Update- Whistling sound

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tahera11979

Update- Whistling sound

Post by Tahera11979 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:39 am

Dear all,

I had recently posted as we were having this terrible whistling sound coming from the APAP machine. This has been going on since day 1 and we brought back the machine to the clinic several times just to be told that it is normal so I tried living with this sound which was impossible and had a great impact on our sleep.

Only after reading another threat online that the sound could be a malproduction I insisted to get the machine checked out and I brought it back directly to the manufacturer.
We have now received a replacement devise and there is no sound whatsoever and since months I can finally sleep.

Speaking to the engineers I have been told our machine has now been checked and there is nothing wrong with it. They were trying to blame it on the filters as we haven't changed them recently even though the machine was brand new and make the sound since day 1. We were even advise to take out the filters!?!

Basically they are again trying to tell me that I am imagining things.
At this stage I can see the difference I refuse to settle back living with a noisy machine.

Is there anyone who made similar experiences and what would you suggest me to do? We are overseas but I am happy to contact Philips in the US to make a complaint about this.

Has anyone been in touch with them and could pass on any person who could assist us details to contact?

I would highly appreciate your support on this as I am so scared to having to keep fighting for this without any results.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Update- Whistling sound

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Tahera11979 wrote:I brought it back directly to the manufacturer.
Do you mind stating which location?

Doublev

Post by Doublev » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Have you compared the sound with another machine? You said you got a replacement but i did not know if it was a dreamstation? The dreamstation does make a light sound. It sounds like someone breathing.

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi all,

Thank you for the replies. We are in Dubai, the UAE and we have brought the machine to the Philips dealer for investigation as I had a feeling that there was something wrong.

The replacement machine is exactly the same, Philips Dreamstation Auto CPAP.
The only difference is that the replacement devise is very quiet and only makes the breathing sound you guys have mentioned whereas our machine makes a very loud whistling sound which the engineer claims not to hear. I have even recorded it but he still says he can't hear it. Now I know that the noise we experiencing is not "normal" I am very reluctant to take back our previous machine. Do you have any suggestions as I am so tired driving back and forth. (Their office is 1 hour away from our home town).

Pap-Daddy

Post by Pap-Daddy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:15 am

Have you asked them if you can keep this one?
If they refuse contact Corp HQ the unit should still be under warranty.

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:30 am

Hi there, that is a good idea. By any chance does anyone have the contact of their corporate hq?

The device has two years warranty and we have only just finished 6 months.

I just want to make sure that they don't try and take us for a ride and try to return the previous clearly faulty machine.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:15 am

Put a small scratch on the case in an inconspicuous place, so you will be able to identify it if they do.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:37 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Put a small scratch on the case in an inconspicuous place, so you will be able to identify it if they do.
Each unit has a S/N on the bottom plate - take a pic of it so there is NO Mistake. Pretty sure it comes up on the LCD too. I know it shows up in the data printout.

Googling Respironics HQ for contact phone numbers here is one that comes up -
Philips Respironics in Murrysville, PA 724-387-5200. Whitepages is the most trusted online directory.

Keep in mind they don't normally speak directly to patients so you will have to find a way to let them know if it turns out you are not getting the help you need. Hopefully, you will be able to keep the cpap you have that is working for you.

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:52 am

Thank you so much for the useful advise. I will definetly leave a mark and also keep the number in case we need to call them. I have spoken to one of the agents today and he was very kind and seemed supportive so I hope that he will help us to solve the issue. I will hold fast to this one till we find one that works equally well.

If anyone of you who are reading this have issues with noise, make sure not to give up as it definitely is not normal.

I am so glad to see all your support since we started therapy. It has helped us a lot to get expert advise.