Best tips that you received from this board?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
parzad

Re: Best tips that you received from this board?

Post by parzad » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:50 am

DAYMX5 wrote:Although most are helpful, how truly vindictive and nasty people are on this forum.
+1000
While there are some excellent tips I have to wonder if the mood swings has to do with bad sleep.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 am

parzad wrote: I have to wonder if the mood swings has to do with bad sleep.
It wouldn't be impossible. I know that after a "bad" night that I tend to be a bit short tempered and less patient.
But there's also the possibility that some people are just plain grouchy all the time or they actually like being an ass.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:02 am

Firm foam cervical collar.

After I tried one and showed Gramps the large decrease in required pressure, he got one also. He also experienced a large decrease in required pressure. Now, we both sleep with collars EVERY night.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:06 am

Goldie54914 wrote:
So I am wondering what is the best tips that you received from posters on this board?
Good idea to start this thread, Goldie! If it continues to go this well (DAYMX5's post notwithstanding), it's going to rate being pinned to the top of the index - a good resource for newbies to read through.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:47 am

I am grateful for so many things.
Software, APAP machines, mask liners, the truth about DME lying, and sources for supplies when insurance sucks.
The kindness and compassion of so many people, the thankless struggle to dull the effect of bad information.

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:46 am

1st on my "personal needs" list was learning how to better manage my insomnia. I believe it is Robysue who seems to specialize in coaching people along. And her very nice manner in doing so. As a result my insomnia is much better, albeit not perfect.

Learning how to obtain clinical manuals, sleepyhead. Sleepyhead - fabulous.

Understanding data. Pugsy and Julie are always willing to dig into the data and help the OP understand it. And in a way that is easy to understand. I learn from everybody's data problems and the observations offered.

I still have a lot to learn and am confident that I will learn much more through this forum.

I read through the forum before I got my machine. I think that helped me adjust quickly.

The questions I ask my DME has resulted in her giving me more information - so double win.

I know there are many more good regular posters here who devote a lot of time and research in answering questions. I cannot thank you enough for your time and dedication.

Last edited by Cpapian on Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:31 am

Cpapian wrote:
I read through the forum before I got my machine.
I completely forgot about this important item! Before I bought my machine, I read through posts here and asked questions, so by the time I was able to get a machine, I knew exactly what I wanted, as well as what to avoid. Also helped when I got my second machine about two years ago. Learned about masks here as well.

Last edited by WearyOne on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:35 am

Make changes based on trends, not one night statistics. I try to go at least two weeks between changes

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

bigdave36

Post by bigdave36 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:44 am

I was very close to buying a So clean, didn't happen
Learning how to adjust my own pressure on my apap.
Hose cozy for comfort.
This is a great place for beginners if you don't get discouraged by the bs.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:52 pm

This forum has helped so many people avoid misery and unnecessary expense,
small wonder if some provider(s) have not felt a pinch in their pocketbook.
The very thought tickles me.

Sleeping Tiger

Post by Sleeping Tiger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Great post, and a little hard because there were so many great tips. I'd been reading the board for years before ever registering and sent many of my new cpap using friends to it. I consider this board my school, providing far better information than I received from my Dr. I'd get on here and just read regularly and search the archives for specific issues. Ironically, almost every time I considered registering and asking a question, someone else would ask it, or the answer appeared up in a search. I'm not joking when I said I treat this like a school, when I first started I was reading at least 5-6 times a week for hours after work. The information is here, you just have to do the work to learn it. Whenever I changed machines I would pop over and read here.

1. Getting a true data machine that I could access the data. My first machines provided to me did not provided this. Once I had this information, I truly was able to take charge of my treatment, and improved my treatment more than I could ever imagine. Even with my first brick, I was receiving medically treated "under 5", with a miraculous few times at 2-3, now with my data accessible machine, the rare times I'm at 1.5 or over I consider horrible. I returned to reading the forum after several years break when I got such a machine and began educating myself again on how to use it. Yes, back to many hours of after work reading during the week. Yes, completely worth it.

2. Confidence I could change my machine settings and not cause harm to myself. I could achieve this by going slowly and only working on one problem at at time, and changing one thing at a time. At first it was scary to make even one small change. Then with sucess, following the advice not to make a lot of changes and start wingdialing it.

3. How to access software and manuals. Sleepyhead has been great.

4. Don't over tighten the mask. So counterintuitive yet so true. Many of RestedGal's post were so helpful with mask comfort. You can use things like mask liners which may help.

