistakes in spelling after all.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:07 am

yaconsult wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 10:36 pm
I find the Micropore PAPER version to be the most comfortable and breathable, yet it still sticks incredibly well. Then again, I'm a guy and have been shaving my whole life so ladies might have a different experience.
I've been using the paper tape for six years and it works really well.

But lazurm, I'm really intrigued about the pacifier. May give it a whirl, and hubby might too because he can't use tape successfully with his beard. And though I've used tape for six years, I've hated every minute of it :|