What the H Just Happened?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lahree

What the H Just Happened?

Post by Lahree » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:23 am

I have had 19 days of therapy with three different masks--Amara View Full Face Mask, switched to Nuance Nasal Pillow Mask and then to DreamWear Nasal Mask. I use both the Nuance and the DreamWear. I experienced under eye edema and felt absolutely HORRIBLE. Groggy, foggy headed and miserable.

On night 17 I FINALLY got my "unicorns and rainbows" and I slept soundly and felt energized and refreshed (although I still had the under eye edema). On night 18--the same. Slept soundly, etc. etc. Last night, without changing anything in my routine or mask--TORTURE. All night--TORTURE. I started with the Nuance mask (as usual) and now all of the sudden the front hose is driving me CRAZY! Got tired of fighting with the hose, so I switched to the DreamWear. That on leaked out the sides when I laid on my side (it has always had this problem--laying on my side pushes the mask out of position just a tad--enough to make it leak like crazy). I switched back to the Nuance--the underside hose mechanism of that rests (lightly) on the lips and felt heavy and the pillows were bugging me this time when I lay on my side. I tried, the rest of the miserable, horrible night, to lay on my back. Both masks feel awesome while laying on my back. Both deliver the air nicely and I especially like the way the DW feels on my back, but just turn to the side a bit and the DW mask pushes into the pillow and starts leaking.

I had 18 disconnects, switched masks about 4 times. I got NO sleep (mask was on a total of 5.41 cumulative hours that I could tolerate). My neck hurts, I am sleepy, irritable, but, lol, NO EDEMA. At least I know my edema comes from side sleeping when I push the mask into my face.

Has this happened to anyone else? I could try to train myself to sleep on my back I guess, which does wonders for the edema--which I am REALLY self-conscious about, but it's really hard to do.

I thought I FINALLY got this whole thing down and could have nice, restful sleep.

LSAT

Re: What the H Just Happened?

Post by LSAT » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:47 am

Sleep position , new pillow and patience. You had 2 good nights. Don't be discouraged because of 1 bad night.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:39 am

I also use the DW mask but I don't have anything other than minor leaking problems - I can even kinda sleep on my stomach with it. However, I do use feather pillows and it seems the reason I have always used them (they're very moldable) is the same reason I can adjust the pillows firmness and thickness easily and it allows room for the mask in most positions. I have never found a "fake" pillow that was so adaptable.
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:46 am

Aliens...they came for a visit.
They take turns going from forum member to forum member and screwing up their nights. You drew the short straw last night. The rest of us thank you for your sacrifice. That means more of us were left alone.

Aliens...that's who get blamed with bad things happen and we don't really know why. It's as good of an excuse as any.
Crap happens even to the best of us.

Most likely what happened started out as a small annoyance and quickly snowballed as you became more and more frustrated until it was no longer a small annoyance and then multiplied to boot.
It happens..we don't know why but it does.
We back up and regroup and try to hopefully avoid the same thing happening the next night.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:51 am

Pugsy wrote:Aliens...they came for a visit.
They take turns going from forum member to forum member and screwing up their nights. You drew the short straw last night. The rest of us thank you for your sacrifice. That means more of us were left alone.

Aliens...that's who get blamed with bad things happen and we don't really know why. It's as good of an excuse as any.

I think they have setup a base at my place...
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

lliann

Post by lliann » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:15 am

It has taken me 3 swings to fully commit to cpappery. The first time back in 12 when I has 33 episodes an hour did not scare me enough. The quattro mask and at that time I thought I had to make work because thats what they gave me and who was I to question anything (god knows they did not encourage questions) So I tossed that experience out the window from frustration. Years after that, I could not stay awake at work. New sleep study. Now graduated to 50 events an hour. Found this board. Learned a lot. Even passed the 30 day compliance ceiling, rented/paid/received the machine. Nice little s9vpap.
Tried some masks. But gawd, who wants to sleep with a bloody octopus on their face every night. It was ruining my sleep, all that air blowing, mask moving, dry mouth getting, belching/farting. And I did not see results. Or maybe I did. I don't know. But it was just all too much work.

This time I got a health scare that thank god turned out to be nothing. But damn it caught my attention. This time, because I am familiar with 12 step programs, I knew I had to accept and commit to my piece of the solution. Which was pitching till I win. Keep trying even when one night sucks for whatever reason, like increased allergies (lots of that going around) and bad dreams because I am dreaming up a storm now. Or when for no reason I show leaks up the wazoo because I am still trying to find a solution that gives me the best solution while being the most comfortable. Still octopuses, but baby octopuses now altho the n20 is sort of an octopussy but damn its stable.

