Machine went wild, didn't sleep much last night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Night Warrior

Machine went wild, didn't sleep much last night

Post by Night Warrior » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:52 pm

I'm 1 1/2 months into APAP, and last night my machine went wild. I always have pressure relief turned on, but it suddenly started to blow at a constant high pressure. I woke up. I couldn't get the machine to stop doing that after roughly 15-20 minutes. So I unplugged the hose. Put the damn thing back in. Unplugged the power cord. Turned the machine back on to reset it. I even checked for hose leak. Nothing. The APAP went wild and would stop.

Anybody ever seen that before? I was fully awake after trying to work with the machine with the lights on. Unbelievably, I never went back to sleep again so I netted about 3 hours NREM sleep last night =( I'm totally scared of hosing up tonight.

Advice appreciated.

robysue

Re: Machine went wild, didn't sleep much last night

Post by robysue » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:54 pm

Night Warrior wrote:I'm 1 1/2 months into APAP, and last night my machine went wild. I always have pressure relief turned on, but it suddenly started to blow at a constant high pressure. I woke up. I couldn't get the machine to stop doing that after roughly 15-20 minutes. So I unplugged the hose. Put the damn thing back in. Unplugged the power cord. Turned the machine back on to reset it. I even checked for hose leak. Nothing. The APAP went wild and would stop.
Can you post the SleepyHead data? In particular we need to see the pressure curve, and, since you are using a Resmed, the Pressure at Mask curve might be useful.

If your impression of what the machine was doing is close to correct, it should show up in one or both of those two graphs.

ajack

Post by ajack » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:49 am

if you use it and it goes straight to your max pressure, it sounds like a fault in the pressure switch that needs fixing. Try putting it on straight cpap at your 95% pressure, if it's the pressure sensor, it won't fix it and it will blow out to max pressure.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:22 am

As already stated, the first thing to check is the settings, especially the pressure settings. If that's not the issue, check all the seals and check for any obstruction of leak in the machine, the tank, the hose, the mask, or anywhere in-between.

If none of than pans out, disconnect the power cord for a few minutes, and then reconnect.

If that's not the problem either, call your DME ASAP!

Night Warrior

Post by Night Warrior » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:35 pm

Thanks everyone for the insights and suggestions. I'm heading down to the DME tomorrow. I've checked everything, and slept a scant 5 hours last night. Found the mask on the floor in the AM, which is a 1st for me. So, something's up.

I like the idea of going to straight CPAP at 95% pressure. Last visit to the DME, I suggested straight CPAP but the RT wanted me to stick with APAP for now. My average pressure is 13.4.

Robysue, I haven't used Sleepyhead yet. I put an SD card into the Resmed machine. But (this is true) I don't know what to do after that. My 5-year old laptop, 1-year old Surface tablet, and my brand spanking new Chromebook don't have card slots to read the data. I looked at Pugsy's tutorial even. If any of you know what I should do after pulling down data from the card, please let me know.

Now to face another dreaded night of crazed sleeping....

robysue

Post by robysue » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:10 am

Night Warrior wrote: Robysue, I haven't used Sleepyhead yet. I put an SD card into the Resmed machine. But (this is true) I don't know what to do after that. My 5-year old laptop, 1-year old Surface tablet, and my brand spanking new Chromebook don't have card slots to read the data.
Any of them have a USB port? It's easy to find SD card readers that attach to USB ports. They usually run less than $10 at a place like Office Max or Target or Walmart.
I looked at Pugsy's tutorial even. If any of you know what I should do after pulling down data from the card, please let me know.
Look at the pressure curve for the day before the problem started and the pressure curve for the days with the problem. Make screen shots of those pressure curves and post them.

WRX03

Post by WRX03 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:43 pm

Common. I got one on the workbench right now. Usually it's a circuit board replacement. But sometimes it's just moisture on the sensor that needs time to dry. My method of repairing is to first see if it is still doing it. Second I run a calibration. If it passes I ask the patient to try using it again. If it fails cal or the patient comes back, I'll replace the circuit board.

Other models it can be the blower too not sending rpm data to the main board. (I'm not sure on the Air10, so far they all been main boards issues for this problem)

kenny.arnold

Post by kenny.arnold » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:55 pm

Night Warrior wrote:Thanks everyone for the insights and suggestions. I'm heading down to the DME tomorrow. I've checked everything, and slept a scant 5 hours last night. Found the mask on the floor in the AM, which is a 1st for me. So, something's up.

I like the idea of going to straight CPAP at 95% pressure. Last visit to the DME, I suggested straight CPAP but the RT wanted me to stick with APAP for now. My average pressure is 13.4.

Robysue, I haven't used Sleepyhead yet. I put an SD card into the Resmed machine. But (this is true) I don't know what to do after that. My 5-year old laptop, 1-year old Surface tablet, and my brand spanking new Chromebook don't have card slots to read the data. I looked at Pugsy's tutorial even. If any of you know what I should do after pulling down data from the card, please let me know.

Now to face another dreaded night of crazed sleeping....
The surface has an ad card slot underneath the kickstand it only takes micro so I use a micro with an adapter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk