Marks / Creases on Cheeks from Headgear

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sheepy

Marks / Creases on Cheeks from Headgear

Post by Sheepy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:20 am

A persistent problem I have is the creasing marks on my cheeks. When I first started using my machine a couple of months ago,They used to last just a couple of hours in the morning and be just about gone when I showed up for work, but now they last well into the day. I think the Pico mask I got with my kit is just not the right one for me.

The problem has become so noticeable that I went to visit a couple of distributors in the city today and looked at and tried out a few alternatives. I have a full face mask one of them let me bring home to try, and at another place I tried a few nasal pillow masks which were unexpectedly comfortable and whose straps might be less likely to cause as bad crease marks on my face as my current Pico nasal mask.

The ones I tried and liked best in order of preference are:
  • Nuance Pro Gel Nasal Pillow
    AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow
    Nuance Fabric Nasal Pillow
    Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow

I actually bought the Nuance Pro Gel Nasal Pillow and tried it, but now I just have different marks.

I was wondering if you had any advice, insights or feedback on these models (or others). One thing I've read about the Nuance Pro Gel Nasal Pillow is there were several reports of the gelpacks on the heargear irreparably falling out after a few months. Any idea if the manufacturer has resolved what appears to be a quality control issue with that model, since it is the one that initially felt the most comfortable and is therefore at the top of my list? Also, is it true the nasal pillow gels have to be replaced after about 6 months? Does the velcro also weaken and have to be replaced? What is the cost of the replacements, and how long do you plan to keep them in stock in the future?

I've also read on this forum of people with the same problem who have tried things ranging from panty liners to Padacheeks.

Julie

Re: Marks / Creases on Cheeks from Headgear

Post by Julie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:18 am

Loosen your straps - they shouldn't need to be tight if the mask fits properly... if it doesn't, get a different mask. And get liners from Padacheek.com to help with the marks.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:51 am

Good advise from Julie. Also, wash the area with hot water... as hot as you can stand. Also make sure you apply your lotion of choice.

Sheriff

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:12 am

Go to http://padacheek.com for strap covers.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:43 am

Get the strap covers from Padacheek.com

Some people just get marks from anything easier than other people. Doesn't mean we have anything too tight either.
I get a line on my cheek if I lay on a wrinkle in the pillowcase.....that's how easy I get marks on my cheeks and face.

The soft fleece that Karen at Padacheek uses for her strap covers really helps a lot to prevent the dents and lines.

Now you can make your own but it gets more complicated when the straps have bends and dips in them like the Nuance straps and headgear.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sheepy

Post by Sheepy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:18 pm

I've already ordered the mask liner for my Pico from there. Waiting for it to arrive. Maybe I'll get the strap pads, too. In the meantime, I've devised a DIY solution.

BTW, I tried registering for this forum a few days ago, and I received the message below at the bottom, but I'm still waiting for the administrator to activate my account.

I tried sending the message right below the next day, but I still haven't received a response.

As I've mentioned, I look forward to beginning to post fully.

Thank you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 12:56 PM
To:
Subject: Re: Welcome to "CPAPtalk"

Hello,

After doing quite a bit of reading on the forum, I'm looking forward to my account being activated so I can begin posting fully. How long does this typically take?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 11:24 PM
To:
Subject: Welcome to "CPAPtalk"

Welcome to CPAPtalk forums

Please keep this e-mail for your records. Your account information is as
follows:

----------------------------
Username: Sheepish
Password: xxxxxxxx

Board URL:
----------------------------

Your account is currently inactive, the administrator of the board will
need to activate it before you can log in. You will receive another e-mail
when this has occurred.

Please do not forget your password as it has been encrypted in our database
and we cannot retrieve it for you. However, should you forget your password
you can request a new one which will be activated in the same way as this
account.

Thank you for registering.

--
cpaptalk

Sheepy

Post by Sheepy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:30 pm

Since I can't edit my posts yet, I just want to add that I don't *think* I'm wearing the mask too tight. It's about as loos as it can be without starting to leak.

Maybe it's just that even though I'm a middle aged guy I still have a baby face.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:31 pm

loose

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:01 pm

Julie wrote:Loosen your straps - they shouldn't need to be tight if the mask fits properly... if it doesn't, get a different mask. And get liners from Padacheek.com to help with the marks.
Adjust the straps laying down, at the pressure you treat with, not the RAMP Pressure. Pad a Cheek makes strap covers for many masks. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Goldie54914

Post by Goldie54914 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:19 pm

With me, I see them in the morning and usually put on my makeup like I normally do.
Nobody has ever commented on the marks. Except for my mother and it's usually "I see the cpap mask strap marks on your face."
But if it bothers you, try the pad a cheek strap covers and wearing your headgear not so tightly.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:03 pm

OP try this mask, it comes with removable padded straps and is only $67

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/devilb ... -mask.html

~UB

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:37 pm

If vanity bothers you don't use XPAP, the undertakes won't need to use as much makeup for the open coffin. Jim

BTW: the first answer is correct.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Sheepy

Post by Sheepy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:05 am

Thanks for all the suggestions (even the open casket one ).

I've ordered some Padacheeks which I'll try, but in the meantime I came up with a pretty good DIY solution I took pictures of.

Still waiting for my registration activation so I can post them. Is the forum administrator perhaps away on summer vacation and will be back soon?

knothead

Post by knothead » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:07 am

Sheepy,

You can always do what I do. If someone wants to know what the marks are on my face I tell them battle scars. Usually a good way into a conversation...

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:29 am

How about dueling scars. That sounds a lot more intriguing.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.