5. Don't be afraid to ditch a mask when it's not right for you. At a certain point, no amount of fiddling will fix it for YOUR face. Either use return insurance, or swap with friends.

6. After time, the night and morning routine is easy to do and I don't even think about it. Just make it a habit. If I'm going to sleep, even a nap, bottom line is I'm using my machine. A determined and positive mental attitude is essential.

I could list a lot more, but I don't want to turn this into a Russian novel. However, I'm going to highlight a few more things that I think could help new users.

7. Different people have very different needs. For example, some may need a humidifier, liners, wraps, hose management, some not. I've had a few friends read this board before getting machines and decide they must have all these different things to make it work. Just start out, and add what you need as you go.

8. If it's overwhelming just concentrate on one or two things to learn and add the rest as you go along. Yes, it's a lot to learn but the reclaiming of your life is worth it.

9. Do not be afraid of if the forum seems harsh. Yes, there are some people who that is their personality, it's the internet so you will get all types. Yes, there are troll, egomaniacs, and or fools. Ignore them. However, this board provides such valuable information, not easily accessed elsewhere. There is power in numbers. I believe some on this board are harsh because they know this is the difference between success and failure, and that means how you get to live the rest of your life.

10. Learn how to filter the information. There is a lot of good, there is some garbage, and many posters have their own biases which may or may not be helpful for you. As you read this board regularly you will see these patterns and learn what information is likely good for you. If a lot of respected, established users agree, well, it is probably correct information.

11 Over the years, I've seen a lot of new users show up on the board, make a big splash, eat up attention and then flame out. Some are in denial, some are angry and want to fight, some are fake sleep apnea patients, and some are just attention mongers in my opinion. They seem to set lots of people on edge and take away from helping others, an that is sad, cause the power of this board is the help it provides. After time, they drop out. And nobody is sad to see them go, just sad that the true cpap users they couldn't overcome their personal issues to learn how to use this wonderful technology. If you happen to read this and you are one of these demanding users, and you really have sleep apnea, and are not a troll, this is my advice to you: just stop posting for a while, and listen to others and read. Nobody is impressed by this attitude, they think such a person is acting the fool. This burns bridges for such a user and takes away from others helping people in need. Not everyone is every right all the time, so it's a big red flag when somebody claims they are. My friends have discussed this and really all this comes off as is insecurity and a blowhard that just wants attention with no desire to help others. If such type of users really want to be respected, they will educate themselves, have a respectful discourse, and recognize they do not know everything, and there is nothing wrong with not being right all the time. If they just continue the way they are, most people will consider them a pest, attention monger, with no outside life, and an arrogant fool, rather than the expert they claim to be. After a while, people will just ignore them, starving them of the attention they seek, and they will drift off to other forums. This has happened a lot over the years, and some new troll will take their place. Just check the archives, cause many of these types have come and gone. Luckily, most of the time this forum is on point and extremely helpful.

Goldie54914

Post by Goldie54914 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:02 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Goldie54914 wrote:
So I am wondering what is the best tips that you received from posters on this board?
Good idea to start this thread, Goldie! If it continues to go this well (DAYMX5's post notwithstanding), it's going to rate being pinned to the top of the index - a good resource for newbies to read through.

Thank you Chicago Granny!

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Since joining this forum 9 years ago, the most valuable advice I have received has been to take ownership of my treatment and to pay attention to how the treatment should progress if done correctly. I learned early on to not look for specific instructions for changes but, rather look for underlying theories of operation in guiding changes. There is, after all, nothing automatic or plug-n-play about PAP. In keeping with this I have been guided in interpreting the data reported through SleepyHead, et al, in thinking through problems as they occur. For much of the valuable advice I wish to thank Pugsy and others for their generosity in sharing what is truly a wealth of knowledge.

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:19 pm

Wipe your face with a dry cloth before donning your mask, if you experience little itchies there. Can't remember who suggested that to someone, but I have benefited from the idea. Works like a charm.

And use lanolin (Lansinoh) to ease red pressure marks from headgear or mask.

And many others, already posted above.

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

cands

Post by cands » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:34 pm

Take control of your own treatment
Use Sleepyhead
Make machine setting changes slowly and monitor progress
Mask adjustment techniques, especially regarding tightness (or rather lack thereof) and very small changes each time.
Lessons on self control, acting with dignity and being respectful (not so much )