Auto CPAP for travel? where to even start?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
grizfan

Auto CPAP for travel? where to even start?

Post by grizfan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi - I've been using the DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11 for nearly 2 years now, and have been very fortunate with the results. It's set to 10, and I use the humidifier every night (but where I live, humidity under 20% is pretty common).

So... I travel internationally 3 or 4 times a year (US to UK mostly), with a few other flights/road trips mixed in. Fortunately, everywhere I go, I have access to electricity. For all the positive experience I've had with my DreamStation, it's not the best traveling device. Big, bulky and with an external power brick. I typically load it in my backpack with my computer and other gear for carry-on (I try to avoid checking backs when possible). I'd really like something smaller & lighter for travel, and as a backup, just in case something goes wrong with my main machine. But, I don't know where to start.

Should I start with my sleep doc? I may not get an appointment in time for my next big trip at the end of the month. Also, my local medical supply store seems to be a lot more expensive than what I see online. So, some specific questions.
* do I need a prescription?
* do I need my doc to setup a new machine?
* any possible insurance complications if I use the new machine too much?

I'm hoping to find a fairly inexpensive (less than $500) small travel machine. I'm also hoping that the much higher humidity where I visit in the UK will allow me to go without a humidifier. Not sure if I need one I can use on the actual flight (thought that would be nice). I've managed on previous flights.

so, any thoughts on how to approach this and any recommendations on a good model to buy?

thanks!

Additional Comments: DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11
DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11 with humidifier, DreamWear nasal pillow mask

LSAT

Re: Auto CPAP for travel? where to even start?

Post by LSAT » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:31 pm

grizfan wrote:Hi - I've been using the DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11 for nearly 2 years now, and have been very fortunate with the results. It's set to 10, and I use the humidifier every night (but where I live, humidity under 20% is pretty common).

So... I travel internationally 3 or 4 times a year (US to UK mostly), with a few other flights/road trips mixed in. Fortunately, everywhere I go, I have access to electricity. For all the positive experience I've had with my DreamStation, it's not the best traveling device. Big, bulky and with an external power brick. I typically load it in my backpack with my computer and other gear for carry-on (I try to avoid checking backs when possible). I'd really like something smaller & lighter for travel, and as a backup, just in case something goes wrong with my main machine. But, I don't know where to start.

Should I start with my sleep doc? I may not get an appointment in time for my next big trip at the end of the month. Also, my local medical supply store seems to be a lot more expensive than what I see online. So, some specific questions.
* do I need a prescription?
* do I need my doc to setup a new machine?
* any possible insurance complications if I use the new machine too much?

I'm hoping to find a fairly inexpensive (less than $500) small travel machine. I'm also hoping that the much higher humidity where I visit in the UK will allow me to go without a humidifier. Not sure if I need one I can use on the actual flight (thought that would be nice). I've managed on previous flights.

so, any thoughts on how to approach this and any recommendations on a good model to buy?

thanks!
If you are buying out of pocket, there is no insurance issues.Buy on line.
There is no reason to get your doctor involved
If you are purchasing new, you may need a prescription. Used you do not.
You can set up your own machine...very simple.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:12 pm

The 2 newest ones are:
Resmed AirMini
Phillips Dreamstation GO.

There are 2 that are older:
Transcend and
Z1.

Ive been looking at them an leaning towards the Dreamstaton Go.

Doublev

Post by Doublev » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:26 pm

If you are going to want to use it on the airplane while you sleep then I think these mini devices are perfect. If camping and you need to run on battery then these are also wonderful too.

If you are going to setup in your hotel or vacation destination there are limitations with these devices (otherwise we would just all go out and buy the mini versions to begin with?). Humidification gets more complicated, some require you to use their specific mask, etc.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:04 pm

Doublev wrote:If you are going to setup in your hotel or vacation destination there are limitations with these devices (otherwise we would just all go out and buy the mini versions to begin with?). Humidification gets more complicated, some require you to use their specific mask, etc.
+1

Gramps and I are not fans of any of the travel machines.

grizfan, How about detaching the humidifier to leave at home? Between the power block and the machine only, the size/weight difference is not SO much different from a travel machine.

grizfan

Post by grizfan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:38 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Doublev wrote:If you are going to setup in your hotel or vacation destination there are limitations with these devices (otherwise we would just all go out and buy the mini versions to begin with?). Humidification gets more complicated, some require you to use their specific mask, etc.
+1

Gramps and I are not fans of any of the travel machines.

grizfan, How about detaching the humidifier to leave at home? Between the power block and the machine only, the size/weight difference is not SO much different from a travel machine.
I just might test that theory out. I might try a night at home without the humidifier to see how it goes. With carry-on, sometimes even a small savings can make a big difference when shlepping a small backpack and carry-on suitcase through an airport after a 10 hour flight

Additional Comments: DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11
DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11 with humidifier, DreamWear nasal pillow mask

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:07 pm

grizfan wrote:

thanks!
I would check craigslist in your area looking under Health & beauty for the same make & model you use now. Everyone should have a spare or backup. Choosing the same make & model makes it easier for supplies such as filters or trouble shooting a problem such as the power supply or humidifier. Not to mention that you know how to use it and hopefully know how to change the settings so no doc will be needed.
If where you are sleeping is air conditioned then a humidifier is prob gonna be needed cuz the AC removes moisture from the air and same with heating during the winter.

Insurance can be a problem if you haven't passed compliance or need to show compliance on their cpap. That does not mean you shouldn't have a backup esp if you can no longer sleep without a cpap.

Doublev

Post by Doublev » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:36 am

grizfan wrote: I just might test that theory out. I might try a night at home without the humidifier to see how it goes. With carry-on, sometimes even a small savings can make a big difference when shlepping a small backpack and carry-on suitcase through an airport after a 10 hour flight
Take the humidifier too! If it is a short trip, if you really want, OK.. but personally I would not. Why take the chance? I am not sure of the real benefits of the travel CPAP... my xPAP are not that big to begin with.. .the carrying cases with all that padding and compartments take up the space. But I don't mind carrying them on, 5 lbs of weight is not a big deal. I am new to this equipment and have traveled 4 times already with no issues. I set up my equipment in the hotel nightstand and the maids are respectful not to touch it (i wrap the mask in a towel in case they get the itch to clean the nightstand).

I only like the travel CPAP because on an airplane if i want to sleep, i think it might make more sense than pulling out the big cpap machine.. might be a little more discreet. But I don't do enough long haul flights.. even on an 8 hour, I wouldnt use a CPAP. It really needs to be one of those 14-16 flights and we have only done those four times in the last 10 years.. so probably I will pass on the travel CPAP