How to sleep more than 4 hours on cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tiredandscared

How to sleep more than 4 hours on cpap

Post by tiredandscared » Sat May 20, 2017 1:14 am

I've been having difficulties adjusting to treatment. I'm unable to sleep more than 4-5 hours at a time with cpap. And this has made it exceptionally hard to get a good nights sleep. I usually end up with chopped up sleep or 50/50 divided between sleep apnea sleep and non-treated sleep. How do you achieve 8 hours without awakenings? Is that possible or do I have to settle for chopped up sleep for the rest of my life?
Last edited by tiredandscared on Sat May 20, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

kteague

Re: How to sleep more than 8 hours on cpap

Post by kteague » Sat May 20, 2017 1:33 am

Please tell us what steps have already been taken...

Has your data been checked lately to see if your treatment is working well for you?
Have you assessed any meds or supplements to see if they are known to disturb sleep?
Have you been checked for medical conditions (like thyroid dysfunction, etc.)
Do you have any issues with jumpy legs?
Do you have any pain conditions disturbing your sleep?

Desribe your sleep in a little more detail. Is the 4-5 hours you get on CPAP solid and seem to be restful? Or is it shallow and restless? Does your lifestyle permit a flexible sleeping scgedule? If you can get decent sleep in solid blocks of 4-5 hours, and those hours seem good, maybe you could plan on getting two separate chunks of sleep with your CPAP. Not the ideal solution, but I would consider this better for you than half the night off the machine. At one time I was getting my sleep in chunks out of necessity, then over time began to work on more sustained sleep.

syddraf

Post by syddraf » Sat May 20, 2017 1:35 am

once i go down i am out for the count. i don't even roll off my back barring a mask issue or the need for a bathroom .i average 7.4 therapy hours on my machine a night. its actually a minor problem cause i wake up with a sore back in the mornings form not moving. Are you using the ramp feature or any breathing relief? i am a 16 for pressure and i start my ramp at 9 and let it go over ten minuets as i lay there with the machine. if i don't use the ramp i find the full pressure is a little to much to breath against right off the bat so this lets me get good and comfortable as it builds pressure. i also have the breathing relief on my system set at a 3 so i don't have to fight so hard on the exhale that is enough to keep me asleep. now i don't really sleep more than 8 hours cause my humidifier runs mostly dry and that ends up waking me.

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Sat May 20, 2017 1:48 am

kteague wrote:Please tell us what steps have already been taken...

Has your data been checked lately to see if your treatment is working well for you?
Have you assessed any meds or supplements to see if they are known to disturb sleep?
Have you been checked for medical conditions (like thyroid dysfunction, etc.)
Do you have any issues with jumpy legs?
Do you have any pain conditions disturbing your sleep?.
1. It only works half of the alloted amount of sleep that I need.
2.I usually take melatonin and i have occasionally taken sedative antihistamines(a few times). But none of them should affect sleep apnea.
3. No.
4. Not that I know of no
5. I have no pain condition. Possible depression.
kteague wrote: Desribe your sleep in a little more detail. Is the 4-5 hours you get on CPAP solid and seem to be restful? Or is it shallow and restless? Does your lifestyle permit a flexible sleeping scgedule? If you can get decent sleep in solid blocks of 4-5 hours, and those hours seem good, maybe you could plan on getting two separate chunks of sleep with your CPAP. Not the ideal solution, but I would consider this better for you than half the night off the machine. At one time I was getting my sleep in chunks out of necessity, then over time began to work on more sustained sleep.
The 4-5 hours I get are solid. But then I usually(if i'm lucky) get another 1-3 hours of chopped up sleep, where I wake up all the time. I can't seem to maintain consistent uninterrupted sleep beyond the first 4-5 hour interval. I dont seem to ever get any consistent sleep after getting sleep apnea and treating it with CPAP.

My stats look like this: Image
Last edited by tiredandscared on Sat May 20, 2017 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.