I just share this because this can be a process. Even when we know better, it take some inner dialogue with ourselves to finally admit the only thing between us and success...is us.

So I am getting older. Not slimmer. Got that throat that makes me a perfect candidate for apnea. And apparently it is not going to going away by ignoring it, so I accept the little defeats and appreciate the little successes. It is all better than not doing it. My numbers still could improve but I am not dragging my tail all through the day now. I'll take that in exchange for my commitment to not let those alien nights get me down.

Lahree

Post by Lahree » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 am

MaxINTJ wrote:I also use the DW mask but I don't have anything other than minor leaking problems - I can even kinda sleep on my stomach with it. However, I do use feather pillows and it seems the reason I have always used them (they're very moldable) is the same reason I can adjust the pillows firmness and thickness easily and it allows room for the mask in most positions. I have never found a "fake" pillow that was so adaptable.
I need a "squishy" pillow! Maybe that would help. I have one of those that has the memory foam. I think it's like me and has a bad memory!

Lahree

Post by Lahree » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:18 am

Pugsy wrote:Aliens...they came for a visit.

Most likely what happened started out as a small annoyance and quickly snowballed as you became more and more frustrated until it was no longer a small annoyance and then multiplied to boot.
It happens..we don't know why but it does.
We back up and regroup and try to hopefully avoid the same thing happening the next night.
Maybe I am like a gladiator: "Those who are about to sleep crappy, salute you!"

Yes, I got REALLY frustrated! Then just plain mad! I will NOT give up, because I DID have two good nights--so I must be capable of having more, right? Right? Anyone? ::crickets chirpping::

Lahree

Post by Lahree » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:23 am

lliann wrote:It has taken me 3 swings to fully commit to cpappery. The first time back in 12 when I has 33 episodes an hour did not scare me enough. The quattro mask and at that time I thought I had to make work because thats what they gave me and who was I to question anything (god knows they did not encourage questions) So I tossed that experience out the window from frustration. Years after that, I could not stay awake at work. New sleep study. Now graduated to 50 events an hour. Found this board. Learned a lot. Even passed the 30 day compliance ceiling, rented/paid/received the machine. Nice little s9vpap.
Tried some masks. But gawd, who wants to sleep with a bloody octopus on their face every night. It was ruining my sleep, all that air blowing, mask moving, dry mouth getting, belching/farting. And I did not see results. Or maybe I did. I don't know. But it was just all too much work.

This time I got a health scare that thank god turned out to be nothing. But damn it caught my attention. This time, because I am familiar with 12 step programs, I knew I had to accept and commit to my piece of the solution. Which was pitching till I win. Keep trying even when one night sucks for whatever reason, like increased allergies (lots of that going around) and bad dreams because I am dreaming up a storm now. Or when for no reason I show leaks up the wazoo because I am still trying to find a solution that gives me the best solution while being the most comfortable. Still octopuses, but baby octopuses now altho the n20 is sort of an octopussy but damn its stable.

I just share this because this can be a process. Even when we know better, it take some inner dialogue with ourselves to finally admit the only thing between us and success...is us.

So I am getting older. Not slimmer. Got that throat that makes me a perfect candidate for apnea. And apparently it is not going to going away by ignoring it, so I accept the little defeats and appreciate the little successes. It is all better than not doing it. My numbers still could improve but I am not dragging my tail all through the day now. I'll take that in exchange for my commitment to not let those alien nights get me down.
This is my second round. My first one was 6 years ago. I have up after 6 months of trying. I didn't KNOW I could try a nasal mask! No one bothered to tell me or give me that option. They just stuck a mask on my face and said, "this will work" and when I complained that it was uncomfortable and I was struggling, they were no help and never offered another mask to me, so I thought it was that full face mask or nuthin. I chose nuthun.

I am trying again (and this time I WILL stick with it) because it freaks out my husband so badly when I stop breathing--'cause I guess that goes on for a long time. I also am really tired of being tired. All the time. My sleep study showed 62 apneas in an hour.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Lahree

Post by Lahree » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:24 am

LSAT wrote:Sleep position , new pillow and patience. You had 2 good nights. Don't be discouraged because of 1 bad night.
I will try my very best! Thanks!

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:33 am

Lahree wrote: I had 18 disconnects, switched masks about 4 times. I got NO sleep (mask was on a total of 5.41 cumulative hours that I could tolerate). My neck hurts, I am sleepy, irritable, but, lol, NO EDEMA.
I've been at this since 2005 and still get those maddening nights now and then. But those good nights dangle in front of me like a carrot and I keep pursuing that treat. Just a mention on those disconnects. I would suggest you either turn your ramp off or set it for maybe 5 minutes. Even if you have a machine that the ramp will stop and increase pressure if it senses an impending event, with that many start-overs you still are spending the vast majority of your night in that under-treated event chasing state instead of at a therapeutic pressure. It's hard to relax enough to fall asleep if we add sensing trouble to the mask issues. If you are not using the ramp, ignore all I just said.

