New circiuts outgassing...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pfb3

New circiuts outgassing...

Post by pfb3 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:16 am

I seem to be sensitive to the gasses and odors given off by new plastics and vinyl. I'm running a couple of new machines, and wonder if anybody has good advice on how to "break-in" the new circiuts quickly to get rid of all the VOC's or whatever is given off that has that new plastic smell...

gaggy

Post by gaggy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:20 am

The smell was what that bothered me the most when I first started treatment. I thought I was going crazy. How could I be the only one with that problem. I just stuck it out. That part has gone away but I do use vinegar & water soak once a week. It helped although it may have just been time.

preemiern

Post by preemiern » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:50 am

If you use a nasal or full face mask-you can put a little vicks just inside your nose--that helps alot. I do it all the time just because I find the smell soothing and it actually helps me fall asleep. I don't thnk you would want to use it if you have a nasal pillow system though.

WindFlyer

Post by WindFlyer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:21 pm

I've heard it in the past (can't remember if it was from the manufacturer or if I saw it on the boards) that a nice long soak in soapy (emphasize- pure soap like Ivory or similar product) water will tend to draw out some of the chemicals in the new breathing circuit equipment. It used to bother me so I would buy new masks ahead of time so that they could sit and outgas for a while before I had to use them. I'm used to it by now so I don't worry about it anymore.

40,000 hours on CPAP
100% Compliant for 15 yrs.+

Mask breathers unite!