I need help with a new mask!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DBinAZ

I need help with a new mask!

Post by DBinAZ » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:59 am

I am a new CPAP user. 2 nights now. I got the ComfortCurve but I find that it does not release the expelled co2 quick enough and I feel as tho I am forcing the iar out of nose, not like nornal breathing. Plus i get mucho leaks when on my side.

I used a ComfortClassic during my sleep study, seemed ok, but I was half asleep when she put it on.

I need something that will allow me to breathe normally and expell co2 quicker, something good for side sleeper, and back, and comfortable.

I have been reading some info here, but it's hard to figure out what is most popular. THere should be a poll or something. maybe there is?

Anyway, if you could make some suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:08 pm

If you check out the equipment on CPAP.COM, most of them have user ratings and comments. HOWEVER....the mask that works for YOU is the one that's the BEST. Most of us have our "favorites".....but that doesn't mean it'll be YOUR favorite. Study them all and give it lots of thought before selecting one.....or two.....or more. I was lucky enough that the first one I picked (after lots of studying) was the one that's worked for me.

Best wishes,

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Lee Lee

Post by Lee Lee » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:18 pm

Finding the right mask can be a difficult journey for some people. That's because there all all shapes and sizes of faces, not to mention many different sleeping positions, preferred temperatures, pressures, etc.
I started with a mask that everyone seemed to love,(the Swift) but it didn't work for me at all. I felt I couldn't breathe out and it was noisy and leaked.
I now have a mask that I love, the Fischer Paykel HC407. I can sleep on my side, move around alot, and even sleep on my tummy without a problem. I have recommended this one to several people who love it just as much. It's very comfortable and light, and is the quietest mask I've ever tried. Not everyone likes it, though. It seems to leak at higher pressures.
The Activa is another really good mask for side sleepers. It's a little heavier than the FP HC407.
Do a search on this forum for the different types of masks, there are a wealth of opinions. But there is no "one size fits all."
The good news is that once you've found "your" mask, your treatment will go so much better.
Good luck!

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:19 pm

I feel as tho I am forcing the iar out of nose, not like nornal breathing.
Are you sure you don't need a machine with exhale relief, like the RemStar
Pro with C-Flex or one of the ResMed units with EPR? I looked at the spec on your CPAP unit, and did not see any reference to C-Flex.

At any rate I would suggest one of the more common mask types,either the Activa nasal cover type mask, or The ComfortLite 2 nasal pillow type mask. The mask with the highest CO2 washout is the Hybrid. However, it is a full-face mask that does not fit everybody.

People have more fun than anybody..

gaggy

Post by gaggy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:22 pm

Den is correct. Everyone one is different as to favorite mask. Check out the reviews. I have 3 different masks and different size pillows & cushions.
Right now it would be hard to say which is my favorite. I started out with the Swift and thought I could not tolerate it. That has since changed. After changing machines it works. Good for side sleeping. I also have a CL2 with both pillows and cushions. Good side for side sleeping. Also have an Activia which is good for side sleeping and very few leaks. A little heavy at times but it helped me with mouth breathing I did not know I did. Fits a little low on my lip so it keeps me from opening my mouth. Has a memory cell and you can fit straps loose. I have gotten to the point that I change from each mask about once a week. Don't know why I have started this. Something will bother me and I change. Each mask has a different feel and comfort. Good luck, just stick with it. I was lucky to have a RT that listened to my complaints and let me change. When I it was time to purchase my machine I had 3 mask.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:10 pm

oldgearhead wrote:
Are you sure you don't need a machine with exhale relief, like the RemStar
Pro with C-Flex or one of the ResMed units with EPR? I looked at the spec on your CPAP unit, and did not see any reference to C-Flex.
No, actually, I don't know. It was not on my Rx. Just said heated humidifier, 7cm.

But the instructions for CC say something to the affect that the mask only holds 110ml and may not be enough for some ppl and you could suffocate from rebreathing the exhaled air.

I don't know. So confused.

DBinAZ

Post by DBinAZ » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:12 pm

oops, wasn't logged in sorry. it was me tho.

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:16 pm

On the exhale relief. I was thinking that too, but 7 cm is pretty low pressure and exhale relief may not make much difference. But everyone is different an it might help you.

DBinAZ

Post by DBinAZ » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:31 pm

Well, I used it again last night. Was a little better. I got about 3hrs sleep with it on. I ordered a Mirage Activa Mask with Headgear - Shallow from cpap.com overnight, so I will have it tonite.

I hope it's better. I need sleep. Falling asleep at a new job is not cool.

D

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:54 pm

Hello DBinAZ,

The comfort Curve needs a minimum pressure of 6. The 110ml is the volume of air the mask and I think the tubing holds.

I once started a topic about minmum pressure.

viewtopic.php?t=13933&highlight=minimum+pressure

Good luck with finding an interface. Do not give up, there is one right for everyone.

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

DBinAZ

Post by DBinAZ » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:09 pm

after reading a lot in this forum, I am returning my M Series Basic and getting the M Series Pro with C-Flex and SmartCard.

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:06 pm

The Activa should work for you.
It seems to be a good choice for lots of cpap users! The leakproof fit and comfort it provided me was worth the bellowing action that some complain about! Good Luck tinight!

DBinAZ

Post by DBinAZ » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:40 am

Ok, used the Activa last night.

I got more sleep. about 11pm-3:30am
was sweating like a bastard tho.
It is heavy and bulky.
No leaks that i could tell, even sleeping on side.
I didn't like the in and out moving on my face when i breathed. kind of annoying.

I don't feel rested today tho. Falling asleep as i type this. Felt more rested with the comfort curve. I got the insurance from cpap.com, so I may try the comfort lite 2 next.

I also get my new machine today. The one in my sig.

D

curtcurt46

Post by curtcurt46 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:15 pm

You are going to have to get more sleep than 41/2 hours with your CPAP. Probably at least 7 hours under the hood. How many hours do you use the cpap daily?
I like the activa and use it most of the time. The F&P 407 is another good choice. It's much lighter.

DBinAZ

Post by DBinAZ » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:52 pm

i just started saturday. Don't think I have gone much more than 4 yet.

Maybe using the c-flex unit tonite will help. Sometimes my ears pop from trying to exhale.