Lahree

Post by Lahree » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:38 am

kteague wrote:
Lahree wrote: I had 18 disconnects, switched masks about 4 times. I got NO sleep (mask was on a total of 5.41 cumulative hours that I could tolerate). My neck hurts, I am sleepy, irritable, but, lol, NO EDEMA.
I've been at this since 2005 and still get those maddening nights now and then. But those good nights dangle in front of me like a carrot and I keep pursuing that treat. Just a mention on those disconnects. I would suggest you either turn your ramp off or set it for maybe 5 minutes. Even if you have a machine that the ramp will stop and increase pressure if it senses an impending event, with that many start-overs you still are spending the vast majority of your night in that under-treated event chasing state instead of at a therapeutic pressure. It's hard to relax enough to fall asleep if we add sensing trouble to the mask issues. If you are not using the ramp, ignore all I just said.
Thank you SO much!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:13 pm

Lahree wrote:Yes, I got REALLY frustrated! Then just plain mad! I will NOT give up, because I DID have two good nights--so I must be capable of having more, right? Right? Anyone? ::crickets chirpping::
Yes, you got the good nights and most definitely capable of getting them again.
It is frustrating though when we don't and we want them so badly...and our patience level has dropped down to below zero.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Lahree

Post by Lahree » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:25 am

And it's back to unicorns and rainbows!

When I got home from work last night, my blessed husband had washed all the bed linens, including the bedspread, and had vacuumed thoroughly, even under the bed with an attachment and vacuumed the drapes, had dusted everywhere, including the ceiling fan and scrubbed our adjoining bathroom. This created a nice, fresh, very clean atmosphere. I went back to my regular "squish pillow" and my beloved (ok, as much as I can love a CPAP mask) Nuance mask and I slept on my side. I slept like a log! I only woke up once to go to the restroom. When the alarm went off this morning I couldn't believe it. It was bliss!

I also did a comfort thing for myself prior to going to bed. I HATE the cold air from the air exchange in the front of my mask blowing on my arms when I am laying on my side, so I took a pair of very soft knee-high socks and cut the feet off of them and I wore them as "sleeves" that cover my forearms. Heaven!

It's little adjustments that have a big impact on my sleep. I also did as suggested with starting the air flow with the mask away from my face and waited for the nasal pillows to inflate before I put the mask on. This eliminated the "OMG I can't BREATHE" horrid feeling that lasts just a few breaths, but still is uncomfortable.

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO OFFERED ENCOURAGEMENT! I CAN do this!

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:43 am

Lahree wrote:And it's back to unicorns and rainbows!

When I got home from work last night, my blessed husband had washed all the bed linens, including the bedspread, and had vacuumed thoroughly, even under the bed with an attachment and vacuumed the drapes, had dusted everywhere, including the ceiling fan and scrubbed our adjoining bathroom. This created a nice, fresh, very clean atmosphere. I went back to my regular "squish pillow" and my beloved (ok, as much as I can love a CPAP mask) Nuance mask and I slept on my side. I slept like a log! I only woke up once to go to the restroom. When the alarm went off this morning I couldn't believe it. It was bliss!

I also did a comfort thing for myself prior to going to bed. I HATE the cold air from the air exchange in the front of my mask blowing on my arms when I am laying on my side, so I took a pair of very soft knee-high socks and cut the feet off of them and I wore them as "sleeves" that cover my forearms. Heaven!

It's little adjustments that have a big impact on my sleep. I also did as suggested with starting the air flow with the mask away from my face and waited for the nasal pillows to inflate before I put the mask on. This eliminated the "OMG I can't BREATHE" horrid feeling that lasts just a few breaths, but still is uncomfortable.

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO OFFERED ENCOURAGEMENT! I CAN do this!
Is it too late to add more encouragement? First, kudos to your wonderful husband!!! What a delightful thing to come home to.

My first mask was the Dreamwear, which was so comfortable - but, as you discovered, when you turn to your side, it can be nudged out of place just enough that you have air blowing onto your cheeks and into your eyes. My two favorites are the Nuance and the P10. For me, they make a better seal and aren't so easily dislodged.

Do you use hose management? Many folks here either use hose hangers or drape the hose up over the back of the bed so that the hose can rotate freely as you move around in bed. (Sorry if you've already received this advice.)
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney