just joined the club

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

just joined the club

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:21 pm

After many years of OSA, and after trying to fix it the hard way (UVPP in 2003 - If anyone is remotely contemplating having surgery, talk to me first and I will do my best to talk you out of it), I have finally moved onto CPAP. Last night was my first night on the machine - not great, but I did manage to use it the whole night. I have a ResMed S8 Elite with heated humidifier, and the Swift nasal mask. I hate the mask (actually, the mask is okay - the straps are horrible, though) and want to know if anyone has a suggestion for an alternative. I usually sleep on my sides (both, I move around while I sleep).

I am open to your suggestions and reviews of the masks that you have tried. And am more than willing to buy a few in order to find one that works right.

And, right after I left the respiratory therapist with my brand new stuff, I stopped off and ordered a high quality elliptical trainer for the house, and I am determined to get off this machine as soon as possible, and am convinced that lopping off all the excess weight will help me do that.

I should add that I have read many of the posts on here and find the site to be very helpful. I have learned a lot from everyone. Thanks.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:40 pm

If all that's the matter with the swift for you... try some pad-a-cheeks either from padacheek (a forum member) or from padacheek.com

They work great for strap marks!

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:35 pm

I'll second that! The pad-a-cheeks not only stop the marks from the mask but just make the whole thing more comfortable.
I think you'll find that the treatment gets easier with time. I've gotten to where as soon as I put the mask on, I'm falling asleep. Keep posting and if you have any problems there is always someone here to help.

Brenda

ThunderSnorem

Post by ThunderSnorem » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:31 pm

I've used four masks, resmed ultra mirage 2 nasal, Ultra Mirage Full face, Resmed Activa (nasal), and Hans Rudolph 7600 Full face.

I've not tried any masks with nasal pillows. However, I LOVE the Activa. It is great for side sleeping and very comfortable. Everyone has their favorite mask, and this one is mine.

That's my two cents, hope it helps!