Full face masks - any suggestions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
swifty

Full face masks - any suggestions?

Post by swifty » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:33 am

Hi
firstly I'm new to this site and I've found it such a great support since finding out I have OSA. Its been really helpful reading the many topics - so thanks to all!

Now I have been on APAP for 2 months now and have tried the ComfortLite, ComfortLite2, Comfort Gel then finally settled on the Mirage Activa. But it seems I do wake up through the night with air blowing out my mouth. So I use a chinstrap to keep it shut (and its uncomfortable)

My doc said many people get this at the start of therapy and that usually they stop doing it after a while.... but that hasn't happened.

so I'm wondering on any advice about full face masks like the Mirage Ultra? any recommendations? any masks to avoid? any other problems like moisture, dry mouth etc?

thanks!

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:40 am

Your doc is wrong only a fraction of us stop "mouthbreathing" and losing therapy. Most of us tape our mouths shut. Can use a chin strap or ace bandage too, but the tape for a lot of us is key.

Lots of threads under taping.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:42 am

Personally I think the following is true:

1) At least 60% of the group who use nasal pillow, and 40% of the group who use "nasal enclosed (Activa type)" masks have problems keeping their mouth closed when asleep with pressure on.

2) Of this group, maybe 25% have the problem solved with chin-straps.

3) The rest use tape.

I am not a medical professional, and this is only my opinion, based on no facts.

People have more fun than anybody..

Handgunner45

Post by Handgunner45 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:08 am

oldgearhead wrote:Personally I think the following is true:

1) At least 60% of the group who use nasal pillow, and 40% of the group who use "nasal enclosed (Activa type)" masks have problems keeping their mouth closed when asleep with pressure on.

2) Of this group, maybe 25% have the problem solved with chin-straps.

3) The rest use tape.

I am not a medical professional, and this is only my opinion, based on no facts.
Dont forget

4) 100% of us that use full face masks dont worry about keeping our mouths closed.

"Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together." --Red Green

http://www.keepsakeacres.com

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:13 am

I suppose I am in the minority as I started out with minor mouth leaks and got them under control within the first two or three weeks (so sifty's doc may have been referring to people like me and therefore not completely wrong). However, I would guess that the Rx pressure has a lot to do with being able to keep air from blowing out of the mouth?

I realize that some things may be relative ... but I think that it would be interesting to get/see some real data behind statements like "most of us", 60%, 25% ... etc.

I have been reading posts on this forum for about three months now and feel I do pretty well at estimating some values ... but the number of mouth leakers/tapers is not a value I am able to estimate with any certainty. I hope I'm not starting anything (being how some recent threads end up in verbal wars) ... just trying to keep meaning of words and statement used on the forum here consistent and as accurate as possible (true, not really my job though).

Regarding swift's questions:

I have been trying for last 9 or 10 weekends to get the Hybrid to work for me with mixed success/failure. I cannot provide advice on the FF masks but feel that any mask used for mouth breathing will result in dry mouth to some degree ... perhaps using the humidifier on high or even using dual humidifier system may mitigate the dry mouth issues ... don't know for sure.

Another thing to consider may be pressure placed on your sinuses. I tried the Acclaim 2 nasal cushion mask a couple of weeks ago and was unable to adjust to the stuffiness. After getting a massage the other day, it occurred to me that while placing my face into the massage table head-rest and my sinuses getting all stuffed up ... it was the mild but evidently significant pressure placed on my sensitive sinuses that may have caused the stuffiness of the Acclaim 2. I think both nasal cushion and FF mask types will cause me the same problem. Just something to consider in addition to dry mouth.

- r

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

OwlCreekObserver

Post by OwlCreekObserver » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:43 am

I have tried -- REALLY tried -- to use both the Respironics ComfortFull 2 and the Fisher&Paykel Flexifit 432. Unfortunately, neither mask works for me and I'm resigned to continue using the ComfortCurve nasal system. or something similar, with mouth taping for as long as I continue treatment.

My point is that virtually all masks are used very successfully by many people, but no mask works well for everyone. Just keep that possibility in mind and don't assume that a full face mask of any flavor will work well for you. It may very well do so, but it also may not.

Sorry to be so negative. I trust that your experiences will be much better than mine.

OCO

roster

Post by roster » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:48 am

My recommendation is the Hybrid mask. See my post Rooster's Hybrid Mask Adjustments and also you can search and find other posts I have made on the Hybrid.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:50 am

I use both the Activa and HR 7600. Between a full face mask and a nasal mask, I prefer a nasal mask and taping my mouth. That's where I get the best therapy and feel my best. Chinstraps aren't enough for me. Taping made all the difference in the world.

John

ThunderSnorem

Post by ThunderSnorem » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:54 am

Sorry, above was me (as you can see lol) What's the deal with getting logged out after I know I was just logged in? I just posted as myself on another thread just moments ago. Oh well. . .

neverbetter

full face

Post by neverbetter » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:25 pm

How can you overlook the Hybrid. This mask is very comfortable, so much more so than tape!

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:43 pm

One of the problems I have with all the FF masks* (remember I use the Hybrid when I can, 700 hours so far), is a very dry mouth. Overall, I'm beginning to suspect the nasal pillow mask (CL2) plus some Micropore tape may be the best for me. However, being able to switch is nice.

* Full-Face Masks I have used in 2006:
UMFF - Too much pressure on my lower jaw.
HC431 - Hot and leaky.
Hybrid - I can make it work, but its not perfect....' '

IBTeri

Post by IBTeri » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:48 pm

I love my ultra mirage full face mask after using the heel hugger to keep air from blowing in my eyes. if it leaks. I have no problem sleeping on my side at all. But I only just started and to be honest only my second mask first was a gel nose mask.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:54 pm

I cannot provide advice on the FF masks but feel that any mask used for mouth breathing will result in dry mouth to some degree ... perhaps using the humidifier on high or even using dual humidifier system may mitigate the dry mouth issues
Whenever I have turned up the humidifier when using the Hybrid, I wake up
with the seal moist and its slipping all over the place. I must turn humidifier off and heated hose on to prevent this from happening..' '

Rooster, what humidifier setting do you use with the Hybrid?

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:04 pm

I use the hybrid. I keep the HH on 3 and use the aussie hose. My room gets to about 63-65 degrees at night. Never had rainout. Not a drop of moisture in the mask or hose.

Brenda

roster

Post by roster » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:12 pm

[quote="oldgearhead"][quote]...................................

Rooster, what humidifier setting do you use with the Hybrid?